It's good to BE PREPARED with an EDC flashlight

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes it is a very good thing to be a flashaholic.

Don't leave home without it.

About a year ago, the power went out while we were enjoying dinner (served just before the power failed) at a local restaurant. The emergency lighting was horrid. The manager's flashlight was something out of the 1950's (and the batteries weren't much newer). So I take my Arc-AAA out, use the sugar packet holder as a flashlight holder, and continue to enjoy dinner. Had to pay cash for dinner, but that was okay. On the way out, we passed someone eating by the light of his cellphone.

About six months ago, history repeated itself. This time we were enjoying dinner at a BBQ restaurant on the central California coast. Again, just as dinner is served, the power goes out. Again, the emergency lighting is nearly worthless and the waiter's flashlights worse then worthless. They had to open all the windows and close the kitchen (no ventilation for the BBQ). Again we enjoyed a nice dinner, but this time with my EDC Proton, and paid for dinner with cash.

Yesterday, I went to Trader Joe's market for a bit of shopping. Just as I get inside, the lights go off. The emergenty lighting was new, and better than in the restaurants, but parts of the store looked like a deep-dark cave. When I realize the cash registers are still running (UPS) and they are not shoo-ing customers out, I pull out my Proton and use it as a cyclops headlight for my shopping cart. I was able to find things on otherwise dark shelves, and even help other customers. But I didn't have to pay cash this time. My plastic worked. As I was leaving, they finally figured to get the customers out of the dark come before they come to harm.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Lots of times I had to use my EDC to help my friends out playing in the engine of their cars... or walking securely in the woods while others use their cellphones to guide themselves ... thats so funny :)

ugrey

Enlightened
You have ALL the fun. The power NEVER goes out on me in stores or eateries.:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good to hear of someone else EDCing their Proton, and you've been doing it longer than I have. Since getting it about a month ago it's always there. Haven't been lucky enough to get such good opportunities for use.

Geoff

Windscale

Enlightened
I always have at least 4-5 EDCs wherever I go, even shopping in the city, and there is always a Proton or two.

The standard EDC lights are:

Protons clipped to zipper of clothing and shoulder bag.

UF 602D
UF 602D Cree
(both fitted in a small pouch clipped to my belt and running on RCR 123 3.7v Protected)

UF R1 Rebel (RCR123 3.7v Protected) and/or
Fenix P3d CE (17670 Protected)
(in pouches on the other side of my belt)

In the shoulder bag (which is used almost everyday):
Gentos 0.5W Nichia headlamp (1 AA eneloop)
Inova 24/7 (RCR123 3.0v Protected)

tomL, I wish I can hang out with you more because the lights never went out when I have all the gear!

Of course I carry more lights whengoin going out walking in the wilderness and I do get to use them.

Many friends have asked me why I carried so many lights and I would tell them that we were very poor when we were little and could not afford electricity. So, now we don't want to have to face darkness anymore!

Last edited:

tritan

Newly Enlightened
I always have at least 4-5 EDCs wherever I go, even shopping in the city, and there is always a Proton or two.

The standard EDC lights are:

Protons clipped to zipper of clothing and shoulder bag.

UF 602D
UF 602D Cree
(both fitted in a small pouch clipped to my belt and running on RCR 123 3.7v Protected)

UF R1 Rebel (RCR123 3.7v Protected) and/or
Fenix P3d CE (17670 Protected)
(in pouches on the other side of my belt)

In the shoulder bag (which is used almost everyday):
Gentos 0.5W Nichia headlamp (1 AA eneloop)
Inova 24/7 (RCR123 3.0v Protected)

tomL, I wish I can hang out with you more because the lights never went out when I have all the gear!

Of course I carry more lights whengoin going out walking in the wilderness and I do get to use them.

Many friends have asked me why I carried so many lights and I would tell them that we were very poor when we were little and could not afford electricity. So, now we don't want to have to face darkness anymore!

Ok, I am new to all the terms. What is a EDC? UF? Fenix P3d CE?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I had your luck, I'd get a Mag85, a Maglite D-sized ring to attach to a belt, and EDC that!:D

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ok, I am new to all the terms. What is a EDC? UF? Fenix P3d CE?
EDC= Every Day Carry; there are forums devoted to such nonsense (edcforums.com)
UF= Ultra Fire, a flashlight brand
Fenix... = a specific model of LED flashlight

tomL

Newly Enlightened
Another curiosity to my original post is that I was without an EDC light for about a week. Thought that was not good, so put the Proton back in my pocket. The very next day the lights went out in Trader Joes.

Now, it this had been an umbrella, it definitly would NOT have rained. Power outage gods apparently follow different rules than rain gods.

Flashaholics are blessed.

tomL

Newly Enlightened
NEWS FLASH.

Cats are in on it!

Today, the mailman brought my new LumaPower MRV. I had the RCR123a's charged and waiting.

The spot projected on the wall was impressive. I could hardly wait for darkness to fall.

Darkness fell, and the spot on the wall was even more impressive.

Then, as luck would have it, our two "indoor" cats staged a daring break. Frodo (the Maine Coon) knocked the screen out of the window while Bander (the Ragdoll) ran as fast as he could, away from the window to the other end of the house, then back and out the window.

With a catless house, an open window (which I closed after the cats left) and my new MRV, I ventured into the darkness and rounded up the two escapees.

I wonder what adventure is in store when my Tiablo A9 arrives next week?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
back in may I was in roseville when the new Fry's Electronics opened, first day opening.

I was passing by and it was unusual since it was quite a ways away from where I usually live and I was only there for a few hours

Anyhow as my GF and I was walking down trying to locate the lighting section the power goes out. the store was huge with its own restaraunt inside the Fry's.

The store was pitch black and the skylight windows were useless. My HDs with a Seoul seemed like a bloody HID in there. the clerks were all running around like headless chickens.

Ah the irony...

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, they usually have photons sitting right there on the racks at the registers, not to mention the thousands of batteries and lights for sale throughout the store. I suppose they could be given some slack seeing as it was the first day and most of the staff were probably trainees.

KuoH

Ah the irony...

cqbdude

Enlightened
Sometimes it is a very good thing to be a flashaholic.

Don't leave home without it.

About a year ago, the power went out while we were enjoying dinner (served just before the power failed) at a local restaurant. The emergency lighting was horrid. The manager's flashlight was something out of the 1950's (and the batteries weren't much newer). So I take my Arc-AAA out, use the sugar packet holder as a flashlight holder, and continue to enjoy dinner. Had to pay cash for dinner, but that was okay. On the way out, we passed someone eating by the light of his cellphone.

About six months ago, history repeated itself. This time we were enjoying dinner at a BBQ restaurant on the central California coast. Again, just as dinner is served, the power goes out. Again, the emergency lighting is nearly worthless and the waiter's flashlights worse then worthless. They had to open all the windows and close the kitchen (no ventilation for the BBQ). Again we enjoyed a nice dinner, but this time with my EDC Proton, and paid for dinner with cash.

Yesterday, I went to Trader Joe's market for a bit of shopping. Just as I get inside, the lights go off. The emergenty lighting was new, and better than in the restaurants, but parts of the store looked like a deep-dark cave. When I realize the cash registers are still running (UPS) and they are not shoo-ing customers out, I pull out my Proton and use it as a cyclops headlight for my shopping cart. I was able to find things on otherwise dark shelves, and even help other customers. But I didn't have to pay cash this time. My plastic worked. As I was leaving, they finally figured to get the customers out of the dark come before they come to harm.

Remind me not to be around the same restaurant as you....

And you're in California?

Just think if your are into knives...LOL..

Great stories....

My place usually has no electricity because I forget to pay the PG&E bill..