L1 Lumamax Tailcap Question

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
  • Tailcap switch: press for momentary-on low beam, press further for high beam, twist for constant-on.

-Taken from surefire

Does this mean the L1 does NOT stay on when you press the tailcap? Do I have to twist the tailcap in order to keep the light on w/o holding it?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly, you have to twist the tailcap for constant on.
I don't have a L1, but I have the same tailcap on my A2.

Dadof6

Enlightened
It seems a little retarded at first especially when pushing a button to see light seems like the most natural thing in the world. However, once you get used to it a bit it really is kind of cool.

cy

Flashaholic
L1's user interface is my favorite and possibly world's first of this type.
at least according to the patent given to Surefire/PK.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I love the two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap. It's so easy and simple to use. Two features I really like are the ability to have the low output constant-on, and still be able to press the button for high output, and the ability to LockOut (disable) the high output so that only the low output can be activated no matter how hard you press the push button.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
I love the two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap. It's so easy and simple to use. Two features I really like are the ability to have the low output constant-on, and still be able to press the button for high output, and the ability to LockOut (disable) the high output so that only the low output can be activated no matter how hard you press the push button.

That's true, you can do alot depending on how far you twist and in what direction. And of course you can lock out both levels completely so the light is absolutely safe to transport.

I also really like the interface, but it took a little practice at first to get it quite right. When I first got my L1, I didn't have the muscle memory to *know* exactly how hard to press it to get (and hold!) low and high, sometimes I would be running the light in low and it would flicker, or turn off.

Of course I had to play... er, *practice* with the light for a while. I joked that I was "training my tactical thumb". :thumbsup: Heh.

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Where's the place to purchase one after that recall scare? I know I read someone was selling the new batch of revised ones, can someone shoot me a link? Thanks!

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice (for me at least) if Surefire can make the L1/L2 tailcap with constant on-off clickies and the twisting of the tailcap would select if the constant on-off clickies are high or low. Maybe one day.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be nice (for me at least) if Surefire can make the L1/L2 tailcap with constant on-off clickies and the twisting of the tailcap would select if the constant on-off clickies are high or low. Maybe one day.

If that's what you want, get a Fenix L1T or L2T. The tailcap on the SF L1 is nearly bulletproof in reliability and makes selecting modes with a "tactical" grip on the light very easy. I doubt they'll ever change it.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if the L1 tailcap fits other E-series lights?

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

+1 The tail cap design is awesome.........I would love to see the design moved over to the E-series LED lights -- L4, EL1, EL2.

Al, any chance ya could talk to Sure Fire or PK?

Bill

Size15's

Flashaholic
+1 The tail cap design is awesome.........I would love to see the design moved over to the E-series LED lights -- L4, EL1, EL2.
Al, any chance ya could talk to Sure Fire or PK?
Bill
Sorry - I'd much rather new products were developed rather than old products were modified.