Computer/ Internet Gurus: Pls. Help

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am breaking in a new laptop (running Vista Home Premium & IE), which hasn't gone too badly considering the non-technical guy that I am, but one weird little issue has me stumped. When I go to ebay.com, everything slows down tremendously----the pages load very slowly, etc. This only happens on ebay---no other website---and it doesn't happen on ebay with any other computers on our home network.

I have tried enabling all cookies from ebay, allowing all pop-ups from ebay, etc., but that hasn't helped.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
well the first thing would be to go to INTERNET OPTIONS, found under TOOLS menu , and see what your cache settings are set for.
inthe GENERAL tab, in the center there is TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES , hit the SETTINGs button and see what up there.

Next would be to do a standard speed tests, and see if your routing is all speedy across the board.
a place like this, shows the many possible servers that will allow this type of testing.
http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/

if that DID work, you could proceed to a web browsing test
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/
Correction: to do the Surf speed, you have to select options there, and undo the speed test, that requires java. you do not need to do the thing that requires java there, your trying to get to the banner loaded surf speed test, so you can test other things.

this tests many things, but not speed. it tests how your grafics handler in your browser is working, the speed of your cache, and the internet ITSELF both country wide and world wide. you have to COMPARE your results with the speed of the internet in general, a slow grafics processing, or general processing, even with a broadband connection will slow this test a bit.

then if the speed is low, you would make adjustements to your network path, like your nic, any routers , and modem.

if the browsing is slow, you would try and make adjustements to video acceleration, turning off cute junk that slows down displays, and stuff like that.

of course it as always can be 101 things, but that a little start.

hmm now Ebay ONLY, there are reports of people THINKING they got activex junk and spyware from e-bay, while generally e-bay doesnt HAVE that stuff on it, i would wonder if there was something on your computer anyways, cause loads of people have lots of crud on thier computers they dont even know what it does.

then various security and firewall settings and all, should not be slowing down because of one particular site, mabey stopping cold, but not slowing.

then PINGING.
go to RUN and type CMD, and hit ENTER.
then ping ebay.com by name.
Ping Ebay.com
then get the number you see there,
and ping Ebay by that number.
Ping 65.259.2.17 <-- like that, but ebays number.
is the ping to them delayed? does pinging them by number work much faster?

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Download another browser like Opera and then try to goto Ebay and see if it comes up slowly in Opera. If it does not then you need to adjust some of the settings in IE or just use Opera. :)

knot

Banned
Here is what ebay typically loads in a page. It could be any one of those page's servers slowing down the page

ebayof5.jpg

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup its gone from 2 pages of code, to 40 pages of code per view 20 of them useless junk, in only 10 years. now if we extrapolate the graph on that, by 2015, it will take 5 minutes to load a page there :) and that will be when were using fiber optic 7 terrabyte connections.

luckily CPF is only at 20 pages of code per veiw.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Other possiblities;

You might be set to use a proxy which makes most pages load fast. Since e-bay pages are not likely to be cached, they will load slower.

Instead of allowing popups, disable them.

You don't say how much slower. Does it happen on the main page (www.ebay.com) as well as the rest?

The fact that it only happens on one PC in your home network would tend to remove network problems from consideration.

I look at several things.Check to see if ...
1) The flakey PC is set to use a different proxy server
2) The flakey PC is using a VPN
3) The flakey PC has a different firewall / virus scanner
4) The flakey PC is using a different DNS server.
5) The flakey PC is really using the same network as everyone else in the house.

My friend did not realize that he was using his neighbor's wireless network. He could not reach his printer over his network. His laptop had built in wireless and was set to 'auto connect'. The neighbor had a stonger, cleaner signal.

It's sometimes worthwhile to spend teh $100 to call in the geek squad to check it out.

Daniel

meuge

Enlightened
Use Firefox + Adblock.

You can learn how to use Adblock here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock

P.S. Ebay loads like 10 scripts, and 6 frames... so a code error in any of those could cause the slowdown.

... And since Internet Explorer is not technically an internet browser anyway (it's incompatible with the standards), it may just be acting up.