Surefire L4

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
From what I have read, the Surefire L4 seems to be one of the most popular and most used flashlights. I'm wondering what everyone likes so much about them? Is it worth the money for this tiny flashlight?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course.
It uses a Luxeon V that creates a brillian ball of light.
It's a flood light, and great for indoor use, trails, or "self defense" purposes.

It's really thin and compact. Very reliable and sturdy.

Great light, everybody should own or have owned at least one. :devil:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with the L4 is that it lights up just about everything in front of you for around 60 feet. It is fantastic indoors and outdoors unless you want to use it as a spot light.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Goatizzle pretty much nailed it. For lighting up an entire area (room, trail, etc), the light is unmatched. It's size is also a selling point, as well as it's simplicity. If it does what you need it to do, then it is well worth the price.

Last edited:

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
Would you say that this light would be impressive to someone who has not owned a "high-end" flashlight?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say yes! It is smaller than a mini-mag and an Inova X5 and it's output absolutely crushes these 2. I was working at night and I handed an L2 (output and beam type is equivalent to and L4) to a co-worker. When he turned it on and shined it out in front of him, he was amazed. I have been amazed also.

Illum

Flashaholic
only disadvantage about the surefire L4 AFAIK is
1: not much throw...mostly flood
2: gets hot fairly quickly, could be an advantage on those cold days ;)

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK??? please explain. many thanks.

The Surefire L4 AFAIK is a special operations variant of the L4 that produces significantly more light in the UV spectrum at the expense of some extra added heat build up.

It also has a composite coating on it's body to reduce the heat signature so that it cannot easily be identified by IR detection while in use.

Finally, the AFAIK also has a Laser target identifier that allows operators to designate targets for enhanced accuracy for air strikes.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
To illuminate your yard if it isnt to big its a perfect light! It also works very well indoors it really are a awsome light! Would be great to search a house with, illuminates a whole room! I really love mine! It dont see much use, but as been said, everyone should own one! Its almost like the A2! :)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
would a seoul be an upgrade over the lux V or no, how is it against L2D seeing as flashilght reviews has L4 output at 5500 as compared to 8800 to L2d

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
would a seoul be an upgrade over the lux V or no, how is it against L2D seeing as flashilght reviews has L4 output at 5500 as compared to 8800 to L2d

Is that measured in Lux? The Fenix will probably have more throw because of the die and reflector design. In my opinion, a seoul would only be an upgrade if it retained the beam pattern while increasing runtime. Other than that, I think the Lux V can still hold it's own.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire L4 AFAIK is a special operations variant of the L4 that produces significantly more light in the UV spectrum at the expense of some extra added heat build up.

It also has a composite coating on it's body to reduce the heat signature so that it cannot easily be identified by IR detection while in use.

Finally, the AFAIK also has a Laser target identifier that allows operators to designate targets for enhanced accuracy for air strikes.

It should be observed that the AFAIK variant is only available to Delta Force members and Agency operatives. It is extremely labor intensive to mfg an AFAIK unit and they are highly prized for their robust construction.
When used in the forward air strike scenario they are exceedingly accurate. :poof:

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be observed that the AFAIK variant is only available to Delta Force members and Agency operatives. It is extremely labor intensive to mfg an AFAIK unit and they are highly prized for their robust construction.
When used in the forward air strike scenario they are exceedingly accurate. :poof:

I have just been informed that I may have breached protocol by discussing some of the details of the highly classified AFAIK version on a public forum.

I am going dark for an unspecified period of time 'till all of the possible fallout for my lack of discretion in distributing information dissipates.