headband for L2D CE

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
im looking for a headband for the Fenix L2D CE, does the one from NiteIze work?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
im looking for a headband for the Fenix L2D CE, does the one from NiteIze work?

yes. however, i would NOT recommend it.

i have two of them (purchased at the same time for cheap, but before i knew any better). i also own two of the orginal JakStrap headbands, two JakStrap II headbands, two PakLight headbands, and a home-made "JakStrap" clone of sorts. i like all of the other ones much better than the Nite-Ize headband.

they have an interesting concentric small elastic loop within a larger elastic loop arrangement for holding smaller diameter and larger diameter lights.

IMO, that's 'bout the only nifty thing about it.

here's what i don't like:

1. the band is non-elastic, so it can "walk" up or down on one's noggin' (perhaps i just have a funny shaped noggin'???).

2. both loops point directly forward. personally, i find this less useful than a retaining loop pointed 45deg down. i guess it would depend upon what you want to use it for (i use it for backpacking - 45deg down is good for both task/proximity lighting and nighttime hiking, IMO). you could tip the back of the band up to try to achieve a downward angle mount, but the band may also "walk" back down over time as you move.

what i would recommend instead is a JakStrap - either the original JakStrap or the JakStrap II. the JakStrap II will accommodate a larger diameter light and still hold some pretty small ones too, but the original JakStrap will handle AA and CR123A lights just fine in my experience.

here's a link to IMO ( http://innermountainoutfitters.net/...ch=jakstrap&catalogentryid=449&brand=Jakstrap ) to order (i do it by phone instead of Google Checkout) a JakStrap. Please note that the photo of the JakStrap II is apparently in error. both of mine, ordered fr/IMO, have the elastic+velcro combo band pointed 45deg down.

the original JakStrap has two small (AA or CR123A will fit) elastic bands - one pointed straight ahead and one pointed 45deg down.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, the Niteize suffers from all the faults you mention and is useless for pointing the beam where you're eyes want to look, when wearing on an unmodded human head!

However, it is great for mounting a L2D CE on top of my bicycling helmet. Dead centre and pointing slightly down works for me, for being seen in traffic and seeing when no streetlighting. Also works great for my Arc LS, Peak CPF Rainier, Inova X5, SF G2 etc etc etc.

Not perfect, but it has its uses, shall we say...

...be lucky

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, the Niteize suffers from all the faults you mention and is useless for pointing the beam where you're eyes want to look, when wearing on an unmodded human head!

However, it is great for mounting a L2D CE on top of my bicycling helmet. Dead centre and pointing slightly down works for me, for being seen in traffic and seeing when no streetlighting. Also works great for my Arc LS, Peak CPF Rainier, Inova X5, SF G2 etc etc etc.

Not perfect, but it has its uses, shall we say...

...be lucky

thanks for sharing that info. i can see how that would work, and work well too.

the original JakStrap could probably do the same on a helmet as it has one non-angled loop to secure a light with, but not the II model which only has a 45deg angled elastic+velcro loop.

thanks again. good application for the Nite-Ize headband.