malkoff vs stock M@G LED beamshot request

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have some beamshots of the stock 2 c m@g LEd Vs malkoff LEd

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can you get a Mag 2C LED? Does Walmart carry them?

Mag uses the same LED module for 2C and 2D flashlights. In other words, a Mag 2C with the proper MagLED module will have the same output as a 2D with the same MagLED module...it's just the runtime will be better with the 2D.

BTW...the Malkoff is about 10 times brighter than the MagLED...I should know, I have a couple of each drop-in. I don't have my camera right now, or I'd take some comparison beam shots for you.

Last edited:

robm

Enlightened
BTW...the Malkoff is about 10 times brighter than the MagLED...I should know, I have a couple of each drop-in. I don't have my camera right now, or I'd take some comparison beam shots for you.

Are you sure about the 10x bit? :thinking:
The 2D/C MagLED is about 50 lumens output and 5000-7000 lux at 1m (with stock reflector).
10x would put the Malkoff at either 500 lumens, or 50000 lux at 1m (or both)!

3x brighter maybe - emitter lumens rated at 240, so approx 150 torch lumens (x0.65)?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
malkoff are much brighter then the stock mag led. But the run time is way shorter. i think the stock led is perfect for emergency situations that you would need a light with altot of run time. in a situation like that i would take run time over extreme output anyday.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
sorry gene i stand corrected. about how many lm is your drop in getting after say 24hrs?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think Gene's unit would be more efficient as far as the circuitry and the SSC LED compared to whatever Mag is using. Does anyone know how long a Mag 3D LED runs?

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure about the 10x bit? :thinking:
The 2D/C MagLED is about 50 lumens output and 5000-7000 lux at 1m (with stock reflector).
10x would put the Malkoff at either 500 lumens, or 50000 lux at 1m (or both)!

3x brighter maybe - emitter lumens rated at 240, so approx 150 torch lumens (x0.65)?

OK, OK, you caught me...that was a total guess and soon after I posted it, I knew it was a pretty big exaggeration. :ohgeez:I originally guessed (on another thread, without doing the math) that it was about 4 times as bright as a comparable MagLED module...I'm sure that's much closer to the truth. I guess I got carried away and I should have put more thought into the accuracy of my post. My apologies to all that read that post.

I suppose I should have said that the Malkoff outclasses the MagLED by so much, that it seems like it's 10 times brighter. Or, that the Malkoff is 10 times the drop-in the MagLED is...which may be true considering the huge heatsink and the fact that the MagLED's level of brightness drops off after a few short minutes due to heat issues, and the Malkoff will run at full brightness for hours before it drops out of regulation.

Geez, a guy can't get away with anything around here! :nana:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I should have said that the Malkoff outclasses the MagLED by so much, that it seems like it's 10 times brighter. Or, that the Malkoff is 10 times the drop-in the MagLED is...which may be true considering the huge heatsink and the fact that the MagLED's level of brightness drops off after a few short minutes due to heat issues, and the Malkoff will run at full brightness for hours before it drops out of regulation.

Here is the variable that makes comparing brightness and runtimes with the MagLED so difficult -- the dimming is actually the module itself reducing the current to the LED to prevent from burning itself up. That means if you turn a magLED on and run it, it will run for a very long time, as on average the current draw (once "hot") will be quite low. And comparing a completely "hot" MagLED at its dimmest point might only be 10% of the lumens of the Malkoff.

However, if you were to compare runtimes between a Malkoff and MagLED by running them for one minute bursts, before the MagLED has a chacne to heat up, the total runtime would be much closer as the MagLED would be on average at a high current, similar to the Malkoff, the whole time.

IMO what Mag should have done is replaced the plastic bulb holder piece with an aluminum or copper piece, simialr to Download's MagCTower, whcih still preserves cam focusability. Simply installing that piece makes a huge difference in the heat buildup -- it takes a LOT longer for the MagLED to dim, because of that newly introduced thermal pathway to wick away the heat. Something like that, with an explicit way to switch between a "high" level, and a "low" level, while still preserving cam focusability would be a nearly ideal flashlight IMO.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Another point would be that most of the reviews were done with three cells and not two.

Testing my self theTL led dropin for the 2C The tle-6 is worthless on a 2 cell mag-lite.

So 2.4 (nimh) to 3.0(alkaline) vDC i'd be interested in seeing a runtime of malkoff's new 2c mod on 2 (actual) c cells.

I'm not certain if malkoff's new c-cell led mod is any differnet than the mag-led. If it's a similar model to his old c-cell led mod Then it will have problems with only a couple volts to run it for any more than a few minutes.

Best bet would be to mod the power supply to li-ion 18650X1 or X2 depending on the emiter circuit as well.

Granted the copper sleve trick to cool the mag-led (tm) is a good idea.

The TLE-1F is a good 2 cell led replacement but the Diamond is better.

Enjoy.

Last edited: