dereelight help

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i just got my dereelight 2 stage from lighthound today it worked great till about 5 minutes ago i got a protected ultrafire 18650 to use in the light. when i open the package i put the battery in and the light lit up fine i put the battery on the charger to get a full charge put the batery in the light again it came on but it was very dim even on high mode anybody have this problem

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
i just got my dereelight 2 stage from lighthound today it worked great till about 5 minutes ago i got a protected ultrafire 18650 to use in the light. when i open the package i put the battery in and the light lit up fine i put the battery on the charger to get a full charge put the batery in the light again it came on but it was very dim even on high mode anybody have this problem

It probably wouldn't light up at all if you absent mindedly put the battery in backwards the second time, but you never know. I think I read that the battery goes in negative first on the 2 stage. Or, the protection circuit could have crapped out when the battery was charged. Just guessing.

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i made sure the battery had the right polarity because even thought the light has reverse polarity protection nothing in this world is fool proof there is always a chance for something to go wrong and i checked the battery when i took it off the charged and it was 4.2 volts

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
i made sure the battery had the right polarity because even thought the light has reverse polarity protection nothing in this world is fool proof there is always a chance for something to go wrong and i checked the battery when i took it off the charged and it was 4.2 volts

If you don't have another 18650, you could try two alkaline or 3 NiMH AA batteries and a wire to see if it is the light or the battery causing the problem.
thinking.gif

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or throw in 2x 123A primaries to make sure it's not the battery. Also test without the tailcap to rule that out (short the negative of the battery to the tube). Try a few different batteries. Good luck.

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i think the light went out i tried it without the tailcap an it was still dim and i also took the light engine out of my nuwai x3 to check to see if the battery work and the led lit up maybe the driver in the dereelight was defective

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
i think the light went out i tried it without the tailcap an it was still dim and i also took the light engine out of my nuwai x3 to check to see if the battery work and the led lit up maybe the driver in the dereelight was defective

I'm glad your Nuwai X3 didn't go poof with the 18650, since it's designed for only 3 volts. Without trying different battery(s) in the dereelight you still don't know for sure if the dereelight crapped out or the 18650 has a problem under the heavier load of the dereelight.

Last edited:

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
just tried it with alkalines and it was still very low i sent an email to light i'll just see what happens

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
just got a reply back from lighthound i have a replacement on the way wow i did not think it would be that easy to get a replacement light they have great customer service

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez: Ah, lighthound! I wasn't sure where you got the light. Yes, you should receive the new one pretty quickly from them. I am in Arkansas and stuff from them gets here fast. I'm tempted to get the Dereelight, but I want the Cree with smooth reflector, which isn't listed. Let us know how you like it after using it a while.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: Ah, lighthound! I wasn't sure where you got the light. Yes, you should receive the new one pretty quickly from them. I am in Arkansas and stuff from them gets here fast. I'm tempted to get the Dereelight, but I want the Cree with smooth reflector, which isn't listed. Let us know how you like it after using it a while.

Howdy Mockingbird, I'm pretty sure you can get a Cree module with the optional smooth reflector. If Lighthound doesn't have it (a quick call or e-mail should tell you that), then I'm pretty sure you could get it directly from the manufacturer, over in the Manufacturers corner:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166478

big_willie

Newly Enlightened
i asked about the smooth reflectors and they said there wasn't a high enough demand yet but maybe if some of us ask enough they might get them

bspofford

Enlightened

Mockingbird - I think that I have some new 2-mode CREE Dereelight P60 modules with smooth reflectors if you're interested. They came with new lights for which I purchased Q2 5-mode OP textured reflector modules, so I never used them. Let me know if you want me to locate them for you. BTW, the CREE module easily unscrews from the aluminum reflector, so I could just swap reflectors if you want.

Last edited:

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
bspofford,

Thanks for your reply. I should be receiving a QuadStar Phaser in a week or two, unless Wayne pushes the deadline back yet again. I really should wait before I buy another light, but I will keep you in mind.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I had the exact same experience with my 2-stage, but mine was purchased direct. I could smell the burned component in the module. I have not yet received a reply since my request for service Friday. Lucky for you your bad unit is from Lighthound.

Hondo

Big Edit: Whoa! Some kind of E-mail snafu, and they could not reach me. I just found I had PM's on the Marketplace side, and Alan was all over this - ON THE WEEKEND! New parts already coming, great service from the Dereelight folks, thanks Alan!

Last edited: