Is RayOvac 80 lumen better than MMled?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
How much better is that Ray O Vac light that's at Wal mart and runs on 2AA batteries and is supposed to put out 80 lumens versus the Minimag LED? They both use 2AA batteries and both use the luxeon 3 emitter. The Ray O Vac is also about the same price as the MM when it first came out. Is there a big difference between them?

I ask because I'm intrigued by this Ray O Vac, but I also was by the MM, which I bought, was disappointed by, and then returned. I really don't want to do that again.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2xAA "3W" Sportsman Xtreme and the MMLED 3xAA have about the same spot, but the Rayovac has a brighter flood. I suspect that the Rayovac is brighter than the 2xAA MMLED in both spot and flood.

Output is probably around 60-65 lumens. It definitely isn't 80 lumens.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe 80 lumens at the emitter, but like Codeman said, probably 60-65 lumens out the front. In my bounce tests it's similar to my Surefire G2 which is rated at 65 lumens. I will try to do a bounce test tonight of my Minimag 3AA LED and the Rayovac and take some EV readings.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
Maybe 80 lumens at the emitter, but like Codeman said, probably 60-65 lumens out the front. In my bounce tests it's similar to my Surefire G2 which is rated at 65 lumens. I will try to do a bounce test tonight of my Minimag 3AA LED and the Rayovac and take some EV readings.

Thank you, WadeF! I never had the MM 3AA, but I heard it was much brighter than the 2AA. I didn't try it because I thought it was much too big to be practical. I sure wouldn't mind this new Ray O Vac! Much better size, and it looks better too!

Also, if the ROV is as bright as the G2, WOW! Same lumens for $25 and the use of AA batts. instead of CR123s. Quite the deal!

Last edited:

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I had a 3aaa mmled and didn't care for it much. I have the Ray 2aa 3watt and I really like it. I think much more useable output and I favor momentary switches. The mmled's beam was just to much of a tiny spot without decent spill. If I adjusted the beam it was ringy and just didn't float my boat. Your boat may be different though!!!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Kroll switch can be added to any of the AA MM's to get momentary/LOTC. Doesn't help the beam, though! :D

zfreak

Newly Enlightened
I'm on my 3rd Rayovac 3w sportsman now and probably the last because I'm going to return it.

The 1st 2nd, and now this one all work fine until it's on for over 10 minutes, then it starts to flicker, dim, and then doesn't work for like 5 min. I'm using the Rayovac AA batteries in it. (non rechargeable)

Other than that problem, I love the output. Color and output are perfect for a tiny light like this.

aemkei77

Newly Enlightened
My ROV also started flickering with alkalines, now I'm using NiMH and no problems. Maybe you should try them.
Or even better, eneloops, if it is not an EDC light

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm on my 3rd Rayovac 3w sportsman now and probably the last because I'm going to return it.

The 1st 2nd, and now this one all work fine until it's on for over 10 minutes, then it starts to flicker, dim, and then doesn't work for like 5 min. I'm using the Rayovac AA batteries in it. (non rechargeable)

Other than that problem, I love the output. Color and output are perfect for a tiny light like this.

This light is meant to run on NiMH, not alkalines.