Water Filters

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I've been using a PUR countertop water purifier for a couple of years. It really improves the taste of the tap water, in addition to filtering out lead and other nasties. The problem is that their filter design sucks and it takes forever to get any usable quantity of water through the thing, because it basically drips out. So I fill gallon jugs and keep them in the frig.

Anyway, I've decided to replace it so I went to Consumer Reports, and last year they gave their top rating to the Kenmore Model 34551, which was sold at Sears and KMart for around $50, but now is not on their website, so they may have replaced it with this new model I found. It's a Paragon P3050ON

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...op+Systems&pid=00855871000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

and it claims to not need replacement filters. It says it will clean 10,000 gallons of water, which is supposedly about what an average family uses in 5 years. I'm single so it would probably last my lifetime.:) I've never heard of this type of technology that they are using, and wonder if it really works, and is any good. I'm sceptical that this thing would be able to perform well for such a long time. Does anybody here have a clue on this stuff? (The 34551 is being sold on ebay).

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I think I may have answered my own question. I went to the Paragon website. Their models that don't use replaceable filter cartridges basically are only removing the chlorine taste from the water. They also make models like that Kenmore 34551, and those do a complete purification treatment, removing lead, mercury, and other contaminants, not just a taste improvement. I'll go with one like that. I'm disappointed Sears are opting to push this other type of technology that really doesn't do a complete job. They don't mention its limitations on their website. I'm sure many people are being misled by assuming this new model has the same functionality of the older model. If you live in a building with old pipes, lead contamination is a real issue.

http://www.paragonwater.com/Par.html

mahoney

Enlightened
I use a countertop filter that hooks to a diverter valve that screws on to the faucet. It takes standard filter cartridges. There's a chrome version at the Paragon site you linked to, but I've seen white plastic ones for less than the $100 the chromed one costs, at Home Depot, OSH, and local Hardware stores. You can put any filter cartridge you want in, from plain pleated paper ones for particulates to ones that will filter out almost all chemicals and biologicals. I have found that the water flow is slower with the better filters, but it's still way faster than the PUR pitcher.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the counter tops described here, do you have a control where it screws onto the faucet where you can bypass the filter and just run straight tap water, you know similar to the Pur faucet mounts?