P3D Rebel 100 worth buying over a P3D-CE?

P3D Rebel 100 a worthy upgrade over P1D-CE?

• Total voters

Ice

Enlightened
I've read a lot here about the new Rebel 100s and especially the Fenix P3D with that LED.
I own a Fenix P1D-CE and just can't decide if I should buy such a P3D Rebel 100 or not... :sick2:
There seem to be some users who are extremely satisfied with their P3D Rebel and others who just consider it crap. (Are expectations that different or are there so huge differences between different lights?)
Anyway, I thought a little poll would help me and some others as well (please consider brightness as well as beam tint and beam smoothness).
Thanks in advance!!!

Edit:
Actually I'd prefere a slightly (!) yellowish beam tint that resembles a little those "old" incandescent flashlights. I've read that the Rebels have just that kind of colour, is that true?

Last edited:

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
In the spirit of CPF, I had to have both.
The Rebel Fenix is nice. Lots of light, different levels.
Probably really don't need turbo mode or strobe but why not?
Beam shape both appear to lean to the flood side but do carry a good way outside at night.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
If you like the smaller size maybe a P2D with a Rebel 100. :)

I just ordered one Wade. I have a P2D-Q2 and wanted a Rebel 100 to compare with. I e-mailed 4 sevens to make sure they have an OP reflector and he said they do. Can't wait to get it!! :)

paulr

Flashaholic
It looks from the Rebel L1T photos that they use the same reflector with the Rebel that they did with the old led. That's probably not such a great match since the Rebel package is much smaller so there's an oversized hole in the reflector, looking silly and losing light. They may have gotten this product out the door a little too fast. I hope they do one with a properly designed reflector matched to the Rebel.

People do report favorably on them and so I'd probably pay a few bucks extra but not much more than that.

I think I might order the new Rebel80 based L1T though, it should be a big improvement over the old Luxeon. Why don't they offer a Rebel100 version though? They are still stuck with the idea that only the economy users will buy the non-digital interface. They are wrong.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one Wade. I have a P2D-Q2 and wanted a Rebel 100 to compare with. I e-mailed 4 sevens to make sure they have an OP reflector and he said they do. Can't wait to get it!! :)

I held off because I have a P2D Q2 as well and I have a feeling there isn't going to be a lot of difference with the Rebel 100, but let us know. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is like comparing apples to oranges.

When I went down to the local Fenix store, I saw the P3D. The thing is HUGE, won't fit in my jeans pocket comfortably. Almost as big as the L2D sitting next to it. For me the biggest torch I will pocket carry is the Civictor. I will belt carry my L1P but not anything longer than that.

As for brightness I remember the discussions about upgrading from a T bin Luxeon to a U bin only a year ago. Those discussions came to an abrupt halt when the Cree XRE showed up. Remember sometime next year Cree will be shipping the R3 bin XRE and Lumileds will counter with an RB120 or RB150. I don't think it is worthwhile upgrading for every incremental bin increase every month or two. Er, make that 2 weeks. Remember the poor souls with a Q2 special edition in the mail when the Q4 abd Q5 bins are announced.

One other point I like to make. The P3D uses TWO lithium batteries. Combining that with the warning not to run in Turbo for more than 10 minutes and I start worrying about things going BANG. To minimize the danger get a good battery checker to make sure you load the light with matched sets of batteries. And don't try to get every last Joule of energy out of them. Instructions on Quickbeam's website

d123

Newly Enlightened
It looks from the Rebel L1T photos that they use the same reflector with the Rebel that they did with the old led. That's probably not such a great match since the Rebel package is much smaller so there's an oversized hole in the reflector, looking silly and losing light. They may have gotten this product out the door a little too fast. I hope they do one with a properly designed reflector matched to the Rebel.

If you check the Fenix-store site for the reason for the delay on the new Rebels, it does have a new reflector.

The new rebel lights are slightly delayed. New reflectors were made for them
(so the bottom of the reflector has a smaller opening).

Dave

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only reason for P1 is size . . i have no rebels yet, however given the choice... P3D rebel 100 all the way

Ice

Enlightened
Damn, I just recognized that I have written P3D-CE in the headline where I wanted to write P1D-CE... :banghead:

Anyway, I just ordered a P3D Rebel 100. I'll give a few impressions when I got it.
Thanks for your help! :)

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Damn, I just recognized that I have written P3D-CE in the headline where I wanted to write P1D-CE... :banghead:

Anyway, I just ordered a P3D Rebel 100. I'll give a few impressions when I got it.

You got it yet???

I hate all this waiting around:grin2:

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
My P3D Rebel 100 came in yesterday. Compared to my regular P3D the light is warmer, little more yellow. On turbo, to my middle aged eyes it is brighter than the regular P3D but not blazingly so. When compared to my Surefire 9P with the Wolf Eyes D26, really hard to tell which is brighter. I like it. :candle:

RustyKnee

Enlightened

I got my l2d 100 yesterday. It is brighter than the p1d ce, but huge in comparison (thats aa bats for ya). the tint is warmer, and the beam smoother than both my p1d ce and p3d ce. I think my p3d ce is brighter still....but it is running lifepo4 bats (not sure if the voltage is slightly higher than pimary cr123s still though). the claimed figures say the l2d rebel 100 should be brighter. might be how i perceive the brightness though

reds and browns seem a bit better with the rebel.

Stu

Last edited:

Windscale

Enlightened
I have already stated in another thread that the CE works well with 17670 but the RP100 does not. It is a real pity.

Ice

Enlightened
Just a little update:
I received my P3D-Rebel100 a few days ago, and it really is a great light. It is brighter than my P1D-CE, but just barely! Actually I had expected a little more...
Anyway, I'm rather pleased with it!
Thanks to everyone for your help! :)