File police report or not?

bitslammer

Enlightened
OK. Here's the story. One of my main routes into work is through an industrial area along the river. Lots of big trucks pulling on/off the road.

Today there are 3 gravel trucks that just pulled out in far right lane (curb lane). The road is a 4 lane road with a "chicken lane" (turning lane in the middle). Speed limit goes from 35-50 and in between 40-45. It's not a highway and with the traffic no practical reason to think the center lane is a high speed lane.

So as I go to pass the gravel trucks in a 45mph zone I'm doing 50mph maybe 53. Some moron doing probably 60-65mph flies up on my tail. I just pass the trucks as normal and then he swerves over cutting off the lead truck before I can even get over to the right. He then pulls up next to me, open his window and throws his drink (soda) at my car while screaming obscenities and flipping me off. I just let the moron go as it's starting to rain the the drink will wash off anyway.

I have the license and description of the van. Should I bother to file a police report? I didn't get any other plates of people who might be witnesses so it's probably just my word against his, but I'm thinking it is worth the hassle to me as he could always have a bench warrant out for unpaid tickets or something.

I'm also thinking that if the cops show up at his door and approach it correctly they might be able to get him to fess up. He doesn't know that I have no witnesses but the cops might lead him to believe I do. It also might give him a scare and cause him to cool down next time he's on the road.

On one hand I'm thinking nothing will come of this but I should at least go through the effort and give the system a chance.

Anyone else ever encounter a situation lile this?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't hesitate to file one. If it happens again to somebody else (and it will) can be used to establish a "pattern" against this person. I hate driving around idiots like this.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you mean that the passing car passed you on the right? That's another infraction to add to your list.

My town encourages reports of unsafe driving. They will contact the driver and tell him to slow it down, but I don't think a ticket is issued, since there is no proof. Where's your dash-cam when you need it@!!$.

bitslammer

Enlightened
he threw something at your car.... damn right file a police report. Even a soda can is considered a "missile"

Do u have his tag number?
Yep I have his license number. I am hopeful that if I file a report something will happen. Years ago a very elderly lady hit my car and took off. I called the police and the cop that came to my house pulled up and said "jump in, she lives a block over from you."

We went to her house and he told me how he was going to handle it. He went to the door and talked to her but told me to keep out of sight. She said she was never out. He came back and filled me in and I pointed out to him that her car engine was still hot ticking It was also raining earlier and her car obviously moved because of the wet street beneath it. Other cars that had not moved had dry spots beneath.

He chuckled and joked that I should look into detective work. Then he explained he wanted me to stand beside his car so she could see me and he was going back to talk to her. In 2 minutes he came back with the good news that she changed her story.

He simply pointed to me and said that this young many says you hit his car and he has paint on his car that matches yours. He also told her she was have far less trouble in admitting the truth because if not he was going to hit her with several citations and they would not be good.

In the end I think she was just afraid of loosing her license, but the cop did a great job of bringing the while thing to closure without any court fights etc. I was very impressed at his skills and the way he handled the event. He probably saved me and her a lot of time and hassle.

In this case I'm hoping something similar might happen.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contrary to urban mythos, passing on the right, in a legal lane of traffic, isn't illegal.

Realistically, in a big city, there would be no follow-up to this if a report was filed.

A smaller city may have the man power and time.

In the city I work, if you called in to report it, you'd probably be directed to fill out an online report.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Contrary to urban mythos, passing on the right, in a legal lane of traffic, isn't illegal.

Realistically, in a big city, there would be no follow-up to this if a report was filed.

In the city I work, if you called in to report it, you'd probably be directed to fill out an online report.

Agreed. I figure it's a bit of a lottery draw really. If he ha any outstanding warrants/tickets/etc., then I'm just giving them an excuse to pay him a visit.

As for passing on the right I don't know. If you google there are clearly some places where it's only legal on very strict criteria. Again though I'm not expecting that this would ever see much enforcement.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Well, I am not sure about Ohio, but throwing something at a moving vehicle in Virginia is a felony.

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Yeah, its a good thing you did not retaliate, or you could be in an equal amount of trouble. You did the right thing, there are pyscos out there that would definately fight you over something thats stupid. I say file the police report and get this guy what hes got coming to him.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The police in my area encourage reports of this nature as it helps in future investigations and often will prevent the perp from repeating their foul behavior. I have turned in a few idiots for road rage because doing nothing may have worse consequences.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not that simple. There are restrictions. One reason for the 'rule' is to prevent people from crashing into the car ahead that is trying to get over to let a faster car pass. You're not supposed to 'expect' cars to pass you on the right. If you see them, that means that you need to get over.

From CA code:

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

The vehicle code is supposed to encourage co-operation between vehicles and drivers so that traffic flows smoothly.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad/rude drivers are a pet peeve of mine, but in this case (an obvious nutjob).... meh, let it go.

If there's damage done to your vehicle file a claim with your insurance for the repairs and let them go after the guy.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just fill one out for the heck of it, it wouldn't hurt to do it. It wouldn't be any different from reporting something strange going on outside your house.

I think it's worth a try.
:twothumbs

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scott, we share that peeve and having the police make contact not only makes me feel better that I, at least, tried to improve things for others. Possibly, that person won't repeat the offense knowing some drivers will report it. Left unchecked, some drivers escalate their rage as they age and may do something even worse to someone else in the future.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont want to discourage the reporting of any crime; concurrently, you shouldn't have over expectations of what the Police may or may not do.

(O/T) Reply about passing on the right:

CVC 21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the
right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left
turn.
(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with
unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of
moving vehicles in the direction of travel.
(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district
with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for
two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.
(d) Upon a one-way street.
(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is
restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.
The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a
slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable
to the right hand edge of the roadway.

and

CVC21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another
vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement
in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off
the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried reporting to the police.
Last week I was making a left turn on to the highway on ramp. There were two left turn lanes and I was in the left because I know the right one ends. Going up the ramp right after the right lane ended all of a sudden there was some kia thing beside my blowing the horn and coming toward me. I looked left and the highway was empty so I swerved into that lane as he came over into the spot where I was, then cut in front of me and went into the left lane then flew off passing people and cutting others off. I called the police and reported him and the dispatcher sounded annoyed that I called. This seems to be the case around here, you annoy them when you call to report anything.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first thought is to say let it go as a bad experience, be glad that nobody got hurt and that you're a much better person then he. But then again, I think it wouldn't hurt to file a report, maybe this guy has record of bad vehicular behavior. I would imagine the police would at least run a check on his plates.

KingGlamis

Banned
Report him for sure. And then follow up with the police once a week asking if anything has been done. Be polite with the police and they will listen to you much more.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speeding by you and flipping you off is pretty much a "shake it off" deal.

Throwing something at you from a car, however...

Report it, but don't let your moron find out who you are. I doubt they'd be as benign as the little old lady you helped turn in.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Well I did go ahead and call the district office that covers the road the incident took place on an asked how i go about filing a report. I have to say the conversation was disappointing.

The lady who answered asked if I got the other driver's license plates and I said yes. She then said if I wanted file a report I'd have to stop by and do so.

I asked her if they would at least run the plates and told her I wasn't expecting that someone would immediately try and track the guy down. She said she could say for sure and that the report was only for my insurance. I explained there was no damage to my car to which she asked "why I would want to file a report then."

I told her I'd think it over and said goodbye. I got the feeling from the comment and tone of her voice that this was a waste of my time and an inconvenience to her so I don't think I'm going to bother.