A2 Aviator buzzing from the tailcap

anomalous

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently purchased an A2 Aviator. This is a great flashlight, but one thing bugs me - when you just cross the threshold that activates the Xenon lamp, you hear an audible noise coming from the tailcap. It sounds like a high pitch buzzing sound that disappears as you get farther from the threshold in Xenon mode.

Any other A2 owners hear this sound? Could this noticeably affect battery life?

Thanks!

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to CPF!

It's normal. The whine/buzz happens with almost every regulated light there is including regulated LED lights. The sound may not always there. The A2 is one of a few regulated incan lights and so you may hear the circuitry - which is actually closer to the head of the light :)

Take it as a hint your light is working properly.

anomalous

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the welcome! :)

Okay great, that makes me feel better. I get crazy paranoid when I buy expensive stuff. If I find a "flaw" I go nuts :(.

Thanks!

anomalous

Newly Enlightened
I became a Surefire fan with the G2. It was relatively cheap, with a pleasant beam and very illuminating. My prior flashlights were Maglites. I then bought an L4 LumaMax, which is awesome! I sold my G2 to a friend, since at the time, I felt it was absolutely superior to it. But then I realized how pleasant incans were to my eyes.

What pushed me into getting the A2 were these threads:

Why is a A2 so popular? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/136986

THE SUREFIRE A2 – MORE THAN A COLLECTION OF NUMBERS https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943

After I read those, I just had to get the A2! I'm a C-130 maintainer, and when it comes to inspections, the incans make it easy on my eyes. The L4 can be too bright at times. The A2 LEDs are perfect for being aware of my surroundings and for reading. Having these qualities in one flashlight is just great for me. Plus, the craftsmanship is outstanding. I have this constant urge to pick up my Surefire lights and turn them on for a few seconds.

-------------------
Edit: You've just occupied the rest of my night with that link :)

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, pretty normal.

Just a side comment: The buzzing originates near the head, in the electronics.

Also, try the A2 near an AM radio...