HDS EDC U60 (Seouled) vs Novatac 120P...which would you choose?

clipse

Enlightened
Is the new Novatac that much better than my HDS EDC U60 with Seoul emitter that I should upgrade? I don't have the money to buy a Novatac outright but I could sell my HDS to fund a Novatac. My HDS I think it quite the powerhouse. It is my brightest LED, completely stomping my Fenix L2D CE and Amilite Neo T5 in overall brightness.

What do you think? What would you do?

clipse

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say stick with your HDS and wait for the newer versions of the Novatac to be released. That would allow for them to improve on things.
I still like my HDS. The only issue I have is it is a buzzy one. :shrug:

Last edited:

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
I certainly wouldn't sell yours to buy the other.

My 120p has been great so far none of the reported problems others have had. Well maybe a little flicker, but the hds does that as well.

The UI is probably an improvement. Setting brightness levels at each setting is really easy.

You'll have a warranty on the novatac.

Those are a couple big pluses I can think of.

There's a chance your u60 is brighter than the 120p.

Build construction/quality may also be better in the u60.

I don't think you'd have a problem selling either one though if you bought one to just do a comparison.

clipse

Enlightened
Okay, I'll keep my HDS EDC U60. I had milky do the seoul upgrade and like I said, its my brightest LED. :)

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I would keep it, I have a stock U60XRGT and Novatac 120P The HDS seems alot better made, if I had to get rid of one of the lights I would keep the HDS not the Novatac, Henry is in the process of making a new line of HDS lights that will greatly improve upon the old ones and be better made than the Novatacs, I would wait for those if you are happy with your HDS.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
My modded HDS B42 is actually a tad bit brighter than my 120P. And after fooling around for a couple weeks I programed it to function the same way as I reprogrammed the Basic. So although infinitely easier to reprogram than a basic I don't really see doing using that feature very often.

whc

Enlightened
Yes keep your HDS, If I had an HDS modded with SSC P4, I would not sell it for the Novatac. HDS seems to be better made, and nicer clip mount. The Novatac has some QC problems on first run, and it is really a hit or miss with the Novatac right at this moment I think. Personally I have been lucky with my 120P simply perfect , but you could just as well be unlucky and get a bad one.

If you have a perfectly working HDS, it is not worth the gamble right now IMO, wait for later batch Novatac or the new HDS series.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My modded HDS B42 is actually a tad bit brighter than my 120P. And after fooling around for a couple weeks I programed it to function the same way as I reprogrammed the Basic. So although infinitely easier to reprogram than a basic I don't really see doing using that feature very often.

agree

I would love the novatac UI in my modded HDS(minus the battery detect bullcrap)

and christoph's clip is 10x better than the novatacs.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say stick with your HDS and wait for the newer versions of the Novatac to be released. That would allow for them to improve on things...
Ditto that. I also have a Milkyspit-modified HDS U60, and it's an amazing light -- at least 120 lumens, beautiful beam pattern, retains all the usual HDS features.

However -- if you didn't already have a modified U60, the choice would be more difficult.

If you had no HDS light at all and want a light of that type in the near future I'd suggest The Novatac 120P.

If you had an unmodified HDS, it would still be cheaper to have Milkyspit modify it than get a new Novatac 120. Or you could sell the stock HDS and then buy the Novatac 120.

But you already have (essentially) an HDS U120, so I'd suggest holding on to that and waiting to see the new HDS lights.

If you wanted something a little different in the same quality and form factor range, there's the new Arc "PD".

With my U60 boosted to over 120 lumens, I rarely take my U2 or Fenix, Fire~FlyIII or Fenix L2D CE. The U60 goes brighter, dimmer, is smaller than all but the FF3, has adequate run time, and runs on both primary and rechargeable cells.

Latest posts