Surefire L1, perfect EDC???

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I really like the Surefire L1 (new version). Was put off by the problems, which are over right? It is 4.5 inches long and right now I EDC a P1DCE which I just put in the right pocket of my jeans when I go to work. This has probably all been gone over before, but...

1. Is it too big, does it need a holster?
2. How does it compare to P1DCE in brightness?? I know how Fenix computes lumens is different.
3. I know Surefire hates it, but are there any discounts for CPF folk from CPF dealers?
4. Does it use anything besides primaries???

This would be my first Surefire, so hesitating to "pull the trigger" so to speak. They sure seem to be proud of their products!

Last edited:

planex

Newly Enlightened
I just received my L1 Cree yesterday SN A00250, this was the batch after they were "recalled" and fixed by Surefire. I am pleased to report that the light is running fine, no flickering problems on high for extended periods. As far as I know the issues have been addressed and it should be safe to order. I ordered my light through Optics HQ. I have purchased almost all my Surefires through them. They do offer a discount, and have great service as well. Go to the CPF MarketPlace under Dealers Corner and checkout CPF specials. They will even test the light on high for you if you want them to.
As far as brightness, the L1 has a larger and brighter hotspot than the P1DCE at least to my eyes. That is no doubt due to the optics concentrating the light. The P1DCE has more sidespill than the L1. Two different types of beams, one for throw (L1) and one for flood (P1DCE). I don't think you can safely use rechargeables in the light. In a nutshell I think the L1 Cree is a versatile light with its long running 10 lumen primary setting and very bright 65 lumen high setting. I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, you have two identical threads going...I responded to the other one but am going to try to move it here because this location makes more sense.

Was put off by the problems, which are over right?

Unless you happen to get stock from the first series and it happens to be a bad one, yes. (My first series light is fine, and so apparently are most of them. The number of actual duds reported here is not all that high.)

1. Is it too big, does it need a holster?

Depends on what jeans, how tight, which pocket, etc., but it shouldn't need a holster. You might want to look into one of the Oregonshooter guards for the rubber switch on the tailcap, though.

2. How does it compare to P1DCE in brightness?? I know how Fenix computes lumens is different.

Can't tell you, but the high setting is quite bright. IIRC it's quoted as 65 lumen, but based on comparisons with other lights I've got I think that's conservative.

3. I know Surefire hates it, but are there any discounts for CPF folk from CPF dealers?

The Surefire party line is that everyone charges MSRP. If by some chance a discount were available, and it was posted in public here, it could endanger that dealer's status as an authorized SF dealer.

4. Does it use anything besides primaries???

There's an information thread with a link to an information compliation HERE. I only use 123 primaries so I haven't noticed, but I think the answer is no, the tube ID will only take primaries.

The combination of low and high beam, the simplicity and durability of the 2-stage momentary/twistie LOTC, the relatively compact size and very rugged construction, and the fact that it uses only 1 123 cell certainly puts it in the forefront of EDC candidates unless you are looking for a "tactical" light.

NickDrak

Enlightened
In my opinion it is a perfect fit for my EDC needs. Dont hesitate to pick one up. I recommend Calvin of BrightFlashLights 352/732-2156 who offers the best service and prices when it comes to Surefire lights.

scottaw

Enlightened
It was a bit big for me, i sold mine and kept my fenix P2D. I like super small, and i don't even use my high modes. I would definately plan to holster or clip it to a pocket.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
It's become my EDC light.
I really like it.
It fits nicely in a Surefire V82 holster (I already had one) if you want a holster for it, but I just put it in a pocket.

Regards
Dave

Mad1

Enlightened
It's the best flashlight i've ever used I lost my L1 a while ago now and have since got a milkyspit ML-1 and it's the best flashlight ever in my opinion.

Added with the delrin tail guard from Oregonshooter, makes it a great EDC light.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pics of the L1 with tailcap?? Also, how much was it and do you have the link for oregonshooter's thread? I have done a search and cannot seem to find it.

Mad1

Enlightened
Here is some pics of the tail guard. You will notice a scar on it the one you will get if you were to buy from oregonshooter would be perfect.

You simply uncrew the plastic guard that comes with the light and put oregonshooters in place, and hey presto your L1 can tail stand. :)

DSCN1021-Medium.JPG

DSCN1022-Medium.JPG

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OS tailcap has its advantages such as fewer accidental ons while in a pocket and tailstand ability. However, you have to press the pad of your thumb onto the ring rather hard, especially to activate the high mode. I removed mine for this reason and just locked it out if I was worried about it turning on in a pocket.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
so many threads about the new L1, I know there are beamshots, but I would like to see some more. With both high and low, and at a greater distance than the other beamshots. Please direct me if there are any such beamshots. And if theres not, please consider taking some, Im suddenly not sure whether I should buy one or not...

edc3

Enlightened
so many threads about the new L1, I know there are beamshots, but I would like to see some more. With both high and low, and at a greater distance than the other beamshots. Please direct me if there are any such beamshots. And if theres not, please consider taking some, Im suddenly not sure whether I should buy one or not...

I'm looking into buying one too. Here's an excellent thread with some beam shots:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169306

Good luck!

merlocka

Enlightened
I just went to Oregonshooter to order one of these, and the site reports that they have stopped selling products.

Does anyone know an alternate place to get this tailcap? I'm a tailstand junky :)

Here is some pics of the tail guard. You will notice a scar on it the one you will get if you were to buy from oregonshooter would be perfect.

You simply uncrew the plastic guard that comes with the light and put oregonshooters in place, and hey presto your L1 can tail stand. :)

DSCN1021-Medium.JPG

DSCN1022-Medium.JPG

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeow, that's a loss. In answer to your question, I don't know of anyone who's making these other than Jim. Making them (at least without the knurling) is probably not very complicated, but you need a lathe, some skill with the lathe and you need buy the delrin (which IIRC is not cheap). Jim told me once that it was a pretty fair PITA and I doubt he made much for his time.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I think that if you decide to purchase a L1 you will understand why Surefire is "proud of their products". I own Fenix lights and they are a great value. They are however, not in the same league as a Surefire! :)

merlocka

Enlightened
Yeow, that's a loss. In answer to your question, I don't know of anyone who's making these other than Jim. Making them (at least without the knurling) is probably not very complicated, but you need a lathe, some skill with the lathe and you need buy the delrin (which IIRC is not cheap). Jim told me once that it was a pretty fair PITA and I doubt he made much for his time.

For anyone that is interested, I emailed Jim from OregonShooter about the L1 tailstand caps. He was very nice about it, and is doing a "Going out of business" sale for the SF tailcaps. And he is offering a discount for CPF members.

The thread is here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2069680

And here is the actual tailcap:

http://oregonshooter.ecrater.com/13682/4557f0bcb353c_13682n.jpg

Note - I am by no way affiliated with Jim or OregonShooter, I just emailed him asking if he has any last tailcaps laying around for sale.

I hope the mods are OK with me pointing out this link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brozneo

Enlightened
It's the best flashlight i've ever used I lost my L1 a while ago now and have since got a milkyspit ML-1 and it's the best flashlight ever in my opinion.

Added with the delrin tail guard from Oregonshooter, makes it a great EDC light.

+1 my L1's have moved up in my flashlight world after going to the Milky Labs!