Any CREE or SSC weaponlights available/in development?

victory

Enlightened
I've been in the market to replace my M3X for a while with something of the LED variety, but i really don't want to spend the money on old technology. It just seems like surefire, streamlight and insight are a generation behind. Everything is still LuxIII or LuxV.

Has anyone heard about anything new coming out?

tussery

Enlightened
Surefire X300 is most likely still in development and will implement a Cree LED. Along with the laser version X400 (previously X300L according to Size15s info)

victory

Enlightened
alright, and if surefire does it competition should follow withing a few months with something just as good for 1/3 the price. Thanks.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Wait for the SF X300L to come out, it will be worth the money, considering it is going to be a total remake of the X200A/B.

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
Wait for the SF X300L to come out, it will be worth the money, considering it is going to be a total remake of the X200A/B.

Food for thought: Wait for the SF X300L to come out and be shocked by the price... or get a Streamlight TLR-2 now and upgrade the Luxeon with a Seoul for a whole lot less than what most predict the SF will cost.

Just my thoughts folks. Take it as you may. I will say this: If you want to use a weapon laser/light for protecting your home or room clearing you do not want too much light. I have the parts and ability to upgrade my TLR-2, but I have concluded that the output on my stock model is plenty enough to blind any intruder, and I won't be totally NV blind if the light should go out on me or be taken from me. Brighter is not always better. Further, the TLR-2 s one tough light. I love SF products, but concluded that the Streamlight was just right for my intended use.

Good luck in your search for the perfect weaponlight.:thumbsup: -Shawn

victory

Enlightened
Aside from the sticker price on the surefire, i simple prefer the streamlight/insight switch activation since i've been using their M-series forever.

As for light output, I find that the threshold for "too much light" isn't reached by the current batch of LED weaponlights available or any of my Cree/SSC handhelds, though it's getting close. back in the good old days of incan's, the general consensus was that the P91 (225 lumens) was as bright as you wanted to go and most of the guys i knew were running 9v surefires on their rifles with a p91 bulb. That level of output is about where we're at with the top LED's now, with much better runtimes and reliability. The only reason people were satisfied with 100 lumens out of their pistol lights was because that was about as bright as you can get for the size.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

We are launching soon our T-15 and T-04, they are using a Cree EZ1000 chip based LED (Edixeon). They can be used on guns with the adittion of our Trigger Tailcap

T-15 is a 3x CR123 light, 4 LED engineered to being used on submachine guns or assault rifles. T-04 is a 1x CR123 single LED light, designed for pistols.

Our Trigger-Tailcap (patent pending) was designed to turn easily a flashlight into a weaponlight in less than five seconds, while keeping all the useability as flashlight. Also, when used on long arms, avoids the use of wires (weakest point).

t04xe2.jpg

As you can see on this picture of a very early prototype, being mounted on a T-04, the rail mount "Picatinny" is on the tailcap, this allows the user to turn the head of the light for constant ON, or SAFE-LOCK. While the "Trigger" is for momentary. The activation is more instinctive than with "toggle " type switches, and more confortable.

Here is an early drawing showing a Glock and a simulation of our U-04 (longer than T-04) fitted with that Trigger-Tailcap. The angle of the trigger is variable by user with no tools, and even removed. On a pistol it should be more or less perpendicular to the barrel axis, while on a long arm (if not equipped with pistol grip on the forearm) it should be parallel to it)

tmglock17lbuena1vk2.jpg

This design has been already tested by professionals and they find it really good. First commercial units wil be available by october.

Regards,

Javier

victory

Enlightened
fobus isn't a holster, it's a toy masquerading as a holster. Regardless, looking for something in more of an M3 pattern. Also, i'm not sure if people are going to like putting their hand infront of the muzzle for constant on, or the need to use 2 hands.

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
fobus isn't a holster, it's a toy masquerading as a holster. Regardless, looking for something in more of an M3 pattern. Also, i'm not sure if people are going to like putting their hand infront of the muzzle for constant on, or the need to use 2 hands.

You don't need to put your hand in front of the barrel to go for constant on.
We have designed a new kind of weaponlight, and for sure it is not perfect. It has pros and cons, as all the existing designs: The toggle switch option is not perfect either, or even the remote wire switches have a lot of disadvantages.
According to our testers they do like the fact that it is a normal flashlight that can be used perfectly out of the weapon (some people believe that a weaponlight is not a good idea at all), and the whole operation just take seconds. It is versatile too as it can be used perfectly on long arms. Well, as I said, not perfect, but we think that a very good option.

Regards,

Javier

so241

Newly Enlightened
It would seem the toggle switch would allow for more "accidental turn ons" even while in the holster. I do not mean to run anybody down, just my opinion. Also, the application, being a weapon light, you must keep in mind where the flashlight is in relation to the barrel, under it! This adds weight and therefore has the ability to change your "sight picture" henceforth your target aquistion, when every millisecond counts in that situation. I personally use the M3 and have used it in the night firing drills while in the academy, even the M3, as small as it is makes a difference and I would not want any more weight added as necessary to carry out whatever task is at hand.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem the toggle switch would allow for more "accidental turn ons" even while in the holster. I do not mean to run anybody down, just my opinion. Also, the application, being a weapon light, you must keep in mind where the flashlight is in relation to the barrel, under it! This adds weight and therefore has the ability to change your "sight picture" henceforth your target aquistion, when every millisecond counts in that situation. I personally use the M3 and have used it in the night firing drills while in the academy, even the M3, as small as it is makes a difference and I would not want any more weight added as necessary to carry out whatever task is at hand.

The idea is that you can turn your regular tactical flashlight into a weapon light in less than five seconds, so you don't need to buy or carry two lights. In other words, it allows some people to have a weapon light in situations in which they usually don't carry it, but they do have a tactical light. Regarding its weight is not heavy when compared to a X-200, and it has some features that some may find interesting.

As I said previously is another option, some find it better, some find it worse. It is innovative, easy to use, but again, not perfect.

The accidental activation is very difficult if you hands are in position. It has been tested and adjusted by people by a lot of experience on special ops.

Thanks a lot you for your post!!!

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
Barbarin,

Looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing your final production unit. Thanks for sharing this unique concept with us.

-SMC

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much.

We are going to introduce them by October. You will be able to see reviews on a couple of sites, and they will be posted here.

Javier