Who's allergic to bees/wasps?

bitslammer

Enlightened
Just saw in the local news that a State Trooper died after being stung by a yellow jacket. That has to leave a poor family just shaking their heads in disbelief as well as grief. The article said he died an hour later after being stung.

I've been stung a few times as a kid. I know I've been hit by honey bees and yellow jackets, but never a wasp or hornet.

I do have very mild asthma (like 1-2 small episodes/year) but that never came into play when stung.

I know that people with known reactions carry epi-pens and those can be the difference between life/death.

What I want to know is has anyone become allergic over time? If you get stung once with no issues does that mean you might be fine for life.

How long do you have to get help if you notice breathing issues and the onset of [SIZE=-1]Anaphylactic shock?

[/SIZE]

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I'm mildly allergic, if that's possible. A few years back I managed to run over a yellow jacket hole with the lawn mower, and was stung twice on the lower leg. That leg got quite swollen below the knee to the point that walking was painful. I think the truly allergic need to move fast with the epi-pen. Don't know about developing a tolerance to stings. It probably depends some on how long since the last one. I know I would be concerned if I was stung around the neck or face.

Geoff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I was 12, I accidentally stepped on a honeybee with bare feet, and was stung.
My foot became swollen & distended (it swelled to ~2x its normal size) and stayed that way for a day or two, but I had no other symptoms.

That was the only time I've ever been stung by any type of stinging insect, so I don't know if I'd have a similar reaction if I were stung today.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, you guys should see the nest of European Hornets that have nested in the soffett of my house. They tend to be quite calm and mild and don't attack unless provoked, unlike those nasty yellowjackets. Its a good thing though because these things are like 2" long!!! They look like yellowjackets on steroids!!!

MSax