A sad day for people like me

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got news that Mr. Rogers died today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I grew up watching Mr. Rogers, I met him a few times when I was a bit older. He was the guest speaker at my EUP graduation in '99.
Things were always so much nicer when he explained them.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
He will be missed.

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
Me too. He's a fond childhood memory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif But at least I'll always have that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rusty

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up with Mr. Rogers. He was always a target of comedians, but I remember watching him for YEARS as a child.

Watching him as an adult, you appreciated how he brought things down to a child's level, without talking down to a child.

He was a gift to the world. Sure beat that Sesame Street crap!

ab

Enlightened
Fred Rogers' qualities of gentle, attentive compassion and honest innocent creativity will always be remembered. A phenomenal educator, he was also one of the greatest and most active proponents for the wellbeing of children in the 20th century.

A tear is in my eye right now thinking of the decades of selfless dedication he made to the hearts and minds of children and adults all over the world.

Rest in Peace Fred Rogers.

A.

p.s. - for more information on Fred Rogers and his amazing legacy, please see

http://www.misterrogers.org/mister_rogers_neighborhood/biography.asp

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't say enough. I grew up with Mr. Rogers and he even lived up the street from me when I lived in Pittsburgh (or so my parents tell me). I still keep a personalized photo that he had made out to me when I was little.

And he's been one of the few, wholesome childhood preachers who unwaiveringly kept the faith throughout the years. He seemed like a genuine, wonderful person all the way through himself.

As with you others, I was awfully saddened to hear the news.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that is sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

does anyone know how he died?

so binky, you were in mr. rogers neighborhood? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost thirty years ago, I watched an employer of mine succumb to stomach cancer. It was very, very agonizing for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Fred Rogers is in a better place now and his pain is over. God rest his soul....

Dan

Saaby

Flashaholic
Mr Rogers was always my favorite as a child (Er...younger child) not because he explained things so well (Heck, at the time I didn't realize he was explaining things well--I just realized I understood what he was saying) but because they always showed how things were made and such, something that has always intrigued me.

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
Yeah...right on, Saaby. I think my favorite memory of Mr. Rogers was when he went to a crayon factory...at least, I THINK that was him? I remember it leaving a big impression, mainly because of the contrast of those bright colors moving through all those drab machines, and how they started out LIQUID! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rusty

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just reading that he had a laugh when he saw SNL's version of Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood with Eddie Murphy.

It takes a big man to laugh at a parody of yourself. I agree with Evan. People joked on occasion, but everyone liked him.

Of all his shows, I remember the one where he went to see the brass instruments being made. The tubas, trombones and trumpets...almost made me want to become a musician just so I could play with all of them.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

arioch

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
A good man whose loss diminishes us all.

Saaby

Flashaholic
rrtanton--

Funny you would remember that one because it's the one that sticks out the most in my mind too! Don't they start with an orange crayon? I donno...

I remember one where they made stop lights too. Who knew it took so much to make a little light...

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr Rogers

scrying.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
His TV show was very good. He will be missed. I also remember the tour of the brass musical instrument factory.

I think those that made fun of him were too dim-witted to understand that his show was intended for children, not adults.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I saw an interview on TV with Mr. Rogers yesterday..he was talking about how he was an only child and frequently felt lonely. His parents and grandparents loved music. He started playing piano when he was five, and he would express his sadness that way; he said (iirc) "I could actually make the sadness come out of my fingertips into the sound of the piano.." This was at five years of age. He certainly grew into a very empathetic, insightful man. Prodigious.