Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
:wave: Hi everyone

I'm new around here but have been a user/collector for a couple of years
(Sorry if this sounds like an alcoholic's anonymous intro)

At the moment I Live in the UK but will be moving to New York in early 2008, this may not sound relevant but when buying I have to consider chargers voltage etc

At the moment I have a Sure-fire D3 with an incandescent head and a cree drop-in that I use on my hunting rig and for general outdoor tasks, powered with CR123's.
Over the past couple of months I've "upgraded" the two Maglites I has at the back of the garage (collecting dust) with Terralux drop-ins

My Terralux 2AA maglite take care of the usual tasks around the car etc
With my 4D being my thrower.

I love the concept of a new generation LED based flashlight so time has come for a new toy ………..
MRV, TIABLO A8 or A9?????

This is where things get tricky as when I'm in the UK ill be using CR123's but when I'm in the US ill be using the regulated cells.

At the moment the A9 looks like a winner in everyway but its untested so will it be that much better than the A8.

The MRV looks like a great deal with OP reflector included, but are poor with CR123's although I understand the new version is better?

Any help would be fantastic as in the UK we just don't have the information or stores to look at these things and ask the questions we need to make an informed choice.

For the moment I'm leaning towards the A9 as a 3-hour runtime looks just what I need … what would I get using Cr123's?

Sorry for all of the questions but I have done allot or searching on the site with no clear winner

All the best

Steve

Windscale

Enlightened
Welcome to this great institution.
We have gathered that it is difficult to find good shops, or even mail order places, in the UK to buy torches. You would be better off waiting until you have moved to the US and then start buying since what you have already got would be quite sufficient for these few months.
However, you need not worry too much about chargers' voltage as most of them are 110-240v. But you will need a plug adapter as they don't do the 3-pin in the US.
Have a happy migration.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say get the Tiablo A9 or A8 and then buy two 18650 3.7v Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries an a charger, then you'll have no need for the CR123 batteries. But remenber, these lights have a narrow beam and might not be that useful in real life.

Welcome to CPF!

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
As the A9 has an OP reflector surely that wont be such a narrow beam?
I'm new to this so forgive my ignorance to certain aspects of flashlights.

the A9 is of most interest at the moment as the best plots come from Cr123's , i think thats mainly while ill be using for the next while .

they aren't that expensive and if i can get away with over 2 hours runtime on full ill be a very happy chap.

any info on CR's with the A9 would be fantastic.

many thanks for the help so far
Steve

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Titanium CR123 batteries at Amondotec are $1 USD each but I'm not sure what the shipping price to UK is.

Because of it's deep reflector, the Tiablo A8/A9 still has a relative narrow beam. Great for spotlighting but too tight of you are using it close to mid range(Gaging from beam-shots, I don't have either light mentioned). Might be good if your planing to hunt with this light. But a Asperical Maglite mod(example) with a Cree can throw further then the A8/A9 but with virtually no spill beam. Dealextreme also has the Lumapower MRV for $78 USD with shipping. It is similar to the A8 but with a bit less throw. If it had a Cree Q5(it uses a Cree P4, I think), then it should have the same throw or out throw the A8 but installing a Q5 requires opening the light.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Steve. I'm happy with my MRV, but might be interested in modding mine like StefanFS did. Good luck with the move.

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
I'd say get the Tiablo A9 or A8 and then buy two 18650 3.7v Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries an a charger, then you'll have no need for the CR123 batteries. But remenber, these lights have a narrow beam and might not be that useful in real life.

Welcome to CPF!

Why do you say they may not be useful in real life?

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys

At the moment I'm pretty much decided that because the CR123's are quite cheap I'm happy to use them in an A9.
my current SF D3 eats 3 cr123s in an hour so if the A9 eats two in 3 hours ill be saving money :D thats what ill tell the wife ;)

for the moment i don't think id need to pull a new lamp apart to drop in another LED but the way this market is accelerating i don't want to be left with outdated technology within weeks /months .
as with all things in life you pay the money and make the choice

Windscale

Enlightened
Thanks guys

At the moment I'm pretty much decided that because the CR123's are quite cheap I'm happy to use them in an A9.
my current SF D3 eats 3 cr123s in an hour so if the A9 eats two in 3 hours ill be saving money :D thats what ill tell the wife ;)

for the moment i don't think id need to pull a new lamp apart to drop in another LED but the way this market is accelerating i don't want to be left with outdated technology within weeks /months .
as with all things in life you pay the money and make the choice

In a long run, rechargeable 18650s will save you a lot of money. Also they are much more friendly to the environment.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Why do you say they may not be useful in real life?

The A8/A9/MRV have a narrow beam that projects far but also provides a lot of reflected light at close-medium range. This excess of reflected light might ruin your night vision(I find 1-5 lumens of flood great for indoor/darkness navigation, anything over can be a bit painful to look at). They are great lights but IMO the beams are a bit narrow for most everyday tasks. The really hot center might also drown out the dimmer spill and detract form closer range navigation.

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
I also ordered an asperical lens for the 4D terralux maglite :naughty:
oh I'm looking forward to the boxes arriving in the post over the next couple of weeks.

(I may ask to be banned from the forum as its costing me too much money)

As soon as the good come ill write review from a novice perspective