Need help with next keychain light

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all, I need some advice.
I'm looking to replace my Photon III on my keychain. What I loved about it is that it's small and light, waterproof and had low and bright modes.

It fills almost every requirement but two: it's not bright enough and I've found it "on" by being accidently pushed by keys while in my pocket (but only once).

I'm trying to figure out what to get. I want something bright, fairly small (photon to AAA m@g) and won't drain the batt while in my pocket.
I even considered hotrodding the photon, but I have no idea where to start.

The ARC AAA Le sounds good, but it's kinda pricey. Anybody have any suggestions?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Why not just get a regular Arc AAA? Believe me, it's worth it. You won't be disappointed.

arc-aaa.jpg

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
ttp://home.mchsi.com/~lambda/microil.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introducing the Micro Illuminator
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPF ArcMania and Lambda have teamed up to produce the Micro Illuminator, which brings Luxeon brightness to a single AAA Flashlight. Featuring a super efficient MicroPill DC/DC voltage converter circuit driving a Luxeon LED, the Micro Illuminator can provide hours of bright illumination from a single AAA battery. Yes, that's right, 2 to 3 hours of bright, continuous light, followed by a survival mode that provides an additional 8 to 10 hours of useful low level light from just one AAA battery.

Projected availability is 15 April.

Pre-orders will be accepted here shortly

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though i don't have it yet, i would suggest the Streamlight Jr., i've heard it's pretty bright and it is just sooooo cute.......uh, um, i mean COOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and only $10

Citori

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the regular old ARC AAA recommendation. Get a red one if you want extra bright, mine is astounding.

flash....

Enlightened
I have both the ARC and the Photon and they are about the same brightness so no help there.
I would look for a modded light.
Something that appears to be what your asking for would be one of the mods that are currently under way here on CPF with a MAG Solitare with an LS 1 watter. This is what I'm gonna replace my Photon with if possible.
hope this helps... just search...

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Streamlight "Key-Mate". I have one, and like it alot. It comes with a clip, swivel snap hook and a neck/wrist lanyard. It sells for around $9.00 to $10.00, and is has (IMHO) a good beam. However, it uses four LR44 "button" batteres, and not the more available AAA batteries. If you want a light that uses AAA batteries, I would then recommend the ARC AAA light.

Hope this helps.

Mike

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
The micro illuminator sounds cool. I'll have to see what a Brinkman AAA looks like in person.

A solitare mod with a 1W should be just as bright, right?

As far as the ARC AAA in white, is there a big difference between the LE and regular? How would it stack up against the 1W Leuxon?
I like the small size and no "head". I think I've also heard something about a new model run soon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
...As far as the ARC AAA in white, is there a big difference between the LE and regular...

Thanks all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say if you didn't compare them side by side you could not tell the brightness difference between the two. In fact I've seen several regulars that out perform my LE. I would not recommend the LE because I don't think the cost difference is worth it.

Maybe you don't think your photon is bright enough because you have old batteries. There is a significant drop off in brightness after the first hour of use. Or for the first 15 minutes for that matter. The Arc stays at near full brightness for 5+hours.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:

The ARC AAA Le sounds good, but it's kinda pricey. Anybody have any suggestions?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think thats pricey then that Luxeon AAA they are talking about is probably going to cost over $75.

The CPFers on this list love to recommend lights you can't actually get for some reason. The modders produce some neat lights but they are pricey and usually produced in very limited runs that get snatched up in an hour or two.

I'd recommend something that is commercially available and has a warranty. If you don't have an Arc AAA then start there, then maybe try some of the other top rated lights on this forum. Once you get bitten by the bug then you can try the Mods, I can highly recommend the semi-production BadBoy or MadMax. If you don't know what these are then spend a couple weeks reading over this forum. (If you want to keep your pocket book or marriage intact STOP NOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really need something appreciably brighter than your PH-III, you will need to spend at least 50-$60US for an LED driven one, or go with an incandescent...-like (IMO) one of the best in existence (for the money), a real key-chain sized light like the UKE-2AAA @ $10. A best value..----------------------------------------------------CPF value/emission axiom:New tech.>mucho money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifOld tech.>bettr.value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all,
I'm taking the ARC AAA into serious consideration, but the Leuxon AAA is just as tempting. I just have to wait untill my wife leaves for the Iraq. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Then I can play with it all I want and just eat ramen noodles for 2 weeks to offset the cost.
I've figured it all out....and I can start "donating" plasma to afford a 5W next month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And my wife won't be needing her car, that can go as well. In fact, I can rent the master bedroom out and I can sleep in the garage with my overdriven LED's and their heat sinks to keep me warm at night.....
MUST....FIGHT....LUXEON'S....POWER... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif