GE Advantium Oven

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
I am finding myself in need of a new oven after my range died, and am considering going with a nice gas cooktop and a wall oven. Does anyone have one of the GE Advantium ovens? Any thoughts on how well they work? If it helps, I don't do a lot of baking (cookies, cakes, etc).

Thanks for any information you might have...

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an Advantium.

I never had a kitchen range die on me but I've had to replace heating elements on electrics, and clean the burners of gas ranges.

I know some like gas, especially chefs, but I much prefer electric. The way I see it, electric burners are faster, safer, and slower too, depending on what I want to do.

If I want to boil water (I'm pretty good at that :)), I can do it faster and without without heating the handle and lid. If I want low heat I can get that too without the danger of the gas flame going out and filling the room with gas.

Early electrics had a limited range of power settings but the modern ones allow any power setting.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try this forum:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

The GE's you mentioned seem pretty nice.

For baking, many recommendations were for electric convection and gas for roasting. For the technically savvy, there may be differences in finished product but to us, our electric convection does fine for baking and roasting. I suspect the gas will be fine too. Either way, ovens have characteristics to learn so finding hot spots, temp variations and rack locations is part of the learning curve.