How safe is the Cree L1 head with...

munchs

Newly Enlightened
How safe is the Cree L1 head with 3.7v rechargeable batteries?

None of 3.7v batteries I have fit into its original body. So I've tried with L4 body and 17650, and WoW its output was awesome. Beam pattern was not that bad, either. I know I want to use it in that combination sometimes and there follows the question of its long term reliablilty and safty.

So... can anyone here convince me into doing that?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you're running it in direct-drive at that point since the electronics for an L1 are in the body, not the head. Take an amp draw reading with your L4/Cree L1 head configuration. If it's under 1.0amp then you're okay. Keep heat build-up in mind, though.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, its direct driven....so long as the led doesn't go blue then you are ok.....but as it is the L1 cree has long runtime except on high, I would just use SF123As as I did with an L1 previous gen that I used to own.

munchs

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replys. I really appreciate that :)
As for checking the amp reading, I have no device to check it with and even worse, I don't even know how to use that :oops:

So... 3v primaries or 3v rechrgeables gotta be the only options I have for the light's long live. Well... anyways, thanks to the low mode, I don't think I'll worry about battery costs too much like you said. A good light to have.