Diesel Question

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Most of you know I drive an '03 Ram 2500 with Cummins and think that engine is the STUFF!

Now I was talking to another Cummins owner today and he mentioned something I never thought of.

I know the fuel is getting "cleaner" and therefor it CAN'T be getting better for my engine.

This feller says he puts about 3 pints of 30W Non Detergent motor oil in his fuel tank each fillup.

Could there be (as I think) any benefit to doing this? Certainly the lubricity of the fuel would be enhanced....

I told him about using Acetone.

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
I have had a diesel for 19 years and see no change with the new low sulfur fuel. The old girl just keeps purring. Adding 30W oil adds lubricity as you state, I use a top engine oil all the time it is called Marvel mystery oil, just a light oil. I use it because it seems to keep the injection pump and injectors running clean. I also use a cetane enhancer, Power Source.

Nearing 200K miles, so hoping.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my Diesel was running, Motor's still great, car's toast. I used Marvel or Red Line Diesel Fuel Catalyst. I got that tip from the Diesel Mercedes Yahoo Group. That car had at least 150K or maybe even 250K miles, Broken Odometer (1975 Mercedes 300D non turbo). That baby never smoked, started all the time, had a GM new AC retrofit, And could do 0-60 in six minutes :crackup:

I miss that tank. :mecry:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Motor oil or MMO is fine, but 2-stroke oil is specifically designed to be mixed with fuel and to burn cleanly, and it's CHEAP. Whenever I can't run biodiesel, which has more than enough lubricity, I run a couple quarts of two stroke oil per tank. Farm supply stores around here have it cheap by the gallon or 2.5 gallon jug, or(gasp!) there's always Walmart. The first time I ran 2 stroke oil in my '97 Dodge/Cummins, years ago, was with low sulfur diesel(not the ultra low sulfur diesel that's coming to pumps now and has even lower lubricity). I could actually hear my injection pump and injectors quiet down and the idle smooth out when the lubed fuel hit the pump. Your '03 is probably designed to work just fine with ULSD's lower lubricity. I'd contact Cummins and ask them, or your owner's manual may have some info. No matter what, added lubricity sure won't hurt anything.

YMMV. :buddies:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the Bomber said. My understanding is that there is a considerable reduction in lubricity brought about mainly by the refining process.

I've always used DieselKleen in my turboed 90 F250 7.3 and my MBZ diesels. Like Bomber said, in the Ford, you can hear the system get quieter. You hear the injectors in the MBZ quieten. The MBZ injector pump is primarily lubed by the engine oil.

I'm going to try the 2 cycle oil.

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, so adding a quart per tank of MMO has been good all along. Who knew, but the engine has lasted so it must work.

What I was told is the ultra-low sulfur diesel removed the need for extra lubricity, the sulfur is the scuffing agent. So the new fuel by it's nature is better for the engine. Anyone know if this is true?

I find that the crankcase oil in my truck makes the engine run quieter more than anything else. I use Shell Rotella T 10W-40. Truck is too old to change anything, the body will likely collapse in the next year or so. Such is the salt air.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen HFRR(high frequency reciprocating rig) test results showing that ULSD causes more damage than LSD. Something like a 520 micron scar as opposed to a 350 micron scar. I'll do some Googling when I get time and post the study if I can find it. My conclusion was that ULSD will never go in my diesel engines without some form of lubricity additive.

:buddies:

Edit: Can't find the study, just that the HFRR results of ULSD must be a 520 micron scar or smaller. I haven't been able to find what LSD HFRR results are, or or what results normal diesel would have. If anyone has this information, please post in this thread or PM me. I'll keep searching as I have time.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tarponbill, do I read correctly that you add the Rotella (I use Rot straight 30) to the fuel?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the thinner 10, or 20 weight oils?
Summer is here and many oils seem thin enough when used in moderation for added lubricity.
But what about in the winter months?
And yes I too, do use biodiesel whenever I can. ;)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I use Rotella as my motor oil and remarkably it looks better after 6K miles than the stuff in my '90 F350 7.3 did after first start up!

You may be correct about 2 stroke oil.

What I THINK I'll do is start by adding a pint of 2 stroke when I add my Acetone. 'Cause I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything!

And we don't get "winter" down here. So I wouldn't even consider doing anything different!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's not the same but our Mack trucks at work (300hp6cyl) regularly
pull 62-64,000 lb loads and run 11-12 hours a day without shutting off and we've had 0 problems with the newer fuel. Oil is changed regularly and sampled too. No additives are added by us to the fuel. I'm not saying don't use an additive just relating our experience. We have one truck that pulls a trailer (80,000lb load) no wear problems so far. Most of the fleet has about 250-260k miles on em now.

BVH

Flashaholic
Here's an excellent thread on diesel additives. These guys are pretty sharp. Have some time on your hands to read it. It's long but comprehensive.

ttp://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137922

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Read a LOT of the links provided.

Made a Walmart run and got a gallon of 2 stroke oil, a quart of good additive and a mixing funnel.

I plan to do 12oz of oil and 4oz of additive when I fill up in the AM.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The bottle is out in my truck, but it's grey and "Power" something.

It says it will help a lot of stuff including mileage. I just can't afford to use much of it at fillup so the bottle lasts a while!