Photon ReX? Also check out the new proton!

Pher

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any info on it? I think it looks like a neat light. Rins off li-on button cells, has four nichias, and recharges off a AA cell. If you guys know anything about it please post. Heres where I found
it:http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

Scroll half way down to the photon section.

Edit: Also look at the new proton. Its got a cree now.

Edit: I canged the name of the title so maybe more people will look.

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
Re: Photon ReX?

There hasn' been much discussion on it yet except for some people who saw it at the outdoor retailers show. I look forward to hearing what they're like and will almost surely buy a few. I really like the rechargeable design as accidental turnon in your pocket isn't as big a deal if you can just top it off instead of having to buy/replace batteries.

I am also awaiting reviews of the Proton Pro, but it sounds like that may be a few months away yet. This could be a really versatile light with 60+/- lumens max and almost infinite adjustability giving one a very low low which many people dislike about the Fenix low setting.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone have any info on it? I think it looks like a neat light. Rins off li-on button cells, has four nichias, and recharges off a AA cell. If you guys know anything about it please post. Heres where I found
it:http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

Scroll half way down to the photon section.

Edit: Also look at the new proton. Its got a cree now.

read abou the ReX the other day on www.backpackinglight.com

i'll certainly be purchasing one (and a new Cree Proton too).

my main "crab" about the UI for the Proton is that it comes on in MAX for the white LED instead of ramping up and that there is no built in "hunting" (overshoot when adjusting and you must turn it off and start all over again - very poor UI, IMO).

obviously, this shouldn't apply to the ReX since only a single color of LED is used and a press-hold will begin ramping up from the lowest level. there is no "hunting" in the ReX (if it's identical to the current generation of Freedom Microlights).

there exists more than one simple fix for these issues, involving minimal code changes. not sure why the UI isn't improved with the new releases. i've contacted both LRI and Photon no less than three times about this over the last 3+ years. perhaps if more made similar suggestions, a UI change would be implemented?

Pher

Newly Enlightened

half-watt, I agree with you on the UI's. I have never tried a proton but reading about them it seems like the UI would be hard to get used to. Also my brother has a freedom and I like the UI. My only problem is that i can't tell witch strobe mode I'm in.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I figured all I needed to do is buy a Proton and a new model would emerge. I wonder what the layout of LEDs looks like. Obviously the Cree will be in the center, but will there be one red to the side or maybe two or three reds. Can't tell from the pic. BTW, I have no problem reading with it. Just find a good level and leave it there. It would be nicer for me if the white started low and ramped up and down, but I think this would complicate things and probably require a second button.

Geoff

Grubbster

Enlightened

It looks from the picture like it has an optic.:(
I agree on the UI. I wish it at least had a memory function to turn on at the same level when turned off.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened

What interests me is the line:

". . . very excited over the prospect of introducing a new, even brighter 5mm white LED to all the lights in the line. David tells us that these new Nichia LEDs will be exclusive to Photon initially."

A new, twice-as-bright Nichia 5mm? Available in September (I'm assuming in the existing Freedoms).

I saw a hint on the Arc pages that a AAA LED upgrade was likely for sometime next year, but it wouldn't necessarily be a Rebel/Cree/SSC (which, when you think about it, makes sense as these would need a lense).

Maybe, of course, I'm entirely wrong and I'm jumping to bad conclusions.

AlexSchira

Enlightened

Curious about the new Nichias. The new Proton has my Surefire becoming paranoid. The ReX...Not my cup of tea, but a very, very well done device that will catch on once it finds it niche. The idea of sucking power from any cell, it's genius combined with the Freedom interface. They say it may not be that much brighter, albeit with the extra LEDs for flood. This little guy may really hit it off with survivalists and gadget types.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Nice find ! :thumbsup:

Gonna' hafta' buy a few more PhotonFreedomToTheMax units when they come out.

'Course, i'm gonna' need the Covert Nose models. :)

My "old" models will make nice gifts to non-CPF'ers.

_

matthewdanger

Enlightened

It would be nice if the ReX could be powered with a coin cell in the same way as the Photons. It seems that the recharging unit would be pretty easy to break/lose. However, it is one of the more inovative things I have seen in some time.

And the news about brighter 5mm LEDs is pretty exciting. Some of my favorite lights use still use 5mm LEDs. I would love an even brighter X5.

Pher

Newly Enlightened

barkingmad, I dont have an exact date, but at the bottom of the photon section, It says theyll be out early next year.

Alexschira, I think it will be brighter than the photon freedom.the page says that its as bright as the freedom after 2.5-3 hours.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool stuff. I will have to have a Proton Pro. The Rex will be cooler IMHO when the USB charger becomes available. Keep the battery adapter put up and just charge it every few days while working on the computer.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really looking forward to the ReX. I did not expect this but it has really grabbed my attention!

I really like the style/size and 4 LED's (also they will be 2X brighter than even the Nichia CS's). It will fit in the pocket without notice. It looks to be very solid if made with the same material as the photon's. It should be capable of very useful output and the runtime to be used as a true flashlight and not just a keychain light. It can be recharged very easily.

Having the pushbutton switch is cool (and nice attention to detail by giving it a glow button).

And since the ReX is still very small, you can also carry another favorite pocket light if you want - true flashoholic style!!!

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The charging limit is my main worry, then. 500 charges...I've had to send iPods back with bad batteries after a year or two, I know LRI is known for warranty but I hope the replacement cells are do-it-yourself. The warranty works on everything except misuse and the battery life if I'm correct, imagine they'd be selling replacement cells. Also do like the glow button, understand it got good enough reviews on their cheaper X-light model, very good R&D there.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering if there will be heat issues with four LEDs in that little plastic body? I am also worried it looks complicated enough so it may be problematic, much like the early Protons were. I like the fact that the Lithium-Ion batteries have a low enough self discharge so that if you leave it on the keychain for a few months without charging, you won't lose much of a charge.

xiaowenzu

Banned
I am really looking forward to the ReX. I did not expect this but it has really grabbed my attention!

The Photon ReX is gonna be the next big thing on CPF, I tell ya! :grin2: It's the light that has the potential of taking the 'Keychain Crown' off the Photon Freedom - Twice the brightness with the same run-time! You can beat that. Oh and did I mention it recharges by sucking the life out of any pitiful cells lying around the house.. it doesn't even require a charger because it's built into the light!! :D

Here's 6 reason to be VERY excited about the Photon ReX:

1. Size of a thumb.. weighs almost nothing. (I've always refrained from getting an arc-AAA as Keychain light because of this reason - I'm 'weight sensitive' and HATE carrying a piece of metal tube in my pocket, especially when it's much bigger and heavier than my car remote!):thumbsdow

2. Twice as bright than Photon Freedom with same runtimes (3 hrs of regulated Maximum):D

3. It's Li-on (Save money!) and recharges by connected the magnetic leads DIRECTLY onto any pitiful cells you find lying around the house.

4. The Charger is built into the light (how innovative!), so there's no lugging around a cumbersome adapter - you can't lose it!

5. Made with same reliability and toughness of the Photon Microlights lights. Enough said. :twothumbs

6. It's U.I (same as Photon Freedom) is one of the most intuatives out there. :popcorn:

7. GITD button!

Last edited: