need advice on purchase of 1.5v AAA LED

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
For some time I have carried an ARC-AAA, and have liked it. However, in light of the advancements in LED technology, I think its time to upgrade my carry AAA flashlight to possibly a AAA flashlight with (hopefully) a significantly brighter beam and better run time. I am considering placing a pre-order for a Fenix L0D (that has the new Luxeon Rebel 80 LED). My main consideration is size (it must be in the ARC-AAA size category and be extremely well made/durable. I would be willing to pay anywhere in the $50 to $200 range, as long as I can get somewhere near to the state of the art in the brightness, run-time, quality of beam, durability (especially durability) and ARC-AAA size categories. My question: Is the Fenix L0D Rebel (80), which is priced near the low end of my budget, the state of the art in the AAA category in the areas I am concerned about, or should I consider any other AAA flashlights at this time. Any suggestions or guidance in this regard will be appreciated.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
In my opinion you've made the right choice. I've been trying to decide myself on such a purchase and at this time the L0Dce seems to be the best. There really aren't too many other options. The LiteFlux LF2 seems to be the best alternative, but I think the Fenix will be more reliable. My experience with other Fenix lights has been good.

Geoff

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Other then custom lights, I'd say the Fenix L0D-CE, Jetbeam-u and the Liteflux LF2 are two two of the best lights when everything is considered(price, brightness etc.).

Last edited:

h2xblive

Enlightened
Does anything really beat the Arc-P AAA in regards to durability and reliability?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Jet-u and a Fenix E1 (soul mod). I think your choice of the Fenix LOP-CE is hard to beat. The Jetbeam in nicely built but lacks efficiency. The Fenix E1 with Soul mod is a great light for about 5 hours of constant regulation with a nice amount of output. However, the E1-Soul is a custom mod. Whats makes the E1 efficient is the single mode constant current regulator.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD-CE is the way to go.I have a CREE LOD-CE that I purchased as a secondary EDC light for when I needed something discreet.Instead of being secondary I usually end up EDCing this light most of the time.My P2D is significantly brighter but is not as convenient to carry.Battery life is not supposed to be very good when used on turbo but an extra AAA is not a big deal to carry.There is also the lower output modes to conserve the battery.I use lithium AAA's as they offer better performance in this type of light and there is less chance of leaking than alkalines.

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
I was in the same position, and after surveying what's out there now finally decided on the Liteflux lf2. Of course, your budget seems a little higher--why don't you consider the milkymod of the arc-AAA with multiple levels and a cree LED. Seems like everything that you want: the latest tech in an arcAAA form factor.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lincoln, got your PM and just replied, but I've also got an interesting Frankenstein-ish combination in mind that might just turn out nicely. Will give it some thought, please give me a gentle prod if I don't get back to you in the next couple days. :naughty:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt - just finished reading (devourering) your comparison/review. In my view, its primary research & analysis at its best. Thank you. Lincoln
Very kind - glad you enjoyed it. The upshot is that the L0D-CE is probably a better design and better choice for most, but I've decided to stick with the Jet-u for the time being, mainly for the floodier beam and memory feature (i.e. set to come on low). Plus I found the 100 Hz PWM too noticeable on the Fenix, but am not bothered by the 317 Hz of the Jet-u.