Any Malaysian/Singapore CPF's around? I'm looking for travel tips and suggestions!

gunga

Flashaholic
I'll be in Malaysia for 3 weeks from Sept 1st to 22nd.

Gonna be on Borneo (diving and such) for a week, then, hanging in KK, climbing Mtn Kinabalu and checking out Poring Hot springs.

I will be heading to Penang Sept 14th, then making my way down to KL and likely Singapore (traveling with a non-flashaholic friend).

Any CPFers have any good suggestions on transit, hotels, cool places to see? I won't have too many lights with me (2-3) but I'm sure I'll make do!

How are the buses between Penang to KL and KL to SIngapore? Thought these might be easier than flying due to airport hassles. WHat do you guys think?

Should I overnight bus it?

Any cool places to check out lights?

:naughty:

Freyth

Enlightened
I've got one tip for you when you visit Malaysia (although it doesn't apply to all parts of Malaysia): Just be very careful. A Canadian was jumped by 3 men because he got out of the taxi when the driver refused to use the metre. No offense or anything but crime rates are increasing there.

For lights in Singapore... can't say for sure but there's one that sells Surefires. IMO way overpriced. They're called Sheares, perhaps one of the Singaporean CPFers can help you out here. Not too sure of the exact location.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Malaysia back in 1999 and loved it. The currency exchange rate was more advantageous to Americans back then though. I ate like a king. :)

If you have the time to check out Pulau Tioman, go for it. I did a puddle-jump to the island for $24 back then, and stayed at a real classy resort for less than $75 a night. Beeeeautiful beaches.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, I'll be in Lankayan, then overland to Kapalai for some sweet diving.

Have booked the KK part of it, with Mt Kinabalu and POring hot srpings on the agenda.

I'm just trying to get a better idea of what to check out in KL, Penang, and Singapore.

Thanks for the PM dreamer!

:wave:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.

anyway, if you are going to Malaysia, DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!, wear too much expensive stuff with you.

wear clothes as plain as possible, no bling bling watches.

plz keep your belonging safe.

also, dun go swarming around at night.

tourist are best targets for the thieves...

if you are coming to Singapore however, you can wear anything you want , so long it is does not give the impression of "i am a rich tourist , come rob me :) " kind of signal.

and you can roam around at night safely :) (not that i am bias or anything but it is the cold hard truth)

i think there is taxis or buses to come to Singapore from Malaysia, not too sure as since the age of 3 i have not leave Singapore.

sim lim square if you want to buy some electronic stuffs e.g. camera,hardware,memory card, batteries for your cameras,laptops(AA,AAA,9V,CR123,CR2 can be found too, but they can be found everywhere[ok, not everywhere e.g. on the floor but you get what i mean] in Singapore) .

although some shops are well known to CHOP carrot heads (also known as charging extra to tourist who don't know the price)

try the foods!
curry fishhead
bah kuh teh(pork in 'herbal' soup)
chicken rice!
char kway teow(simply put, stir fried noodle)
rojak
satay
pepper crab
chilli crab

plz note that the food in hawker centers/food courts, taste better then those found in most restaurants[no kidding, and the restaurants charge more too].

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
He he he... Sweet, thanks for the info.

I'm a travelling, so I will look like crap...

:crackup:

However, I will be carrying a big camera, so that will give me away.

Mmmm, the food sounds awesome.

BTW, how long does it take to get from Johor Bahru to Singapore? Do I need to get a visa or something?

Juz

Newly Enlightened
Hey gunga, funny how my first post doesn't have anything to do with flashlights. :) I've been lurking here for a couple of months since I moved to Melbourne. To all the Melbournian CPFs, hope to join you guys on your meets soon! :wave:

Anyway, you should have a great time in Malaysia. As with any touristy place, just adhere to some common sense and you should have a great, hassle free and safe trip. When you're in KK as well, do the island hopping trips when you're not diving. Penang has great food! I agree that flying within peninsular malaysia will be a hassle, as the airport is far from the city centre. I recommend using the Nice bus company from Penang to KL.

http://www.supernice.com.my/

From KL to Singapore, travel via aeroline. A great comfy bus.

https://www.aeroline.com.my/

From Johor Baru to Singapore is probably 1/2 hour to 45 minutes depending on the traffic on the causeway. Do be a bit more alert in Johor, as I heard the crime rate has escalated there a bit.

All in all, have a great time buddy! :twothumbs