Add Fenix L2T v2.0 to the list

Gaffle

Enlightened
I have a list of lights that I want to own. The problem is that this list gets bigger and bigger.

I really am a "Made in USA" kind of guy, but it is tough to find everything that I want in the states. Elektrolumens still has a place in my heart with the Lucidus. I just like that solid aluminium body and the textured grip. OOOHHH, I want one.

Then I saw the Jetbeam CL-E. It is cheap, $20USD with the CPF discount from Emillions. Cree, multi level (after you clean the threads...), small. Nice!!!

Now here I am floating around CPF and I see some shots of flashlights using the Rebel. OOOOOOO, its warm, OOOOO its bright, OOOOOO its still LED. I then coast to the Fenix site to check out their Rebel lights. Man oh man. From here you have a hard decision (for myself).

A. L2D CE, with the Rebel. Shizam, lots of modes, great regulation, still uses AA. *drools*

But wait, whats this? There is another alternative? I'm already on overload, gimme a break coach.

B. Fenix L2T v2.0, also with Rebel. Only 2 modes, high and low. Pow, easy enough. *Drumroll* To sweeten the L2T deal, it is $20 cheaper then the L2D.

It is kind of an exciting time these days. The lights just keep getting better and better, and the price is staying the same. It is a good time to just let my list get a bit bigger. I know there are a lot more lights I would like to have on the list, but I am being practical. I don't add everything I can't afford to the "real list". Those go on the "wish list".

It is also exciting that AA is making such a large comeback. Especially with LSD nimh around. I know ultimately that lithium holds more juice, but I am cheap, I want to use my stuff again and again.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the L2T v2.0 would have been more appealing if they would have used the rebel 100 LED. Maybe there will be a version 2.1 in the future?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if the Rebel100 gets too hot in continuous use, so they had to go with the Rebel80 in the L2T.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
This has been covered a bit already, but...

The Rebel100 "bin" is more expensive and harder to get. The only R100 equipped AA light that Fenix is putting out is the "L2D Premium.", which is $10-20 more. All 4 other AA models use the Rebel80 bulb, including the L2T 2.0. As they improve manufacturing, the 100 will become the standard and the 120 will be the premium, its just a question of when. The constant: better will cost more. For me the question is simple, which model puts out the most light for the UI I want.

Gaffle, I'm right there with you. Preferring standard cells, drooling over LSD (my standard nimh's died on me again tonight :hairpull:), and wanting made in USA. That last one fuels my ongoing frustration with Mag. Reminds me of Ford/GM with hybrids, there's a change in the wind and no one's manning the sails.

In the mean time, the Fenix guys are cranking out the latest and greatest (turning on a dime) and those of us wanting more flash for the buck have few alternatives. I'm saving up for Henry's next creation, but in the mean time, an L2T 2.0 filled with LSDs strapped to my handlebars is looking mighty tempting.

Last edited:

Vickers

Enlightened
I pulled the trigger on the L2T last night...this'll be my first Fenix light. I especially like the high-low only UI.

Hard to resist 140 (-ish) lumens for 2.5 hours at 43 bucks after the discount.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the L2T v2.0 also. Actually the runtime on high with the e2 lithiums is almost 4 hours...
yikes.gif
Can you imagine that???? This just may replace my P3D that I EDC on my belt loop.
thumbsup1.gif

fenixl2thighiu5.png

Last edited:

clipse

Enlightened
Yeah, I ordered one as well. I'm thinking of moving my L2D CE to my BOB and using the L2T V2 as house duty. :D I can't wait till it gets here. :D

clipse

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

clipse

Enlightened
I just asked David that very question this morning while ordering an L2T V2.0, and he said the old L1T body will not work with the new L1T/L2T V2.0 heads. But, he tried one of the new heads on an L1D body, and it worked. Which is cool, because I have an L1D body already. :thumbsup:

Crap!!, I had an L1T that I was planning on swapping the heads on for EDC. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get an L1D body.

clipse

manoloco

Enlightened
I just asked David that very question this morning while ordering an L2T V2.0, and he said the old L1T body will not work with the new L1T/L2T V2.0 heads. But, he tried one of the new heads on an L1D body, and it worked. Which is cool, because I have an L1D body already. :thumbsup:

And i suppose it would work also the other way around, meaning an l2d rb100 head on a l1t v2.0 body should work too...

if that assumption is true, then by luck i got fine lego possibilities when i purchased an l1t v2.0 and a l2d rb100 premium

would wateproof level be compromised in those mixes?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I order a L2D CE RB100 last night myself. Can resist to see what those new Rebels can do. Once I get it in, I'll swap the 2AA body for my L1D CE (Cree P4) and see how well it does as a 1AA light. It will then go on my bicycle helmet light for testing.
The new L2D CE body will have the old L1D CE head put on it and run as a 2AA light.

phosphor

Enlightened
Gotta' love all new Fenix offering !! I read occasionally criticisms that Fenix might not be around in the future to honor their lifetime warranty and that their lights are not "Surefire Tough"; no self-respecting "operative" would apparently pick a Fenix to complete their next mission. Perhaps all that is very true....but in my experience Fenix light are reasonably priced and fulfill the EDC function with aplomb. Mine always turn on and work perfectly when employed....and the daily knocks and bumps they receive haven't yet defeated their engineering. Of course YMMV.

- regards

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap. I originally ordered an L1T v2.0. I then e-mailed David and Gary asking to change my order to the L2T v2.0 if the new L2T v2.0 would fit the old L1T bodies. They e-mailed back saying they would change the order but would check for compatability first. I received my shipping confirmation saying that an L2T v2.0 was shipped. Now I read this and think Darn. I guess I'll wait and see what comes to my house.

EDIT: Have just been in correspondance with David and in his usual manner he has resolved any issues.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I order a L2D CE RB100 last night myself. Can resist to see what those new Rebels can do. Once I get it in, I'll swap the 2AA body for my L1D CE (Cree P4) and see how well it does as a 1AA light. It will then go on my bicycle helmet light for testing.

Please report back on the performance of the package for cycling. I'm particularly interested in 1) brightness/tint as it relates to 'resolving' the moving street scene and 2) how the orange peel reflector throws the light in terms of light size/concentration and beam quality. ie, does the Fenix/Rebel package work as a headlight?

Thanks!

paulr

Flashaholic
It really annoys me that they only offer the 100lm led with the digital circuit. It's as if they think that the digital light is superior to the 2-level light and therefore people wanting the premium led of course automatically want the digital features. In fact many users just plain prefer the simple UI. I have an L1DCE but want to get an L1T 2.0 so I can throw away the digital one and be done with it. OK, well not literally throw it away ;). But I want the premium led with the simple interface.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still thinking it's a heat problem. 140+ lumens for Fenix is getting into their previous "turbo" category. I'm not sure if it was ever really worked out if you could run at turbo continuously, but I think there may be heat, tint, and output level issues if you run these things too long in the 160 lumens range and higher. The runtime guys say they got their runtime charts by cooling the flashlights with fans. (Well, one guy I recall. )
I'm looking forward to people's reviews.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It really annoys me that they only offer the 100lm led with the digital circuit. It's as if they think that the digital light is superior to the 2-level light and therefore people wanting the premium led of course automatically want the digital features.

I've read that 100's are as available as 80's. And if they wanted to use a more efficient emitter without pushing more lumens, they can configure for more run time AND less heat. Which leaves marketing...

Spend a few minutes in the Apple Store and you'll see the very same thing. An extra $1-200 buys just that extra bit of processor speed and HD space An extra $50 doubles the music room on your next iPod. Fenix is upselling. Put in the 3 extra modes and a better emitter and you can call it Premium and charge more.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don 't think that quite makes sense. They put the 100 in the P2D and L2D with lumen ratings of 175 lumens and don't mention any heat problems.

Anyway, I got my L2T V2.0 yesterday and like it quite a bit. The beam is smooth and has a nice warm tint. Plenty of power and throw to light my whole back yard. I am pleased with it, but have reconfigured it. I put the L2T head on my P2D body, and took the switch and rubber boot out of the L2T end cap casing and put it in the P2D end cap casing, and now I have a P2D Rebel with the momentary tactical switch. I'm really liking my little P2D/L2T 2 level tactical combo a lot. :thumbsup: Now my L2T is temporarily an L2D.

L2T-P2DComboB.jpg
L2T-P2DComboA.jpg

I'm still thinking it's a heat problem. 140+ lumens for Fenix is getting into their previous "turbo" category. I'm not sure if it was ever really worked out if you could run at turbo continuously, but I think there may be heat, tint, and output level issues if you run these things too long in the 160 lumens range and higher. The runtime guys say they got their runtime charts by cooling the flashlights with fans. (Well, one guy I recall. )
I'm looking forward to people's reviews.

Last edited: