Brighter--G2L or G3

iholla

Newly Enlightened
Havent been on for a while and now the new G2L is out, how does it compare to the G3 as far as light output and runtime? I have an older G2 that I love but I may either get the 2L or G3?? Whats your opinion...

BoomerSooner

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a GL but I would imagine the G3 be brighter, especially if there is ambient light around, and kick it's butt with the optional P91.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I would go with the G2L you would get much better runtimes and nice white light. the G3 would be better if you needed a long range light but only if you were using the P91/200lm LA, and then you only get about 10min of good output. the G2L will stay at max output for 3+ hours, its not as bright as the G3 but IMO its better.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the G2L you would get much better runtimes and nice white light. the G3 would be better if you needed a long range light but only if you were using the P91/200lm LA, and then you only get about 10min of good output. the G2L will stay at max output for 3+ hours, its not as bright as the G3 but IMO its better.

Just wondering where you got the 3+ hr runtime info. I've been looking for a runtime graph etc before I buy that light. There are many claimed runtimes, but I haven't yet seen any hard tests that show a flat line until X minutes. If you have that I'd be interested.

Thanks.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find out if the P60L can handle 9v, then buy the G3 and wait for the LED assembly to come out as a separate upgrade. This would give you more options. If the P60L can't handle 9v, then I'll just have to go back in my corner and cry, because that would suck.

mx125

Newly Enlightened
mx125, try here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170143

Nobody has posted any runtime plots yet, but some people seem to have good info.

**Oops, I see that you've discovered that thread already! My bad...**

No problem . .thanks for the reply. I guess no one with testing equipment has one yet. I wish quickbeam was still doing reviews. I have a feeling the 80lumen surefire estimate will be closer to the competion that it seems. If their 80 is more like 90 . .and a Fenix 135 claimed is more like 115 . .then it could be a race.

mdocod

Flashaholic
keygrips suggestion is best IMO

I understand the LED module will be available as a separate unit later on, and will probably be compatible with 2-3 cell lights. 9V lights are more versatile (more lamp options, more practical and efficient rechargeable solutions if you are so inclined. ). So I recommend the G3.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G3 is a better buy because it's more versatile. You can always upgrade it later. 9V lights are awesome because you get a lot of battery/bulb options.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
A P90 incan lamp assembly (used in SF's 9v lights:G3, 9P, etc) will easily out shine the P60L LED module.

The LED module has runtime in its favor, but that's it.

-dan

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Holla, that's a tough question. I just got my G2L today, and I have a 9p with P91 and a G2z with P61 to compare it to.

I have put a brief review in the G2 LED thread on the G2L.

As far as the G2L and G3 question go: If you have a choice of one or the other this is what I would do:

Buy a G2L. Take out the P60L, and sell the rest. If your existing G2 does not have a LOTC, keep its P60 and sell the rest of that one. Put that money towards the G3 and a P91 bulb.

Why do I suggest this? If you love your P60 in the g2, you will discover a new love with the P60L imho. You will never need to buy another lamp assembly again as LED's don't burn out / fail etc. If it does, its under warranty.

The P60L off initial specs is compatible in the G3 with 3 batteries (longer runtime, not brighter as I understand). This way if you want to use the G3 with the led, you can throw your old p60 in the g2 and you will still have two usable lights :)

Why get a P91? IMHO there is not sufficient improvement in the P90 to offset the runtime / 3rd battery etc against the G2L. Yes it is brighter, and the hotspot is substantially wider. However if you really want a 'wow,' 200 lumens is a better visible difference. IMHO 200 lumens is the minimum amount of light for 'tactical' (can't think of a better word at the moment for it) type purposes. Sure 65 lumens is Surefire's minimum for dark adjusted eyes, but in my opinion 200 lumens is substantially better (particularly when ambient light is around). More than that and you start to get 'bounceback' from walls indoors etc, so for me at least the p91 in the 9p and HOLA in the m3 is perfect.

I get the impression cost is the main issue over getting one or the other. If its not I'd just say get both and use the old g2 as an emergency light in the house or car etc :) . If cost is an issue, you won't want to be spending big on batteries. In that case, the G2L would be my recommendation. Plenty bright enough, and GREAT runtime compared to the G3. 20 minutes runtime for the P91 is acceptable for me because I only use my surefires in 'flashes,' not constant on. one set of batteries can last me 6 or 12 months because I have a L1, or aa lights for general use.

If you could tell us its intended use we might be able to make more specific answers.

Hope I helped :)

Latest posts