Recommend some tough sunglasses/eye protection

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must drive on some hazardous freeways because for a number of years I've been wearing sunglasses that double as eye impact protection.

I first learned this lesson while riding in a Honda CRX that lost a hood latch at freeway speed. The hood flung open, smashing the windshield. Both me and the driver were showered in glass, but something hit my $5 sunglasses that caused one of the lenses to pop out.

Ever since then I've been wearing Oakleys and this practice has probably paid off at least once per year.

The last time, it was a foot-long piece of iron pipe that went through my windshield early one morning while driving to a job interview. Over $3500 in damage because the windshield A-pillar was bent too. I think the pipe fell off a truck on the opposite side of the freeway. I saw it bounce off the road in front of me, but this only left me about .0001 second to react, heh.

When the pipe hit my windshield it sent sharp shards of glass into my face (and my Oakleys). After 18 months of faithful service, the lenses are scratched up enough that I want to replace them.

So am I sticking with Oakley or is there another ultra-tough brand of sunglasses out there with excellent optical quality?

BTW, for night driving, I wear Oakley M-Frames with a clear "Strike" lens. They offer most excellent peripheral vision and the lenses are interchangeable.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I use. They look good on me and there's no risk of the lenses falling out. Harbor Freight carries them, I go in every few months and buy out their stock. At ~$4 each I don't mind when they get lost or "borrowed" for an extended period. I keep several pairs around.

:buddies:

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I use. They look good on me and there's no risk of the lenses falling out. Harbor Freight carries them, I go in every few months and buy out their stock. At ~$4 each I don't mind when they get lost or "borrowed' for an extended period. I keep several pairs around.

:buddies:

I was going to recommend these also. I use the non-shaded ones all the time.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Can't go wrong with Oakley. Have a pair of SG-1's, worn them twice. They fog up quickly. Haven't worn them since. Touchwood never had a problem with fogging with any oakleys i've had, and I've had afew.

Oakleys are also by some stroke of luck fashionable. Not why I wear them but certainly not a drawback.

Two initial opinions of the 'fashion' of Wileys: my thoughts were Ray Charles, the other half's were Frog Eyes.

If it were clear safety glasses, i've used a pair of the county comm specs glasses, and they've been great.

One thing to add is that none of my glasses have been hit with anything other than spent shells so can't comment on ballistic strength. In the back of my mind i've always wanted to put a pair of old glasses downrange and have a test :)

My 2 cents.

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
Buy a shatter proof windshield, or bullet proof it. That'll take care of your problem. Like in the horrible movie "twister" when a piece of wood hits the windshield and nothing happens. But if you can't then just get the ones that the military uses that are soon in the 1st link. I personally own oakly but i doubt it could take an extream hit of some sort.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Oakley. I've been wearing them since the first sunglasses they put out...Pilot and Blade. (The Blades are still with me.) The optical qualities are top notch and my only other preference is Maui Jim. I have some Ray Bans though the two previous are my favs.