Had my first flashlight-aided altercation last night!

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little background: I live in a four-unit public urban development ("PUD"), which is basically a four-unit townhouse except the buildings aren't attached. Each unit comes as close as about 12 feet to one another. Our weekly trash collection is by those automated arm picker-upper thingies on the side of the trash truck, so our weekly refuse is limited to whatever will fit in the can.

Of course, we have one scumbaggy neighbor. There are like 15 people living in their unit, which has four bedrooms. I know at least the downstairs bedroom has a family of four living in it (I won't even go into the parking and noise headaches). I usually bring my trash can out the night before the weekly pickup and my disgusting neighbors have gotten into the habit of putting their trash into my can because it all won't fit in theirs alone. At times when they fill all the neighbor's cans they just throw their trash on the street by the curb. It's so freaking disgusting. Anyway, the trash company will not pick up loose trash, so usually I'll make a call and request a special pickup. The trash co. has been good about not hitting me with extra fees, and my scumbaggy neighbors claim to not speak English so "discussing" the situation with them is sort of moot.

Two weeks ago they left a bed headboard at the curb, which of course didn't get picked up. The trash company wanted $15 to pick it up, I said screw that, so on Tuesday night I did my neighbors the favor of bringing the headboard back and tossing it on their front door step. :)

Wednesday morning I open my garage door to go to work and my scumbaggy neighbors felt it was my duty to dispose of the headboard, because they brought it back and leaned it on my garage door. Well guess what, when the door opened, the headboard fell and banged against my car. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT, the way to treat a guy's car when he's really into cars.

Being that my neighbors don't speak English, and me not wanting to be late for work, I tossed the headboard back onto their door step and banged on their front door like 50 times. Special Delivery! Hahaha. It was still o'dark-thirty in the AM.

Last night after getting home from work, I changed out of my slacks into some bum-around shorts with a loose waistband, so I didn't want to carry a heavy flashlight. Surefire U2 went into a cargo pocket.

Went out to eat, washed my car at the coin-op and bought a hammer drill at Home DePot. Drove home, pulled into my garage, and when I was unloading the trunk I see one of my scumbaggy neighbors approaching in an aggressive manner. He's in his natural state consisting of no shirt, no shoes, beer in hand, and judging by the clattering of empty bottles in their recycle bin, the beer-in-hand is a permanent fixture. I stand up and casually wait for him to say what he's going to say. I know it's not going to be any good, but what the hey, I'm game.

So the guy comes into my garage and is obviously very angry, he's yelling in has native tongue and smashes his (now empty) beer bottle on my floor and yells some more. I don't' say a word.

Cue Surefire U2.

Of all the lights I own, the U2 is my lightest lightweight, but when I shot it right in this guy's face, his hands came up to shield his eyes and he started to cower like a dog hahaha. I just pointed the light and gave a stern "Outta my garage! Outta my garage!" He left. Since he doesn't speak English, I can only assume he meant to get physical.

Five minutes later, I'm cleaning up the broken bottle mess and the guy comes back with five of his friends. So it's six of them and I know they're up to no good. I'm at the trash can by my workbench, which is about 25 feet from the garage door opening. They come walking up and I grab my Surefire M6 (with the MN21 bay-beee). As soon as my hand touches flashlight the first guy stops in his tracks like I just brandished a double-barrel Elmer Fudd special. The other five don't seem to care, and as soon as they cross threshold I light 'em up hahaha. Oh, and swear "YA WANT SOME?! YA WANT SOME HAH?! GET THE F OUTTA HERE! GET THE F OUTTA HERE YOU F'ING F'S!!"

HAHAHA. I don't know dude, I was completely incensed by this time. Bright flashlight's a good advantage to have at night… will have to get pants with bigger cargos. M6 is going to be my best friend for the next few weeks.

knot

Banned
So what happened between ""YA WANT SOME?! YA WANT SOME HAH?! GET THE F OUTTA HERE! GET THE F OUTTA HERE YOU F'ING F'S!!" and "will have to get pants with bigger cargos"?

Did they "get some" and tear your small cargo pants to shreds?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend, you may be in for some DEEP trouble if you think that light will keep them away.

It's about time to get law enforcement there, or get something a bit more lethal than a flashlight.

Good luck......

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
My friend, you may be in for some DEEP trouble if you think that light will keep them away.

It's about time to get law enforcement there, or get something a bit more lethal than a flashlight.
Yeh, like the INS.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Good luck......
Yup, what he said.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what happened between ""YA WANT SOME?! YA WANT SOME HAH?! GET THE F OUTTA HERE! GET THE F OUTTA HERE YOU F'ING F'S!!" and "will have to get pants with bigger cargos"?

Did they "get some" and tear your small cargo pants to shreds?

Hah, sorry, I skipped that part. I guess that's what happens when you proofread your own writing. The guys did leave, actually they left quite hastily. I think my borderline frothing at the mouth had something to do with it. I'm not worried that they'll do anything, and if they do, I have something other than flashlights to keep them away. :)

GreySave

Enlightened
Ditto. You need to make law enforcement aware that you were challenged multiple times and by a group. The next time they may not care about the light or may be armed themselves. From what you have stated thus far this has the potential to escalate and get very ugly very quickly.

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Scottcr, I had to laugh out loud at your story.
Well told, me thinks.

And like the other folks have said, also serious business.

Be carefull!
And thanks for sharing.
This is valuable information.

Jeff in Evansville

victory

Enlightened
uh, yeah, i'm going to have to suggest you pick up a light like this:

75-0900.jpg

and attach it to something like this:

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm pretty sure that bright lights are associated with law enforcement and/or weapons, and in the neighbor's less than sober state of mind he probably perceived a larger threat than Scott.cr posed at the time. After all, who the ____ carries a flashlight?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
First off, lets get the obvious out of the way....

notify the police, ASAP as reccomended upthread

on a lighter note, you've exhibited a pattern of escalating your defensive light (U2, M6.....) so logically, the next light they should see would be a Beast (or Hellfire), hopefully they'll stop before you have to move up to the Tank Light.... ;)

WNG

Enlightened
A third party (police, townhall, the owner of that unit, management co.) needs to know what's going on. (Maybe let Homeland Security know you have terrorists living next door, LOL)

It's going to escalate. They will return to retaliate, that is their mentality, don't instill your's on them. Expect to get f@cked up, or have personal property vandalized or a break-in.

knot

Banned
If you get the police involved there may be hostility for the rest of your stay there. No sense making enemies. There is an obvious lack of communication and understanding. I think it would be best to talk to someone that understands their language so they can explain what you did because the trash man does not pick up extras and why you got upset because your car got hit. Do they even know your car was hit?

Banging on their door 50 times in early morning hours did not help them to understand. If you banged on my door and woke my family up, I might have assaulted you right there. Can you see where you were wrong? It's not your job to throw it back onto their doorstep, let management do it.

Last edited:

LG&M

Enlightened
If you get the police involved there may be hostility for the rest of your stay there. No sense making enemies. There is an obvious lack of communication and understanding. I think it would be best to talk to someone that understands their language so they can explain what you did because the trash man does not pick up extras and why you got upset because your car got hit. Do they even know your car was hit?

Banging on their door 50 times in early morning hours did not help them to understand. If you banged on my door and woke my family up, I might have assaulted you right there. Can you see where you were wrong? It's not your job to throw it back onto their doorstep, let management do it.
I believe Knot is right There is a lack of communication & understanding( there's) I can't believe you think the op is in the wrong. I don't care where you come from right is right & wrong is wrong it is sad common Courtesy and common sense is not more common. Maybe he could have gone about it better but why is he in the wrong here?

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Why do WARS get started? Everyone knows the answer: He said she said and no I meant and so on. I agree that you should make an attempt to communicate to the other guy and maybe if you get things resolved you can have a beer together:buddies:.
I would be carefull if 5 or 6 guys come over and maybe next time they will bring more:twak:. I don't mean to sound like a peace lover:kiss: and lets all hold hands because i'm not:devil:. If communication doesn't work and police involvement is poor depending on your area then ya declare WAR and unleash the dogs of WAR:xyxgun:. All defense of course.
As far as your story goes, SWEET.
Its nice to see someone get effected by a "litesaber":clap:. I would like to seen a rapid flashing strobe mode and seen how he would have reacted to that. Good luck with your struggle and I only advise the peaceful route cause nobody would like to see a CPF member get hurt:grouphug:. As far as not being able to speak English and someone mentioning calling the INS, that can be in poor taste and could offend someone on the forum.

Remember Peace through superior firepower :xyxgun:

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
Be very careful, my friend. This sounds like it has the potential to get really ugly. I would involve the police already just as a precaution. Your next encounter might escalate to where a flashlight won't help you. Also, unfortunately these people know where you live--so now you can expect anything ranging from annoying harrassment to menacing threats from them whenever they choose to do so to you, your family, or your property.

When I first got my Elektrolumens K2 Stunner, I handed it to my co-worker and I asked him to try and blind me with it as I stood in the dark parking lot. Yes it was bright, but it didn't knock me over or send me to my knees. But what I did notice was that I could no longer see my co-worker. He disappeared behind all that light. All I could see were his knees to his shoes. His whole torso disappeared. He could have been pointing a gun at me behind all that light, I wouldn't know.
Maybe your neighbors left because they thought they might get shot. When they learn that you really are unarmed, they might get braver in their next incursion. If they've been drinking, that always makes the light harder to look at.

Be safe.

Last edited:

knot

Banned
I believe Knot is right There is a lack of communication & understanding( there's) I can't believe you think the op is in the wrong. I don't care where you come from right is right & wrong is wrong it is sad common Courtesy and common sense is not more common. Maybe he could have gone about it better but why is he in the wrong here?

You call banging on the guys door at four in the morning waking his family up - common courtesy and right? They probably have no clue as to why he was doing that but it pissed them off enough to bring his friends over to confront. That is no way to handle a conflict or misunderstanding. The OP is the one who escalated this buy yelling and banging on the door. He should have left the headboard on the curb and let the manager deal with it. Apparently, i'm the only one with common sense on this thread. All this stupid bravado over a piece of trash.

Last edited:

znode

Newly Enlightened
What the OP did is extremely irrational, dangerous, and downright stupid. His story sounds like a perfect recipe for both legal jeopardy and physical danger.

Well guess what, when the door opened, the headboard fell and banged against my car.

So it banged against your car. Perhaps even dented it. What's the appropriate response? Talk to the damn neighbors. They don't speak English? Knock on their door with the board, gesture angrily at the board. Want to bring it up a notch? Report to the authorities as intentional property damage. But the OP does this instead:

Code:
[FONT=Tahoma]I tossed the headboard back onto their door step and [B]banged on their front door like 50 times[/B].  Special Delivery!  Hahaha.  It was still o'dark-thirty in the AM.[/FONT]

Holy ****! You pound on the door of someone's HOME, his castle, at MIDNIGHT?

In many places this'll get you a lungful of buckshot, and they'll still legally be in the clear. How the hell does he know someone's not trying to break into his home and cause personal injury to him or his family? Property damage is one thing, but it's completely another thing to appear as if you're trying for breaking and entering, no matter what your original intentions are.

"Special Delivery?" :green: No, they're not justified in dumping their trash on your property, or causing potential damage to your car. But you pounding on someone's home at midnight is WAAAY worse than that. (EDIT: No, and this doesn't justify them confronting you as a group, either. That's definitely very threatening behavior.)

But guess who is a jack*** in your neighborhood.

Go report this to the authorities, and watch your back.

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
Don't get yourself deaded.

I suggest striking first with 2 or three frag or WP grenades through their window.