Fenix L1D-CE contact/design issues?

Beckler

Enlightened
Got my new L1D CE a week or so ago--my first serious LED light. Anyway with the head turned all the way in, everything's fine. But screw it out to access the other (low) modes, and it starts acting funny. Last night, it would flicker alot when I set it to the lowest setting. This must be a contact issue since when I wiggle the head a bit side-to-side, it flickers/changes brightness.

I noticed the issue right away but at first it was only this: when you loosen the head the minimum amount (from fully tight), then the low modes aren't safe from head movement. But now its worse, not even requiring any head movement to start flickering. Unscrewing the head a full half turn or so makes it better, but the problem still occurs. Also, it seems to happen less after using the light for a while (a minute or 2 maybe).

Maybe it's be the battery; I'm using a Powerex NiMh AA but tried another of same type and a Duracell...no better.

Apart from being ergonmically silly (hard to use with one hand, etc) the head seems to have this problem as well; tho I don't see how I didn't read anything about it in reviews, etc. What are your comments. Thanks.

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new light.
I have the same flashlight as you, but I never had problems with flickering. Maybe it has something to do with the contacts - try to clean the contacts on the inside of the head (the silver ring, also clean all parts on the body that aren't anodized). I would also try to unscrew the tailcap and remove the switch (there are two small holes, you can unscrew it with tweezers), clean it and put it back again. I think someone had a similar problem and it was solved by tightening the switch inside the tailcap.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
I would check the threads on the head and body. The ring on the head is for the turbo mode, and since it's working fine, I don't think there is any problem there. The other modes ground through the threads, so if there's contamination causing poor contact, you might see flickering, especially when wiggling the head like you described.

KuoH

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beckler, I've had exactly the same problem initially (i.e. six months ago). My L1D CE did not like the general mode but only turbo.

The solution was the usual one, cleaning the threads once, twice, three times. After that no more problems. I used alcohol and a clean cotton rag. Then silicone grease.