OH MY GOD I GOOGLE EARTHED AREA 51!!!!!!

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
WOW!!! I just google earthed area 51. Its so cool!!!! I found hangar 18 and everything. I also found this huge alien space craft that had weird lights all over it. oh wait sorry that was just my imagination. But seriously its so cool someone else do it and you'll see what I mean!!!

KingGlamis

Banned
I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the aliens brought the technology for SureFire lights, which is why they cost so much. :thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
very old news actually, theres a couple threads on this over the years especially when the beta version of Google earth came out......unfortunately these blokes in black has access to the satellite orbiting intervals and with no geosynchronous satellites directly on top they stash their latest discoveries and builds in the hanger whenever the sats come about taking update shots :ohgeez:

what scares me more than being able to see area 51 is the ability to see china's underwater missile sub complexes that china officials have denied in existence :eek:oo:
for those who have GE on...
area 51: 37.23333n, 115.81666w

[OT]
China's underground sub facility [Jianggezhuang Submarine Base] 36° 6'15.66"N 120°35'6.02"E
news article: http://www.imagingnotes.com/go/image.php?art_id=1&img_id=4
Koreas capsized vessel: 35°9'20.89"N, 129°8'49.49"E

[OT]

Last edited:

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Area 51 has probably been downgraded a bit due to it's publicity. It's still top-secret, but now probably just "regular" top-secret stuff.

You want to look for the facility called "S4" that's not too far away in the same region. That's where it's conjectured that the really "does not exist" stuff has been moved.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You what?

I hope you're not lolling at me. Google Earth does come with links. There are even lots of web pages dedicated to GE and area 51.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Area 51 has been "exposed" for quite a while now. When they start making movies about it, you can be pretty sure it's no secret anymore. At one time, it was possible to hike the surrounding mountains and get pictures of the base directly, but that stopped about a decade ago when the governemnt finally realized what was happeneing and took over all of the surrounding mountains. Supposedly most of the installation are buried in the mountains and underground so they can't be seen from the air. Look up the name Bob Lazar, he claimed to be a MIT graduate and former employee there before leaving, then the government erased his identity when he went public.

Whatever used to be there, probably isn't there anymore since everybody seemed to know where Area 51 was. Supposedly, the new facility is hidden somewhere in New Mexico/Four corners region. However, they still keep Area 51 tightly guarded, don't even think of trying to sneak in. I know for a fact there are patrols watching you as soon as you enter anywhere near the property, and they sure the don't like it when you pretend to step over the border in the middle of the night.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunately these blokes in black has access to the satellite orbiting intervals and with no geosynchronous satellites directly on top they stash their latest discoveries and builds in the hanger whenever the sats come about taking update shots :ohgeez:
I guess the thought that geosynchronous satellites can see pretty much half the planet at once (and certainly whole continents) didn't occur to you when you typed that. :ohgeez::ohgeez: And the lower satellites can have orbit durations measured in hours, and since they don't all orbit at the same rates you'd have to "cover up" every few minutes. :ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:

Look up the name Bob Lazar, he claimed to be a MIT graduate and former employee there before leaving, then the government erased his identity when he went public.
There was a doco here a few years ago which mentioned him. Wasn't he non-security clearanced janitor, and so unable to get to the secure areas he claimed he had? Or maybe it's all a big conspiracy.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I guess the thought that geosynchronous satellites can see pretty much half the planet at once (and certainly whole continents) didn't occur to you when you typed that.

They can see half the planet, but not at a resolution that can show anything. :ohgeez:

And the lower satellites can have orbit durations measured in hours, and since they don't all orbit at the same rates you'd have to "cover up" every few minutes.

They don't "cover up" for every satellite - just the ones that take pictures... because of course they know which ones do that and they track them. :ohgeez:

:shakehead

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
They can see half the planet, but not at a resolution that can show anything. :ohgeez:

They don't "cover up" for every satellite - just the ones that take pictures... because of course they know which ones do that and they track them. :ohgeez:

:shakehead

Exactly. Google Earth and it's ilk are composed of a combination low-polar orbit mapping satellites like Ikonos, and aerial photography where the airspace isn't restricted. (i.e. Area 51, Chinese military bases etc…)

And a geostationary earth observing satellite wouldn't be very useful for ground observation as it really couldn't map even close to half the earth. Only the near center of the face of earth directly "underneath" such a geostationary satellite would be at a decent 90 degree, or close, angle for viewing, not to mention atmospheric distortion as the angle towards the edges of the globe gets ever more severe.

So sorry TorchBoy, there's probably very little, if any geostationary imagery in Google Earth. :thumbsup:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You what?

Just to clarify, I got miffed about the idea of a geosynchronous satellite not being "on top" of the place, when there are probably several "on top" of the whole USofA, not just Area 51. From memory they're 384,000km out, which I do know makes them quite far away for spying, but gives them a great (distant) view of whole continents at a time. They wouldn't be the best for high resolution photos.

And IMHO there are lots of satellites that take pictures, so IMHO the Area 51 (or whereever they are now) guys would have to have their toys indoors almost all the time if they were really concerned about photos. YMMV, depending on your Personal Conspiracy Rating. :naughty:

At the beginning of this year we had a list in our daily paper of the various types of satellites and their typical altitudes. How many in total? This article claims "Some 8000 satellites orbit the planet..."

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Area 51 on Google Maps and Google Earth used to be blocked out with gray circles. Perhaps the classification has been downgraded.