Point me to a good but affordable rugged plastic LED light

NickBose

Enlightened
Years ago I bought my dad a Dorcy 4xAA single 5mm LED light and he was amazed by its runtime, a good spot and not-so-bad overall brightness. Now the light is damaged by leaked batteries.

I looked at DX and Kai: almost all of them are metal lights. Is there something like a Streamlight Propoly 4AA but more affordable?

Criteria:
- AA batteries
- rugged design, preferably plastic
- long runtime
- brightness: of course the more the better, but it is last on the list

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Propolymer 2AA is considerably less expensive than the 4AA model. It's similar in brightness to a River Rock 2AAA except is plastic, has a pushbutton switch, and uses AAs.

paulr

Flashaholic
Garrity makes a nice 3aa disposable one for about $5.

I've also seem some tubular 3aa ones (Tektite Trek 4 clone) in the $10 range but am not sure where to get those.

These are about as simple as an led light gets, not brightness champs but good and useful and will run for a long time.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
1)
Dorcy 41-2498 1/2 WATT- 4AA LED FLASHLIGHT W/ BATTERIES
The new one should be much brighter than the old one. Please note the old one are still in some stores so be careful when buying.

2)
Dorcy 41-2946 4AA RUBBER FLASHLIGHT W/BATTERIES
with an upgrade bulb
Dorcy 41-1642 1 WATT- 1.5-8V LED REPLACEMENT MODULE
Nite-Ize L.E.D. Upgrade for C & D Cells
terralux/TLE1
Tectite LPR-113
II deliberatly chose the crappy ($3.99) Illuminator because the faceted reflector works with most of the LED upgrades. Lights with non focussing smooth reflectors do not.
I guess if you are on a budget you are stuck with the nite-ize or Dorcy upgrades. The tectite & terralux upgrades bring the price up to that of the Streamlight propoly lux by the time you add shipping.

3)
see post 2.

4)
Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon