Addicting Hobby

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
Well this certainly is an addicting hobby. Less than a week ago I owned one flashlight. (6 D Cell Mag) And I rarely use it as it is in my truck. I stumbled upon this website and I now have a Pelican 7060 and a Surefire L2 on the way...How am I going to explain this to the wife?

jeremyison05

Newly Enlightened
What new lights? I've always had those but I used them at work so you never saw them. :whistle: Good luck, just don't show them all to her at once and you'll probably be ok. :twothumbs

soffiler

Enlightened
What new lights? I've always had those but I used them at work so you never saw them. :whistle: Good luck, just don't show them all to her at once and you'll probably be ok. :twothumbs

My wife tries that all the time. She has one of those "problems" with shoes. When I see her wearing a new pair, and I mention it, she says "what, these old things? I've had these for months". So, be careful - it works both ways! At the very least, you're going to have to beat up those new lights a bit if you think the excuse about work is going to fly. She'll know brandy-new and shiny when she sees it!

In my house, my wife pays the Visa bill, so it is impossible for me to make a purchase that she doesn't know about - how do you guys do it?

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
Oh I take care of everything in that department...I'm not worried. I'm just amazed at how addicting this is.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
This is why the CPF Marketplace exists. Us married guys buy used lights at discount prices from the single guys who are allowed to buy them. This way the lights already look used and the single guys have more cash to buy the nest latest light which will in turn be used and sold to a married guy. It's the circle of life.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
In my house, my wife pays the Visa bill, so it is impossible for me to make a purchase that she doesn't know about - how do you guys do it?

My wife pays the bills too. We both have an allowance and can spend it on what we want.

After spending about $15,000 on lights, I had $9,000 still on a credit card. My wife agreed to pay it off out of our family account and I agreed to only spend what I could pay off when the bill came due. This was made easier because after buying so many lights I don't "need" much more than what ever is the latest and greatest. :grin2:

There were times that I had so many lights ordered at same time that I would lose track of them and recieve a nice supprise in the mail. It was crazy, foolish and fun.

I got off easy because my wife is such a sweetheart. :kiss:

TorchEnvy

Newly Enlightened
Addicting, indeed!

I "manage the books" at my house, too, but occasionally my wife peruses the spreadsheet to see if I'm up to no flashaholic good. :devil:

Therefore, when she buys something online, she generally forwards me the confirmation email so that I can account for the purchase. Today, she ordered a pair of shoes for our daughter (see Surefire-eating toddler in my avatar) and in her forward of the order to me, she added "Less flashlights for you."

Silly woman! A good flashlight costs more than baby shoes! :sssh:

Oh I take care of everything in that department...I'm not worried. I'm just amazed at how addicting this is.

Windscale

Enlightened
There is no better thing to do than to take your wife out walking in the dark more often and get her addicted as well. This is called "double the stakes"!

alberto

Enlightened
Yes, it's addicting. The only way I've found to counter it is to get another expensive hobby or interest. That way, you have no money left for flashlights.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
My wife tries that all the time. She has one of those "problems" with shoes. When I see her wearing a new pair, and I mention it, she says "what, these old things? I've had these for months". So, be careful - it works both ways!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

WELCOME TO THE CLUB:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE FUNNIEST! CAUSE ITS TRUE...LOL

Patriot

Flashaholic
You may have to buy her an EDC for her purse. That usually goes a long way towards breaking her in to your new hobby. :grin2:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yes, an EDC for her purse.

And one or more good lights for HER car.

And make sure that YOU check 'em frequently for battery maintenance.

Always keep 'em in Tip-Top shape.

When she DOES need one, you'll really SHINE !

:naughty:

_

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Addicting?

Yes, but only if you appreciate the right tool for the right job, being prepared for emergencies, changing technology...should I go on? :D

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Guns, cameras, guitars, computers, model airplanes, helicopters, ham radios, tools, flashlights, wives.

Motorbikes. Cars. Not necessarily in that order.

I never managed to get in a hole for 15 grand tho'...

w

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use cash (the amount I want to spend including shipping plus 2 bucks for the credit card fee to put the money onto the card) to buy a Simon Mall gift card (from my local Simon Mall) that works like a credit card. It has a visa logo on it. Then I use the card to buy the light online and have it shipped to my P.O. box. Then if ever questioned, I say that work bought all the techs lights again. Most of the time, it doesn't come up.

Last edited:

soffiler

Enlightened
You may have to buy her an EDC for her purse. That usually goes a long way towards breaking her in to your new hobby. :grin2:

My wife has an Arc AAA-P on her keychain and a Nuwai X-1 in her purse; both running lithium. Both the 3D MagLED's in the house seem to be considered "hers" as well. And, she's tried to steal my SSC-modded Coast Focusing Lenser.

Yet despite all that, when the power goes out, she starts lighting candles!

Women.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Two Things -

1. I handle all the finances in the family, and my wife loves the fact that I deal with the stress of keeping all the bills paid on time, and she spends her pocket money freely (this doesn't work unless you're fairly generous with her.

2. I buy only "TRUNK LIGHTS". What are Trunk Lights? . . . . Trunk Lights are lights that you buy and slip in the trunk of your car, and ease them into the house little by little. And be sure you don't put them all togtether in one place. Did you ever notice that so many of them look so alike that she thinks she's already seen that one, unless you're dumb enough to line them all up together?

- Larry

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I bought my hds here at cpf late one night while my gf was a sleep told her i won it in a raffle she was cool with that till it came in with a thankyou for buying it note on it! Oh well just told her it cost $45 lol she looked at me and said "for that"