My Camping Experience

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
greeting all!

this is a good chance to share the fl;ashlight part of this weekend's camping.

We drove close to a chapel on the mountain and walk there LOADED with stuff. (for me the advenbture was also a drill for my em-comm personal setup)

Among the loads were:
My Extended C2 with a HO-9 bulb
Huntlight FT-01 3W on my belt
a cheapie 1xAAA chinese 5mm led flashligfght
A pocket lantern (Osram)
Some fauxtons
A Petzl Taktikka XP (ahhh)
and Car Double Neon bulb lantern running at 12V and powered by a 7AH sealed lead acid battery I also carried (for the radio primarely!

So at about afternoon we had the tend set up, and just the time I had set up a field antenna pole and was about to press the mic button some rain came....

We were invited in a building next to the chapel cos a member of the committe was there too. And believe it or not by the time it was dark, he fired up the GENERATOR!

So what used was made from my flashlights were:

The Taktikka during the trips to the rest room
The C3 equivalent playing around wiht my beam
The FT-01 when my buddy was chasing bugs during sleep

I had the Taktikka hanging from a chair next to the bed during sleep, and when I reached home I realized it is still there!!!!!!!!

So much for trying weeks to buy one from the US....

Wish me luck finding it again, kostas

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
for general camping, especially in the summer, flashlights are only useful after dark, and by then it's time for the tent.

This year's trip I only used my gerber sonic and my gerber FIRECRACKER. Despite the names, both lights are pretty quiet.

They're needed to find my way to the tent and read for a while. Didn't spend much time outside at night, as it gets cold, hence, no need for more powerful flashlights.

Most important is to bring extra cells incase it gets turned on in your pack.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most used camping light is my Princeton Tec headlamp. Other than a tent light, and my TL-3 to spot around in the woods, I use the PT for everything. Though next time I go camping I'll use the 120P clipped to my ball cap for a headlamp, and the Tiablo A9 to spot around.

I know few people that go in the tent at dark. We usually don't get back from hiking until right before dark. Then we'll cook dinner in the dark, and stay up around the campfire with a couple cocktails.

Camping is great isn't it? I think I'm going to plan something the end of Sep. I can't wait to try out the new lights.

Wok

Newly Enlightened
On a recent camping/fishing trip I discovered a shortcoming of white LED torches......not as effective as incan in spotting croc eyes. I had to use M#g11 for reassurance. In hindsight, the lack of red will have to be compensated for in the new field torch.....will have to wait for Cree to produce red emitters.

eng hoe

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a recent camping/fishing trip I discovered a shortcoming of white LED torches......not as effective as incan in spotting croc eyes. I had to use M#g11 for reassurance. In hindsight, the lack of red will have to be compensated for in the new field torch.....will have to wait for Cree to produce red emitters.

eng hoe

Actually if I was going to be moving at night in the woods/water for a long time, I'd bring my ROP.

Gryffin

Enlightened
My most used camping light is my Princeton Tec headlamp. Other than a tent light, and my TL-3 to spot around in the woods, I use the PT for everything.

I'm with Nitro. In my case, it's a Petzl Tikka XP that does almost everything. On high with the diffuser of, it reaches waaay down the trail, or pretty far into the woods; on low with the diffuser on, it's good for reading in the tent without frying my eyeballs.

I'm a big believer in back-ups, though. I keep a Petzl E+Lite with the first aid kit and other emergency gear; a red Glo-Toob FX (set to low) hung inside the tent; if truck camping, a MagLED 3C for extra reach; and a Photo Freedom To The Max in my pocket survival kit as a last resort.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm too many flashlights in my case too...

Next time there will be:
A Huntlight Ft-01 with an aftermarket multimode Cree module and a home made diffuser.
A Taktikka XP ( a new one if I do not find mine)
A Palight Survival in the various stuff, always for me funny pack

and maybe a loaner. This trip the FT-01 was loaned to my buddy cos he came unprepared without a flashlight !!!!

enjoy all, kostas

Wok

Newly Enlightened
Actually if I was going to be moving at night in the woods/water for a long time, I'd bring my ROP.

It was toss-up as to which I built.........never envisaged a practical use for the incan! The bum side is that the borofloat didn't survive one fishing session.

eng hoe