Fenix P2D-CE problem

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I received my new light a few weeks ago. Super bright . .all worked well. I put it in the drawer . .a few day later took it out and was much dimmer. I replaced the cell with a new one (tenergy, this time) and back to full brightness. I thought I must have had some intemittent pressure with the switch. Bach in another drawer with no contact with anything.

Now a week later I take it out and there are effectively no levels. All settings very dim.

Any ideas? Could the switch be causing this? Before I send a note to the dealer, I thought I'd ask.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the P2D-CE is designed to work best with lithium primary cells. A rechargeable CR123 battery is 3.6v off the charger and the LED driver goes in to direct-drive(above 3.2v) at that voltage. It will make the light brighter then it would be on primarys(You'll also loose all modes except SOS and Strobe) but at the cost of run-time.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I am using primaries . . albeit they were not name brand. But even bad batteries should have longer than a 1 minute on capability. The one week off is causing something the drain the batt.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can check the switch in the tailcap with a multimeter and see if it really cuts the circuit or not. When the switch is off no current should flow. Remember that a few milliamps for many hours can drain a battery.

Delta

Enlightened
Are those powerizer cells light blue? I don't think they are protected, so watch out. I gave some to a freind at work once for his SF G2 and he accidentaly had the switch depressed and the cells went into thermal runaway and the whole light flamed out and melted in his pocket. I stay away from those things. I more or less only buy Battery Station cells from Lighthound.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
They are light blue. I've tossed that batch and I'm now on Tenergies. In the future I'll be using SF or Panasonic . . .but I don't think that's the issue here.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I'm having this same problem with good quality Energizer / Duracell CR123A primaries.

Weird thing is, my light will start working again if I let it sit for a few hours.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
i could be way off base here, but once in a blue moon it happens to me as well with my P2d... I just screw off the head and give the + terminal contact inside the head a few scrapes with my fingernail (I know, I should clean it properly... CAS should come and take my baby away) and everything returns to normal.

If your contacts are clean/cleaned regularly, than obviously this is not the problem

Latest posts