UltraStinger Beamshots - Night Pics!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

First let me saythat it is one beautiful little light. I say little because, although the pictures shown of it by itself on the net, coupled with the "brightest flashlight available from Streamlight" advertising make it seem like a gigantic thing, it is not much longer than my Mag 2D and aside from the Turbo-like head, soooo elegantly slim. Just beautiful...

The pictures will be a few posts below.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Lessee, I stuck it in the charger at about 2:30 pm (HST), and it needs ten hours...is anybody gonna be up around a little past mignight? That's Hawaii time, which right now using you mainland guys' weird-o Daylight Savings Time scheme (whassup with that, anyway? You guys all farmers or somethin'?), is exactly three hours behind PST...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zerox:
Where I am it is midnight, how long am I going to have to wait<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well just -- git up early tomorrow?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, alright then...
Ultra-M10-Mag2D.jpg

UltraStinger
Pelican Black Knight M-10
MagLite 2D (actually a 3C ElektroLumens Blaster)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Here are the pictures of the light beams -- I had two other very bright (or so I thought) flashlights to compare the UltraStinger with, the Pelican Black Knight M10 (4C xenon) and the Ultra's own little brother, the PolyStinger (rated at 15,000 CP).

First the ceiling shots, from an angle and about 15 feet below. Here's the Ultra on the left vs. the Poly, both at tightest focus:
Ultra-Poly-clg.jpg

Notice how much whiter and brighter the Ultra's hotspot is.

Then I put it up against the M10 (which has a non-adjustable, set focus):
Ultra-M10-clg.jpg

Although the M10 has a nice bright hotspot, it is noticeably smaller than the Ultra's.

But the differences are not great, not from just fifteen feet away on the ceiling. I wanted to get the lights shining at a distance, to see where the beams start petering out, so I went outside and shot the lights over a small wooded valley behind my house.

First up, the Ultra on the left, the M10 on the right, against a tree that was measured at twenty yards away, digital camera set at optimum night exposure:
Ultra-M10-20-dk.jpg

Then against the Poly under the exact same conditions:
Ultra-Poly-20-dk.jpg

You can see the Poly Stinger's beam has faded significantly to the camera's lens.

And now to separate the menlights from the boyslights -- Forty yards away. First the M10 (Ultra is on the right in both shots):
Ultra-M10-40.jpg

The M10's beam is getting quite faint, even with the camera's night exposure set to maximum.

The Poly did even worse:
Ultra-Poly-40.jpg

The few faint colored speckles on the left are what's left of the Poly Stinger's beam.

In all fairness, all lights were clearly visible to the naked eye, even at 40 yards. But that's why pro reviewers like Craig Johnson of the LED Museum use those accurate instruments like the ProMetric light analyzer -- it really reveals the intensity difference.

Man, I really like this light. Not only does its elegantly slim profile feel good in the hand, it also has that even, intense, and blob-free hotspot, and when you spin the bezel to turn it into a flood beam, the hotspot actually keeps growing for a while, retaining its white-hot intensity with no rings or dark spots before finally breaking up.

Looks like I'll hafta label all my other lights now -- BU (before UltraStinger) and AU...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zerox:
You can buy a HP bulp/reflector for a regular stinger to make it go from 15,000 cp to 40,000 cp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but that would still leave it 35,000 CP short of the UltraStinger.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a HP bulp/reflector for a regular stinger to make it go from 15,000 cp to 40,000 cp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While HP improves a lot of regular stinger's beam quality and makes it a bit smoother and whiter. It's still far from UltraStinger's beam quality.

Cut it short, if you have regular stinger and get a HP, you'll be happy. If you have UltraStinger and get a HP expecting a mini-UltraStinger, you might be a little disappointed if you expect similiar beam quality.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr B,
I have to agree with you on the US. I'm in a non-tactical situation, & have MANY lights which I like. But the US is one of my favorites, if size is not an issue. Streamlight got this one RIGHT. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My Webster's defines "ultra" as:

"beyond the range or limits of; transcending; super; beyond what is ordinary, proper, or moderate; excessively; extremely"

UltraStinger™ -- a most appropriate name for this light, I'd say...

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
MR Bulk; How does the US compare with the PT Surge and the Vector lights? I understand that you were selling these units to make room for more toys. Do you live on the back side of Mililani?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenI:
MR Bulk; How does the US compare with the PT Surge and the Vector lights? I understand that you were selling these units to make room for more toys. Do you live on the back side of Mililani?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, yes I do live on the back side, did ya see the lights over the mountain? hee hee

The UltraStinger is indeed "a magnificent light", as someone else posted after a head-to-head comparison with several SureFire Turboheads. The Surge is no comparison (lotta light too, but sorta spread out too wide IMHO). Now the Vector million power light is in a different kind of class (uhm, make that "wheelbarrow class", since that is almost what you need to move it around). But compared to everything other true handheld light I've experienced, my US is tops so far.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenI:
MR Bulk; How does the US compare with the PT Surge and the Vector lights?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Surge is a great light, but different. It's more of an area light that will act as a fair spotlight. The US is a great spotlight & a fair area light. The Vector is a great spotlight for the price. The beam is not as white as the US, & can't be adjusted (but a great spotlight). The problem is the weight & bulk. I wouldn't think twice about putting the US in my belt & going on a 3 mile hike. Come to think of it, I wouldn't think twice about doing that with the Vector either (I wouldn't). TX

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened
Thanks MR Bulk & txwest; it confirms that I made the right choice for my purposes. I needed something of a slight flood and not really tight spot lighting. I use the Surge for night hikes and I need to see the general area in front of me and the group. The US would have been a little tight for me. We used several SFs, but they don't seem to return for future outings. They just don't last long enough and require too many battery changes. Also, several blew bulbs within the outings. Ouch!