The Insanity of the State

Anarchocap

Enlightened
Butler was in Arizona this weekend for various functions, including an Institute for Justice luncheon with John Stossel (Give Me a Break). He is a man after my own heart, and the more time I spend with him, the more I learn.

[ QUOTE ]

The Insanity of the State
by Butler Shaffer

In my lifetime, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Pol Pot, Mao, and Castro, have each been labeled a "madman" by one critic or another. More recently, Miloslovic, Qaddafi, Khomeini, and Mugabe have had this diagnosis thrust upon them. And now we find Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and George Bush being referred to as "madmen" by one faction or another, depending upon which side of the battlefield you are on.

Because such depictions are usually reserved for those responsible for the deaths, torture, or other maltreatment of tens of thousands of individuals, the label is not wholly unwarranted. Those who preside over governments during relatively peaceful times are almost never regarded as insane, however delusional they might otherwise be. But when men such as George Bush embark upon a course of action whose principal purpose is to foment war, there is good reason to question the sanity of the proponents of such actions.

On the other hand, confining our focus on the demented state of mind of tyrants and war-lovers is to overlook the more important consideration: the insanity of the state itself. Most of us have so merged our personal identity with the nation-state that we see any major imperfection in the state as a flaw in our own character. This is why it is so distressing to most people to be told that their political system can be just as vicious and butcherous as others. After pointing out to my students how FDR manipulated the Japanese into an attack on Pearl Harbor in order to get America into World War II, I often hear the response "our government wouldn't do that!" The implication is clear: other governments do all kinds of wicked things, but not ours.

We have been conditioned to believe in the desirability as well as the necessity of political systems. Most of us utter the mindless mantra that government is a "necessary evil," then take comfort in believing that the system established in our country has effectively foreclosed the possibilities of tyranny arising in our land. Americans continue to exalt the Constitution as one of the "wonders" of civilized society, deluding themselves that dividing government into three "branches" has, through some unexplained alchemy, transmuted inherently dangerous and volatile state power into more benign, inert processes.

The reality is that all political systems are, by definition, grounded in a monopoly on the exercise of lawful force, and there is no document, no magical incantation, no external authority to prevent any state system from expanding upon the scope of its power should it, and its supporters, choose to do so. Constitutions may yet abound, out of ritualistic habit, but constitutionalism, as a formal system of limiting state power, has no credibility. The 20th century's record of constitutionally directed state butcheries and tyrannies has given the lie to this presumed method of restraining the exercise of coercive power. Most people are disinclined to give up their illusions, even though this doctrine – and the belief in a "social contract" from which it derives – has about as much plausibility as the "divine right of kings."

Faith in constitutionalism derives from a failure to understand the basic nature of words: they are subject to interpretation. Words are abstractions and, as such, can never be what they purport to represent. Because most of us equate the word with the thing itself, we are content to believe that writing words on paper – or parchment, to give it added significance – can somehow assure a continued respect for the meaning we attached to such words when we wrote them. But whether we are construing the provisions of a constitution, or seeking the explanation for a line of poetry, words must always be interpreted in order to be understood. The problem we experience with political systems arises from the fact that the effective "meaning" of the words in a constitution is determined by the state itself!

The courts, a branch of the state, have provided a fairly consistent expansion of the allegedly "limited" powers granted to the state, and a restrictive definition of the "rights" it was the announced purpose of this scheme to "protect." Nor does the state feel obliged to exercise its established powers as they have been spelled out. Article I, Section 8 grants to Congress the "power to declare war," but not since December 8, 1941, has the government insisted upon this formality in the conduct of the numerous wars and other military actions it has undertaken.

If the state enjoys a monopoly on the use of force, and there is no device or principle that can restrain the scope of such authority, what would we expect government officials to do with such power? Much what we would expect a group of children to do if a bowl of candy was placed before them: grab as much of it as they can! Their appetites are further nourished by those who would like to have such coercive power employed on behalf of their interests. A feeding frenzy quickly occurs, with various groups crowding and shoving one another for a more favorable position at the government trough.

It should be evident to any thoughtful person that politics mobilizes the most vicious, socially destructive attitudes and practices known to mankind. Lies and deceit, coercion, intimidation, the forcible taking of property, killing, the setting of people and groups against one another, the imprisonment and punishment of individuals, the manipulation and control of the behavior of people and, above all else, the arrogant assumption that such power is "rightfully" exercised by those who possess it and the moral condemnation of those who resist.

The most savage and inhumane of all statist practices is, of course, the conduct of war. But most of us have become so enamored of state power that, ironically, it is this most destructive expression of its nature that is most revered. Conservatives who, a scant two years ago, could have been counted upon to rage against a tax increase, affirmative action, or the enforcement of some code of political correctness, have suddenly become frenzied drum-beaters for war, any war, against whomever their current rulers identify as their enemy! Out comes that most jingoistic expression of state belligerence: the flag, and any who refuse to shout "hurrah!" have been labeled as traitors, appeasers, terrorist-supporters, and even communists!

Recently, an estimated thirty million men and women marched throughout the world in opposition to the Bush administration's planned war against Iraq. Many of these protestors were Europeans, deriving from a culture that was the cradle of Western civilization. In the eyes of the war-lovers, however, such opposition is unforgivable. While the English poodle, Tony Blair, is unwavering in his bootlicking habits, many – perhaps most – of his countrymen favor peace. So, apparently, do most Scandinavian, French, and German people. The vitriol heaped upon the French and Germans by members of the War Party is, perhaps, the clearest evidence of the obscene character of this administration. Perhaps it is because these nations provided the battleground for two bloody world wars in the 20th century that makes their anti-war sentiments more credible than the caterwauling call to arms coming out of the mouths of those, in Washington, who have never heard a shot fired in anger. Nor have I yet reconciled myself to the spectacle of Jews berating the current German government for not being sufficiently warlike!

To the extent we identify ourselves with the state, we are distressed confronting the destructive and vicious nature of how all governments – including the one under which we live – behave. The state represents the "dark side" of the human character, and so we are disinclined to stare it in the face, out of a fear that we might see something of ourselves reflected back. In an effort to exorcise such attributes from our political system, we project any negative qualities onto others, against whom we then take a morally righteous stance and insist upon punishing them for our inadequacies of character. If the United States has created chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons, we will go to war with Iraq for allegedly trying to acquire such weapons for themselves. America will condemn North Korea for having nuclear missiles, even though the United States is the only country in history that has actually used such weapons against civilian populations!

No matter how strong or deserving the criticism of any foreign regime, statists can never allow the censure to rise to the level of an attack upon the idea of the state itself. If the state is to be regarded as an imperative, then the warfare, genocides, torture, and other tyrannical practices can never be allowed to be seen as intrinsic to statism. To allow such a thought to even cross a synapse in the brain is to call all of politics into question. If we venerate the idea of the state, the wholesale slaughter and brutalities practiced even by foreign despots must be explained in terms that do not infect the mindset upon which domestic rule depends. To accomplish such ends, statists resort to the psychological device of "displacement," which involves the transfer of an emotion, such as anger, from the original cause to a substitute one. Displacement is ordinarily resorted to when the source of the anger is considered too dangerous to criticize directly. To condemn politics, systemically, for the horrors perpetrated by various nation-states, might endanger the popular sanction upon which all governments ultimately depend. And so it is that the Hitlers, Stalins, Maos, Pol Pots, and other tyrants, must be marginalized and isolated as aberrations of an otherwise wondrous system. What better way of accomplishing such state-saving ends than to declare them to be "madmen," "crazed lunatics" who managed to get into power by some untoward means?

But it is not madmen who turn states into the brutal systems they are: it is the state itself that mobilizes our "dark side" energies into destructive practices, an end brought about only through our willingness to lose our individuality in the mass-mindedness that is essential to all political systems. In the language of "chaos" theory, the state becomes an "attractor" for the kinds of people who are disposed to use violence and intimidation against others; people who are willing to exploit the sociopathic nature of all political systems. It is not madmen to whom we must look for explanations of the genocides, wars, "terrorist" attacks, and other collective atrocities, but to our perpetuation of insane systems that amass those dark forces that we deny or repress at our peril.

February 26, 2003

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insanity is only a word and often used to excuse Evil as something else.

You realize, of course, that posting that is an act of Sedition at the very least, don't you??? (Sedition against King Georgey Porgy Bushy Wushy the First)

Constitution?? What Constitution??? We got rid of that years ago and only give lip service to it, for political purposes.

Thanks to my getting Mandrake Linux 9.0 Powerpack Edition subscription CD ROM set directly from France, I am now considered to be a terrorist/traitor/subversive.

Then again, I happen to be gay. That alone makes me all things evil, all things unnatural, and automatically guilty of ALL crimes, by merely existing (in the USA).

Why the heck should I feel any loyalty to a State that Vilifies me for either Choice of Operating System or my sexuality???

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Gun Nut
Expect a friendly visitor from the Department of Fatherland Security soon. Please do not shoot him.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
It's only sedition if we're at war, which we're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can we tell?

Anarchocap

Enlightened
If I had any fear of the State from posting the truth about it, I wouldn't have posted it.

Believe me, considering my circle of friends, I am probably already being watched. And quite frankly, Reichland Security can peep all they wish. I certainly have nothing to hide. I work, pay my taxes, follow the law, and am an upstanding citizen. But if the Gestapo wants to ask questions, they'll have to talk to my lawyer first.

There is nothing to worry about from me, I am out in the open for everyone to see. If I have to live in fear of my government, then it just makes everything I believe all the more true!

Charles, in what this country should be, and once was (for maybe about 70 years), personal choice is what its all about. As long as you don't commit force on anyone else, my personal feelings aside, your body, property, and your life is nobody's business.

Your feelings on the Constitution are correct. If you have an interest, "The Constitution of No Authority" by Lysander Spooner is a great read.

My interest is in Liberty above all else. I am a very principled and moral man, and I believe only true Liberty can bring about the best qualities of the human condition. Everything else is just an inefficient waste of precious life.

If I could give you any advice about your perceptions on what the government may or may not be doing to you, it would be to just ignore it. Live your life. Enjoy it to the best of your abilities. 99.9% of our lives has nothing to do with the government, don't give it any more legitimacy by making it a larger part. I guarantee you if we all ignore it, it will eventually just shrivel up and blow away. The US government is doing a great job of self destructing on its own.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gun Nut said:
...If I have to live in fear of my government, then it just makes everything I believe all the more true!....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gun Nut; Is it just me, or does that statement scare you too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Man, you people are such losers! You live with the most freedom in the world, in the richest country in the world and it is still not enough!!! You have to complain about our president thinking about going to war, and your "lack of freedom of choice" that you have. This is getting ridiculous! First this started as a friendly discussion in another thread about what we should do with Iraq, then it turned to name calling and arguments over politcal issues and even to the issue of legalising drugs in this country so we can have freedom to do what we want. Now we are complaining about our rights to whatever sexual orientation that we may choose! Wow, looks like we don't need to go to war after all, we will just rip each others throats out instead.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
im with ya, bwcaw.

i have no idea who authored that article, but to even insinuate that Bush is in the same league with Pot and Hitler is silly.

Bush has not murdered millions of unarmed people.

ooooohhh....the big evil "state" is coming to get you!!!
"theyre coming to get you, Barbara!"

yes, i too, in my paranoid state see black helicopters and hear strange clicks on my phone line. whatwasthat?

come to think about it...my mail has been pretty slow lately!

ohmygod! whatamigonnado?

LOL!!!!

Bob<---love to laugh this time of the morning...

papasan

Enlightened
so people are only allowed an opinion if it agrees with the moral majority, bwcaw? we do, in fact, live in the richest country in the world and even one of the most free if not the most free, so we should sit idly by and let whatever happens happen?

the founding premise to this country is that it's 'for the people by the people', aren't we the people? have we no say in the direction of our country simply because we have money and freedom to say things we wish to say? if we don't keep our heads up and our eyes open then those freedoms we all hold so deer may one day be just an illusion.

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
papasan said:
if we don't keep our heads up and our eyes open then those freedoms we all hold so deer may one day be just an illusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of us don't seem to hold them at all, Much less "dearly".
but The freedom we love can NEVER be an illusion.
The illusion is that we can lose freedom, Freedom can
only be given up, Never taken. Law changes, Places change,
MY freedom I will keep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

No one was any power over another except the power to kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
I never mentioned the "moral majority" I have no idea how you got that out of my post. I mean to say that you have no damn rights except the ones that people bled and died to give you, and you seem to think that it is not enough!! You want everything to be free, well it is not. You have to work to get more freedom if you want it. Instead of marching in your stupid rallys why don't you talk to your senator? We live in a republic, and that is how we do things. I personally lean neither to the right or the left on the "war issue", but this complaining about rights that you percieve to not have is rediculous! Come one now, we are not living in communist russia, you don't have to fear for your life every time you post some stupid anti-American remark on here. Yet you claim that the government is out to get you! I don't see how you can compare the US a communist state.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
Man, you people are such losers! ....... then it turned to name calling....

[/ QUOTE ]
I am compelled to point out that the only CPF member that I see calling any other members names in this thread is you. Feel free to attack the post, and refrain from attacking the poster. I consider it poor form to call names, and then accuse others of doing the same.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Anarchocap

Enlightened
bwcaw,

I am glad you feel so strongly about your views. I, however, don't agree with your feelings.

If you think the US is the best country in the world, and that everything it does is right, a la perfection, then there is no point in me trying to address your concerns.

I, however, see a lot of room for improvement. My #1 objective is Liberty and Self Government. The simple fact that for the first 150 years of this country, the government was never more than 5% of GNP. Now it is over 40%.

With that growth of government, I have seen it stick its nose in issues that I personally don't want it in. I have to pay, by what amounts to gun-point, around 50% of my hard earned labor on various taxes.

If someone came up to you and put a gun to your head and said, "Give me your wallet, I am taking half your money. If you don't like it, I'll destroy your life so you can't make any money." Most of us would call that extortion and theft. Most assuredly, if that was you or me personally doing that to people, we'd be in jail right now. I can't see why its any different because the government is doing it.

That is just the beginning of the nanny-state issues that come to mind. But its pointless for me post anything further than what has already been posted.

The people that have open minds, that don't think the US is perfect, and would generally like to improve the human condition towards liberty will read my stuff and possibly wish to learn more.

The people like you that feel life is great just the way it is, that just don't see any room or need for improvement, will post their views as such, not desire to learn anything new, and just move on.

That's your choice. It won't stop me from feeling things can be better and posting my ideas on how that can happen, and it won't stop you from saying nothing needs to change.

Please, enjoy your day and your life! Honestly! Life is too short to get all bound up over harmless little words you don't even find relevant to your existance!

Anarchocap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PeterM said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gun Nut said:
...If I have to live in fear of my government, then it just makes everything I believe all the more true!....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gun Nut; Is it just me, or does that statement scare you too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It scares you if I did have to fear my government, or it scares you that it validates my anarchist and autarkist beliefs?

I don't fear my government currently because the cost benefit ratio of the government throwing me in jail for merely posting words is a losing scenario for them.

I just did my taxes a few weeks back and the federal government alone took ~$20,000 of mine and my wife's income. If the government starts throwing the productive class in jail for petty things, its going to cut off the source of its income, shrivel up and die. Now that itself is a very exciting prospect, but I can't imagine the government will ever let that fantasy become a reality by its own hand!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
With that growth of government, I have seen it stick its nose in issues that I personally don't want it in. I have to pay, by what amounts to gun-point, around 50% of my hard earned labor on various taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only pay 8-10%. You must be in the top tax bracket or something.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only pay 8-10%. You must be in the top tax bracket or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, really if you look at all the taxes you pay, not just state and federal income, but medicare, social security, sales taxes, municipality taxes, utility taxes, property taxes, etc. It averages out to about 50% of what the general population makes. Have you really looked at your waste, water, electricity, gas, telephone, and cable bills lately to see all the stuff tacked on to it?

Eg. My phone service costs $15 a month from Cox Communications, yet my phone bill comes to $25 every time I get it, not including local toll and long distance charges. We are talking an additional 66.667% just for having a phone number! In this one example, I could afford to buy a SureFire L1 every year! Could you imagine what people would do with their money on this board alone? The real impact would be amazing to the flashlight industry, and that is just one tiny example!

Most states have sales taxes, and those alone account for at least an additional 6-8% of what you spend. Granted, it is a consumption tax, and as taxes go, the most fair (sic) of a system that steals from people. But I challenge you to add up all the little things all the government entities tack on to the things you do everyday and see what it amounts to.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How could someone so apparently learned write such a flawed argument?
30 million protesters equals most of Scandinavia, France, and Germany?
France alone has 60 million people.
He singles out these 3 countries to imply that they're protesting because they've experienced the ravages of war first-hand.
Well Scandinavia had never been home to a modern war and completely ignored is the fact that Germany and France have the most to gain from the status quo.
They both have sweetheart oil deals with Iraq and in France's case, Iraq is one of their biggest export customers.
France is also over 10% fundamentalist Muslim.
But those aren't the reason they're protesting -- it's because they're sensitive to the ravages of war.
Tony Blair is a bootlicking poodle (a well-reasoned argument if I've ever heard one) but France and Germany are sensitive.
Again, ignored is the fact that most of the former socialist and communist countries who also know the ravages of war were not protesting and are quite actively supporting the war.

He says that Iraq is allegedly trying to acquire WMDs. There's nothing alleged about it.
Iraq had them and has used them.
Iraq handed over thousands of pages to the UN detailing exactly what they had.
Now they only have to reveal their current whereabouts.
If they're gone then prove it. It really is that simple.

He maligns the German Jews for wanting to be warlike.
How about simply protected?
When the German muslims were burning Jewish temples only months ago it was the current German government that simply said, Sorry, we can't help you. Perhaps you shouldn't be so openly Jewish.

Butler's essay begins as a wonderful piece on the workings of government in general but as a meaningful argument its bias and prejudice make it irrelevant.