Photon ReX - Rechargeable Microlight

celler

Newly Enlightened
I did a search and saw no mention of this light, so I thought I would see if anyone knows anything more about it. Apparently, Photon was showing a demo of this new light at the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City. You can see Doug Ritter's review (Equipped to Survive) here.

According to Doug, the ReX rechargeable will be available in late fall and will sport four 5mm Nichia LEDs. The pictures of this light at Doug's site are really neat. The charging system uses any typical AA through D cell using a thoughtfully designed wiring harness.

This would seem to be a perfect go anywhere emergency light. Although I've never really had any run time issues with Photons, this light would seem to be directed to the "off the grid" group that want battery flexibility in a small form. With a target price of $30, it may be worth a try.

No word about this light yet on Photon's site or their messageboard. I guess we'll have to wait and see if this becomes a reality. Hopefully, this will make it to market a little quicker than the Proton. What did that thing have, maybe four different pushed back release dates?

Craig.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Rex design is really cool and I will definately be buying one. I wonder how much brighter the LED's will be.

The new Proton looks interesting too - now it will be hard deciding which cool light to carry. A Rex will always be easy to keep on hand.

Burgess

Flashaholic
gee, it would be nice if these two threads were merged . . . .

:whistle:

_

xiaowenzu

Banned
My goodness, that's crazy!! *massive drool* :eek::eek: that's like having the power of 4 Photon Freedom lights on your keyring with 1.5 hours of regulated max brightness. - and it recharges by sucking life from any pitiful cells you find lying around. COOL I CANT' WAIT!!:twothumbs:twothumbs

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
I just pre-prdered me 1 to check out. If I like them I will get several more to give as presents. I just cant imagine not having my Photon Freedom in my pocket though:crackup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone has handled one and can provide measurements of the size? Also waiting to hear any additional information on battery capacity and wether or not there is a low voltage protection feature which would protect the cell from overdischarge.

I have two on order and the waiting is tuff. I hope that LRI keeps to schedule.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I hope that LRI keeps to schedule.

:lolsign: ___ :lolsign: ___ :lolsign:

:whistle:

_

scott

Enlightened
that's like having the power of 4 Photon Freedom lights on your keyring with 1.5 hours of regulated max brightness.I CANT' WAIT!!:twothumbs:twothumbs

No...it's like having EIGHT Freedom lights on your keyring! Supposedly, the LEDs used are new, and are twice as bright as those used in the current Freedoms! I've got one on order, and can hardly wait.