Help me mod this with an LED... Bosch cordless 18V

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
This is the link to the website of the cordless Bosch tool-light. The specifications show it's an 18V, 2.7Amp light and when I was using it the other day, I noticed that my P2D CE was outshining the Bosch light by a vast margin.

When my dad told me to get the Bosch, I replied with, "I have my light on me dad." He then replied, "I need more flood." Well, to his surprise, the Bosch didn't stand a chance and was miserable at throwing a decent beam.

There has to be a way to mod this light, I'm just curious as to how. Whether it be a three-bulb cluster, or a single Cree, I would like to mod it with a Cree-like LED setup. Also, this light focuses and I wouldn't expect it to with the new mod, but if it could, that would be great.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Ryan

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Dealextreme.com has a 18v drop in Cree module ....sorry you gotta look for it maybe three of those in a cluster would give you a monster mod. Hey you got the space I bet you just need the right idea. Measure the diameter of the internal 18v boschlight without reflector practically gut the head. Then determine how many Crees you need to retrofit it.
If you need help on how to wire this up and heatsink it then continue seeking help here in the forum.

Fred

Found it http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

RoyJ

Enlightened
This is the link to the website of the cordless Bosch tool-light. The specifications show it's an 18V, 2.7Amp light and when I was using it the other day, I noticed that my P2D CE was outshining the Bosch light by a vast margin.

When my dad told me to get the Bosch, I replied with, "I have my light on me dad." He then replied, "I need more flood." Well, to his surprise, the Bosch didn't stand a chance and was miserable at throwing a decent beam.

There has to be a way to mod this light, I'm just curious as to how. Whether it be a three-bulb cluster, or a single Cree, I would like to mod it with a Cree-like LED setup. Also, this light focuses and I wouldn't expect it to with the new mod, but if it could, that would be great.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
Ryan

Have you check with a multi-meter to make sure it's a legitimate 2.7 amps? Because if it's true, then the light's pumping out close to 50 watts! or probably 500 lumens with a xenon bulb.

I highly doubt it, as Dewalt only rate their bulbs at 0.7A I believe (0.55A for the 9.6V version).

I know a crappy Ryobi 18V light is about even with my L2D CE, even though the Fenix appears brighter because of the color temp.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Here is the link to what I have. http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail?H=175970&G=54651&I=54954&T=1
Mine is a couple years old and it came with a drill, saws-all, and circular saw. They are all apart of the 18V kit. It says 2.7Amp on the website, so I guess if it's not I could sue them. lol...

Anyways though, LukeVSDarth. Are you sure that drop in will work with my light? And if so, will it coincide with the existing reflector?

Also, this light I have is in NO WAY brighter or near as bright as my P2D CE. If the batteries were low maybe, but my dad keeps them charged (my kit, at his house).

Thanks for the help guys...
Ryan

P.S. I'm really interested in that drop-in Cree mod. Any one confirm this works?

Last edited:

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure that drop in will work with my light? And if so, will it coincide with the existing reflector?
<snip>
P.S. I'm really interested in that drop-in Cree mod. Any one confirm this works?

He means that you need to remove the reflector and determine how much room you have in the head. That will tell you if you can fit a cluster of 3 DX Cree modules inside. You'll still need to create a mount and wire the + and - together.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I'd really love to do the mod, but I have NO experience with modding at all. Is there a how-to with charts. instructions, diagrams or anything that would apply to this? I would really like to put at least one Cree LED in there. But, I know nothing of voltage, regulation, or anything. Better yet, is there a book I can buy that would explain all the electrical stuff like voltage, current, and all the "no-no's" I would have to be aware of?

Thanks, any advice comes greatly appreciated!
Ryan