how bright is VB-16 SSC

bullterrier

Enlightened
how bright is the VB-16 SSC 16-Mode Seoul LED from DX.
it seames pretty bright on high and i like the low is very much low.
it would be fun to have som numbers.

sorry fore my english im from sweden:whistle:

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi bullterrier,

I just went out to the shop and took some measurements for you. All measurements are with the VB-16 on its max setting. Values are Lux @ 1 meter. Note that these are just throw numbers (brightest part of the beam), not total output collectively.

3920 ---Battery Station RCR123's, protected
3900----Ultrafire RCR123's 880 mAH, protected
3900----XTAR 18650, protected
3900----Titanium CR123 primaries
3810----LiFePO 3.0V Lithiums "safe chemistry"

1890----For comparison, I measured my Fenix L2D on Turbo mode

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, that's the L2D-CE. The beams on the two lights are nearly identical in terms of hotspot size and spill size, with the VB-16's spill being slightly larger in diameter. With the SSC and the orange peel reflector, the the VB-16 has a flawless beam...no rings, smooth transition from spot to spill, etc. The spill brightness on the two is just about equal. Given that, and the fact that the VB-16's spot is brighter, I'd say it's putting out more light overall. I'll have to do a ceiling bounce test later tonight.

robm

Enlightened
Overall light output using homemade lightbox:

Kaidomain/DX VB-16
level 16 - 1500 (approx 100 lumens)
level 12 - 850 (approx 55 lumens)
level 6 - 450 (approx 30 lumens)
level 1 - 100 (approx 7 lumens)
level 0 - 5 (<1 lumen)

P1D-CE for comparison
High - 1500
Med - 800
Low - 170

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the light box numbers, robm! I haven't made one yet for my meter.

I did happen to do a ceiling bounce test last night, and my VB-16 is noticeably brighter than my L2D-CE....not way brighter, but noticeable. Chevrofreak measured both the P1D-CE and the L2D-CE at 111 lumens, and your figure is right on the mark. My L2D-CE's color temp is quite warm, that may account for it not seeming quite as bright.

Last edited:

bullterrier

Enlightened
runtime tests with Ultrafire 3.7V 2400mAh LC 18650 Protected Battery.
on level 16 its hard to se when it's going down to level 15.
but i belive it went down a level to level15 after 45 min.
and so long it has going on for 6h and its not down to level1 yet.
i will upp date tomorrow.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys definitely have only 16 levels? I figured DX just mistakenly called it a 16 level light, because the one I got from them has 32 levels. Starting from the lowest level, I can only count up to about level 22, and then can't see a difference between later levels. Starting from high, it takes 32 clicks to get to the lowest level. Of course I know I can just hold down the button, but I wanted to count.

bullterrier

Enlightened
from max pover to low i need to press 31 times on the minus button.
but i dont know if this means that it has 32 level for that reason.
ther are no difrence in many of the levels.

now it's to morrow:)

i turnd of the light after 11h then it was going on level1 only.
so from max to low after 11h i gave up i'm going to to sleep now.

sorry fore my english im from sweden:whistle:

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have said 31 clicks...I realized that after I posted. High would be one level, then 31 clicks would add up to 32 levels. Like you said, one can't notice a difference in brightness for many of the high levels, but a multimeter shows a mA difference between them.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Using the most technical of terms and painstaking analysis, it is "OOOOH YEASSSS" bright!!!!

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
It gives more than 700mA to the LED on high, so according to the spec, 170+ lumens at the LED.

Kai

Mash

Enlightened
Question about the UI:
If you are on a lowish or mid mode, is there a quick way to jump to max output?
Does the UI cycle, or can you just click down to min, and then have to click up to max? If so then probably the best way would be to click down, so you get to lowest, and then the next click would be maximum hopefully?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about the UI:
If you are on a lowish or mid mode, is there a quick way to jump to max output?
Does the UI cycle, or can you just click down to min, and then have to click up to max? If so then probably the best way would be to click down, so you get to lowest, and then the next click would be maximum hopefully?

No, it doesn't cycle. If you're on low, you have to scroll back up to high. BUT, you only have to hold down the "up" brightness button, and it'll scroll to max brightness in very quickly... it literally only takes one second.

Zefiryn

Newly Enlightened
It gives more than 700mA to the LED on high, so according to the spec, 170+ lumens at the LED.

Kai

Kai, I've tested quite a fiew, non of them are able to reach 700mA, avarage is 550-650mA :) lux readings -3800-5000/1m on high.

By the way, whats happened to VB16 quality??? new batch has no HAIII coating, shiny paint instead, and all of them are full of dust under the front glass :(

Can You please ask manucaturerer NOT to glue the heads??? Any idea how to remove it??? heating up to 150C degree C doest help, so looks like its not red Loctite.

Last edited: