Surefire Regulation

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Is there really a microprocessor in Surefire's regulators?

Is it an actual dsp or programmable logic unit? Who makes it and which models have them?

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Surefire markets most of their LED series as being digitally regulated. They even advertise some flashlights, like the U2, as having a microprocessor controller.

TMorita

Enlightened
Is there really a microprocessor in Surefire's regulators?

Is it an actual dsp or programmable logic unit? Who makes it and which models have them?

Ummm, a DSP would be serious overkill, kinda like using a nuclear warhead to kill a fly.

I would expect a cheap PIC 16Fxxx or something.

Toshi

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm, a DSP would be serious overkill, kinda like using a nuclear warhead to kill a fly.

I would expect a cheap PIC 16Fxxx or something.

Toshi

The A2 uses a PIC. I bet the ones with the hall effect switch also use a similarly cheap micro. I agree with the comment on the DSP. It's serious overkill.

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, does anybody have any internal shot or any confirmation of a microprocessor? I would think that having a PIC is overkill. I was thinking that Surefire used a simple transistor based controlled circuit with a FET or something else. If they did have a microcontroller, maybe we can reprogram it to overdrive the regulator to push out more light, or we can program it for special modes such as strobe or a modulated beam.

TMorita

Enlightened
what's the DSP? why's it overkill? long posts please :D:D:D
thx,
Flash

It's like deciding you want a microprocessor-controlled flashlight, so you use an quad Intel Xeon 7100 dual-core processor with 16 megs of L3 cache and 32 gigs of RAM running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, and put an HDMI and USB port on your flashlight so you can program the modes on a 1600x1200 screen in 24-bit color with a 3D GUI, and install Oracle server on three terabyte drives in a RAID 5 configuration so it can always recall the last mode on powerup.

From the current trends with programming languages, I expect this to happen within the next three years.

Toshi

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that Surefire's regulated led lights use various buck, buck/boost and boost converters. Nothing special about their circuits, though they are probably not as efficient as Wayne's, or Georges80's. They seem to have built in polarity protection which also makes them less effficient.

Bill

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DSP is a special Surefire model ordered for the Defense Standardization Program. I think it has somewhere over 200 lumens and can transmit data.

See:
http://www.dsp.dla.mil/

and
http://investors.saic.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=193857&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=893798&highlight=

and the last half of this article
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/sections/news/news/article_444492.php

and "Infrared-Thermal Friendly Force Identifier "
http://www.special-operations-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1072

Ummmm, are you serious?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Anyway, does anybody have any internal shot or any confirmation of a microprocessor? I would think that having a PIC is overkill. I was thinking that Surefire used a simple transistor based controlled circuit with a FET or something else. If they did have a microcontroller, maybe we can reprogram it to overdrive the regulator to push out more light, or we can program it for special modes such as strobe or a modulated beam.

I'd suspect that using a transistor-based circuit is overkill :)
An 8-pin microcontroller, with PWM and an A/D for a voltage comparator, costs less than $1 qty 100. Most will run on >2V; add resistors, an inductor, and a capacitor (and maybe a FET) and you're done. (Well, you still have to write that ucky software...) It might seem silly to replace a two-transistor oscilllator with a uc, but you get higher efficiencies, ability to use the same module in more flashlight models, and much more sophisticated UI.

I would seriously doubt you could reprogram it - even if they're using an in-circuit programmable model, they'll probably lock it down to protect the proprietary software.

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Are cheep regulators normally microcontrolled or are they analog circut controlled?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are cheep regulators normally microcontrolled or are they analog circut controlled?

Regulators are built with single purpose in mind and are tailored to the specific application. There are no microcontrolled switch mode controller (this is what I think of when people refer to "regulators") that I know of. They all have analog and some digital circuits internally like op amps, bipolar or FET's, oscillators, comparators, flip flops etc.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Regulators are built with single purpose in mind and are tailored to the specific application. There are no microcontrolled switch mode controller (this is what I think of when people refer to "regulators") that I know of. They all have analog and some digital circuits internally like op amps, bipolar or FET's, oscillators, comparators, flip flops etc.

I have not seen a driver chip with an onboard microprocessor, certainly not one that is user-accessible. Most small microcontrollers make pretty good switching mode controllers, but the expense of designing them in and writing the software limits their use.

On the other hand, if the OP was asking "Can a microprocessor control a switching mode chip?", the answer is yes. Low end chips usually have a voltage input as feedback to control the current. Some chips also have a PWM input; I think I recall a few that have MODE inputs (hi/lo). Obviously, a microprocessor (really microcontroller) could interface with these. I do not know if Surefire or any other commercial lights do this. A good example of this type of thing is the convertor that drives the backlight in a cell phone.

To try to drag this back on topic to atone, several of Surefire's lights are advertised as "microprocessor controlled"; it's very unlikely you could tweak the processor to get more output (but you might be able to change sense resistors, etc and get more light at the expense of reliability/life).

ganled

Newly Enlightened
So, let me get this straight, Surefire uses a microprocessor controlled switching regulator that uses multiple buck boost units? Is this anything special?

Also, I though that hall effect switches are active and require power to sense position. Wouldn't the design cause inefficiency?