Terralux 3-6Cell cree dropi-in(with AA to D-adapter) or 2Cell dropin for a Mag 2D?

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about putting some LED in a Mag 2D. The terralux drop-ins seems to be the brightest ones, but could anyone tell me which would be the best option, the regular one for 3-6cells but with 3AA to D adapter, or the 2D version with 2D-cells. Or if there are any other better dropins?

1. Which is brighter?
2. How long is the runtime for this two solutions?

Sorry if this have been posted earlier, but I looked around and didnt found anything.
Thanks.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
+1

Assuming you have a 3 cell light, which is a better upgrade, one rated for 2-3 cells or one rated for 3-6?

JamisonM

Enlightened
I've been thinking about putting some LED in a Mag 2D. The terralux drop-ins seems to be the brightest ones, but could anyone tell me which would be the best option, the regular one for 3-6cells but with 3AA to D adapter, or the 2D version with 2D-cells. Or if there are any other better dropins?

1. Which is brighter?
2. How long is the runtime for this two solutions?

Sorry if this have been posted earlier, but I looked around and didnt found anything.
Thanks.
IMO, it depends. What kind of usage will this light see and what kind of batteries do you plan to run in it?

BMRSEB

Enlightened
I personally/intentionally got a 2D Mag and used 2 3AA - 1D adapters. I wanted the shorter Mag but brightest drop-in, it's actually one of my brightest lights, I have a LumaPower DMini and a DexLight X.1. The 2D Mag is brighter than my D Mini and has a brighter spill, the DexLight is almost as bright on 14500.

My 2D Mag has a very large sidespill and pretty good throw, as the reflector is large and deep. I also switched out the stock plastic lens to a UCL glass one. I'd say go for the 2D Mag and the 3-6 cell dropin..:)

Just got a Fenix P3D Rebel Premium 100, will compare it to my 2D Mag very soon.. :)

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
IMO, it depends. What kind of usage will this light see and what kind of batteries do you plan to run in it?

Ah, sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. For the 2D solution I was going to use, well regular 2D cells, and for the 3AA to D solution I was thinking about using 2700mAh Fujicells(think it's the same as the Better Power cells they had earlier) I got from lighthound.
The light is intended to be a general purpose spotter, if that makes any sense. I have smaller lights for general purpose, but sometimes it's nice to have something larger to grab, and longer reach due to the larger reflector.

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
I personally/intentionally got a 2D Mag and used 2 3AA - 1D adapters. I wanted the shorter Mag but brightest drop-in, it's actually one of my brightest lights, I have a LumaPower DMini and a DexLight X.1. The 2D Mag is brighter than my D Mini and has a brighter spill, the DexLight is almost as bright on 14500.

My 2D Mag has a very large sidespill and pretty good throw, as the reflector is large and deep. I also switched out the stock plastic lens to a UCL glass one. I'd say go for the 2D Mag and the 3-6 cell dropin..:)

Just got a Fenix P3D Rebel Premium 100, will compare it to my 2D Mag very soon.. :)

Thanks for the info, sounds good!
How long would you say that the runtime is? Or how long is longest time you've used it?

And OT, is the Dexlight on 14500 brighter than the D-mini? I thought the D-mini was one of the brightest (or maybe it's just the throw?) smaller lights you could get?

robm

Enlightened
At inti ail high brightness (and so highest current) the 6EX (w/6AA) draws about 0.4A.
So the runtime should be at least 5 hours on 6 x 2000mAh AA cells

JamisonM

Enlightened
Ah, sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. For the 2D solution I was going to use, well regular 2D cells, and for the 3AA to D solution I was thinking about using 2700mAh Fujicells(think it's the same as the Better Power cells they had earlier) I got from lighthound.
The light is intended to be a general purpose spotter, if that makes any sense. I have smaller lights for general purpose, but sometimes it's nice to have something larger to grab, and longer reach due to the larger reflector.
I see. Unless you want to go the rechargeable route because, well, you can recharge your batteries, I'd go with the regular 2D alkaline setup. Both will give you decent runtime though, the 2D alkalines the longest I'd guess and you want have to worry about how much of a charge they have after a week or two of use. Something else you won't have to worry about while using alkalines is competition for space on the charger with your other devices that use NiMH AA's.

coldlocus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm leaning towards the 3AA to D adapter since I was planning to get some anyways.
But does anyone know which one is the brightest, 6D(3AAX2) for the 3-6D version or 2D for the 2-3D version, and is the difference significant?
I've tried the searchfunction, but didn't find anything. Surely somebody has tried both?

pilou

Enlightened
I vaguely remember Matt from batteryjunction.com suggest the EXB over the EX for a 3D mag. I also vaguely recall him say that the 6D (9 volts) with the EX is the brightest of the bunch. But the differences are not supposed to be significant.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 4.5V or less I prefer the TLE-6EXB - which basically means for most 2-3 cell Maglites. The B version will be brighter with the 3 cells even when the voltage drops below 4V (B is for Boost!) where the 6EX will drop in output as cell voltage drops below that point.

If runtime is more important though the 6EX will run longer on a 3 cell because it's current draw will slacken as the cells drop below the 4V threshold.

Obviously if you run 2 3AA>1D converters (or a lithium concoction) your forward voltage is 7.2V and you must use the TLE-6EX. It's no longer a 2 or 3 cell Mag if you're using 6-9 cells. :)

Let me further clarify neither the 6EX or 6EXB is really 'brighter.' They're both designed to regulate the current to the emitter and that regulated current should be basically identical. That said, since alkaline cells have so much voltage sag under load as they age that in a 3 cell light on a TLE-6EX you will have a drop in output as the cells can no longer generate the voltage required - this is where the 6EXB has it's advantage as it uses it's circuity to boost the voltage and maintain output. Yes, the 6EX does get nominally brighter as you go to more and more cells but it also has to shed more voltage which creates heat which reduces efficiency. We tested one at 14.4, 18V and then 21.6V a few months ago and it wasn't hugely brighter - it just got very hot (don't try this at home kids).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a Mag2D you can load 3 C cells using some plastic pipe as a C2D diameter spacer. Now you can use any drop in you want. I'd recommend the Malkoff.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3&products_id=15

You should read these before making a decision.

Maglite LED & modules (what Maglite sells)
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/magrev.htm

Terralux MiniStar 5 Model TLE-6EX 3-6 C & D drop in module
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/terralux.htm

TerraLUX MiniStar5 Model TLE-6EXB 2-3 cell C & D drop in module
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/tle6exb.htm

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
or instead of reading one dude's outdated, over-wrought, little understood (by 99.95% of those reading/linking to it) analysis you could read the dozens and dozens of glowing reviews on the unit posted by people who actually USE the things instead of DISMANTLING them.

NA8 - I would have emailed or PM'd this to you first as a courtesy but since you do not accept PM's or emails you left me no choice. I've seen you post these links on many recent threads about the TerraLUX products but I've never seen you once post your own opinion on them or seen anything that would indicate that own or have ever used or even seen them in person. I'm sure Gene makes a fine product and it's great if you're a fan but I have no respect for your effectively bashing a product that a read of your posts would clearly suggest you do not own and have never seen. There are plenty of actual buyers and users of the products who post here. It is not necessary for you to leave your droppings on every post about the TerraLUX drop-ins. Informed debate, logically stated arguments and personal opinions are welcome but this type of post I simply cannot abide.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
For 4.5V or less I prefer the TLE-6EXB - which basically means for most 2-3 cell Maglites. The B version will be brighter with the 3 cells even when the voltage drops below 4V (B is for Boost!) where the 6EX will drop in output as cell voltage drops below that point.

Thanks for the info Matt, makes me wish I wanted more light out of my 1st gen upgraded 3C!

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I've seen you post these links on many recent threads about the TerraLUX products but I've never seen you once post your own opinion on them... but I have no respect for your effectively bashing a product that a read of your posts would clearly suggest you do not own and have never seen. ...Informed debate, logically stated arguments and personal opinions are welcome but this type of post I simply cannot abide.

Hi Matt, sorry to give you so much grief in one week.

I have to say I don't see where I've been bashing TerraLux products. If you could present a link to one of my posts where I actually have written such an opinion I could understand and respond to your complaint better.

After I posted the above links that you responded to, I read this thread just now for the first time:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165615

I see in this thread that you have "ISSUES" with the reviews that I posted links to. I'm sorry if you got the opinion I was posting those links for any other purpose than to point out an interesting reference. To my knowledge I have made no remarks against TerraLux products based on a very quick review of my posts. More importantly I do not share your "ISSUES" with these reviews. I've got a technical background. I've read the reviews more than once, and I do understand 95% of what he's posted. It may surprise you that in the past week I was on the verge of purchasing the TerraLUX TLE-6EX. Would have, except my browser started screwing up and I bailed. My point is you're wrong if you think those technical reviews are somehow in themselves bad for TerraLux sales. I'm sure some people may misunderstand them but if you think there's something bad in them perhaps you could post some "Informed debate, logically stated arguments".

You've posted this opinion:

"To crap on a product because you've taken their circuit apart and think it could/should be better/different is worthless in my opinion unless you go out, build a product and offer it for sale. Even worse IMO is the mindless, unreviewed repitition of OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS as FACT; that's just mob/lemming behavior."

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2102119&postcount=155

Frankly, I don't know what to say to that. I think you've created a monster in your own mind that doesn't exist.

Oh, for what it's worth, I own the Malkoff. Yes, it's very nice ;)

I do have a 4D maglite that is 20 years old and the Malkoff drop in doesn't fit in that one. At this point, whether it gets a Maglite drop in, a Terralux drop in, or a full on Mod is up in the air right now for reasons I won't bore you with.

Matt, as always I appreciate your posting here on CandlePowerForums. Just wish you'd lose the misplaced obsession with those reviews.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi NA8,

It's all good. Your input in the other thread is fine.

My issues is these being referenced each time someone posts that they're considering the TerraLUX 6EX/6EXB something you've done 4-5 times recently with no added argument of your own beyond You should read these before making a decision. ,' to me feels like bashing, especially as it has come from you and others who do not own the product and have no personal experience with it - and yes, I do feel those write-ups reflect poorly on the product. If you were posting to some of the reviews here at the same time, which would show a more balanced approach, I might feel differently because there are a lot more positive reviews than negative.

I'm not obsessed with those reviews; I'm bothered by the thirdhand posting of secondhand information that is out of date, misleading, derogatory and lacking context. I was pretty clear about my feelings in that other thread as well. What's more relevant to a potential buyer - the dozens of glowing positive reviews or one out-dated, overly technical analysis off-site?

phosphor

Enlightened
or instead of reading one dude's outdated, over-wrought, little understood (by 99.95% of those reading/linking to it) analysis you could read the dozens and dozens of glowing reviews on the unit posted by people who actually USE the things instead of DISMANTLING them.

NA8 - I would have emailed or PM'd this to you first as a courtesy but since you do not accept PM's or emails you left me no choice. I've seen you post these links on many recent threads about the TerraLUX products but I've never seen you once post your own opinion on them or seen anything that would indicate that own or have ever used or even seen them in person. I'm sure Gene makes a fine product and it's great if you're a fan but I have no respect for your effectively bashing a product that a read of your posts would clearly suggest you do not own and have never seen. There are plenty of actual buyers and users of the products who post here. It is not necessary for you to leave your droppings on every post about the TerraLUX drop-ins. Informed debate, logically stated arguments and personal opinions are welcome but this type of post I simply cannot abide.
WOW !!....I didn't get that AT ALL from NA8's post. I thought he was just trying to be helpful, and I appreciate the information. My 2 cents.

- regards