Need a LIGHT for book reading

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need a light that will clip to a book or my wife so she can read in a dimmed enviroment. the lights are usually dim enough to watch tv but too dim to read.

i turn a light on for her but she said if i find her something to illuminate the pages she's ok with it. did ya hear that boys!? that's a go to buy another light!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
I recently gave one to my wife. She loves it. It's a CFL from eknifeworks.com here . Go to their site and enter "fluorescent" in the search box. A great deal at US $20.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds like a good diy project for ya tkl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Found this one (looks good) at: www.eknifeworks.com
(couldn't find a link specific to the light, so do a search for item number: <font color="blue">FM00010</font>)

The following is quoted from their site:

Light Voyager™ Book Light (Batteries Not included) $19.99

brand: Fulcurm Marketing Group
The first booklight to incorporate Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp technology used in laptop computers. A single CCFL unit provides up to 10,000 hours of life--enough to read an hour a night for 27 years! The Light Voyager provides an even wash of white light on the page that is cool and energy efficent.

·Sturdy lightweight plastic construction
·Stainless steel clip
·Folds to a compact 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" x 1"
·Can also be used as portable desk lamp
·Uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
·Built-in 5vdc jack (adaptor not included).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys. i was thinking led but that fluorescent book light looks like exactly what i need!

arioch

Enlightened
I bought one of those Light Voyagers a few years back. It is still my primary reading light. Sturdy construction, good light output, relatively good battery use. I highly recommend it as a reading light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shark

Enlightened
If your still interested in a led light I bought my wife one of these and she likes it very much. The ultralife available at www.lumatec.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ab

Enlightened
Hmmm... how about the AB Mapasaurus Phoenix or Veluxiraptor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(you can find these in the CPF link in my signature...)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

A.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Light Voyager

Hello tkl,

I have also used the Light Voyager for years and love it. I have a 120V adapter that I use most of the time, but it gets pretty good service on AA's. $20 is a good price, I think I paid $45 when they first came out, however an AC adapter and batteries were included back then.

You also might want to check out ab's lights.

Tom

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Light Voyager

If you can find one of the 2AA Osram mini-fluorescents that Radio Shack closed out last year at $2.97 @ they're perfect for reading. At a 700 mA draw you'll want to use rechargeables and expect to rotate batteries after 2 hours use.

guncollector

Enlightened

Another vote for the Phorm Light Voyager. I got one for Xmas about 5 years ago, been using it as a night reading light ever since! Doubles as a small-area light for work around the house in a pinch.

I use it with some rechargeable NiCd's, works great. Highly recommended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lefselight

Newly Enlightened
I use my PT Matrix a lot for reading in bed to try to use up my worn down batteries. Problem is that it's so efficient I can't use up the worn down batteries fast enough and they are really starting to accumulate!

Bob Snow

Newly Enlightened
I just got two of these from eBay. I have not checked runtime, but I would expect long runtime from (4) AAA batteries. The fluorescent tube is very small and not that bright. Looks like a backlight lamp for a small LCD screen CCFL type - about 4" long and only about 1/8" in diameter. The cylindrical reflector rotates to direct the light. It also has an LED so that it can be used as a flashlight. Not nearly as bright as a Microlight. I suspect it is a low quality LED that is overdriven. Beam is blue/white in the center with a yellow outer ring. Very compact light and a real keeper if it has a long runtime.

se223.jpg

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info. how much was it, what's it called?

George Orl

Newly Enlightened

Like Tom, I too own 2 Light Voyager lights for a few years now. Searched for many reading lights, but I got to tell you this is by far the best quality light around. Very sturdy, nice strong large metal clip that clips to a hardback book. Think you can also get one at Sharper Image where I bought one of mine. Two thumbs up to this light!
George

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
thanks for the info. how much was it, what's it called?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're referring to Bob Snow's light, it's known as the Hiltra-from Hilton Trading--PRC