Gift upgrade: L1D CE vs. L1T v2.0?

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
I gifted my good bud an L1T a couple years ago and he was just about kid-like in awe.

I'm going to visit him soon and thought I should throw an upgrade of technology at him as a gift.

He could easily adjust to the sophistication of the L1D CE features but for simplicity's sake, the L1T v2.0 with the OP reflector, I'm thinking that's the simpler upgrade. He's NOT a flashoholic.

The L1D CE wins out on the various lumen settings and extra functionality.

Price is not an issue since they are comparably priced.

So again from the L1T which would you prefer to upgrade to?

They each have their pluses!!!

It's a tough decision. I've been nagged about it all day.

I *could* throw a P3D premium 100 at him but I doubt he'd appreciate the lumens.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he desperately doesnt need a strobe(which I doubt) or SOS(which I doubt EVEN MORE) I would had given him the L1T v2.0. If he liked the first one, he should love this one, brighter and with momentary on(and if I'm not wrong, also delivered with the regular reverse clicky). I love my L1D CE, but often I wish that the light had a momentary on button. The beauty with the L1D UI is that you can use it as a simple 2-mode light and not bother with the other modes, but it happens that I cycle in to a mode I don't want when I use the light for burst. And all the different brightness modes arent that different, low and high is all I need. Strobe is fun, but I have never used it for anything other than playing around with it. SOS, well it just annoys me when I get into that mode by accident. So if he's not a gadgetfreak, get him the L1T.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
If he desperately doesnt need a strobe(which I doubt) or SOS(which I doubt EVEN MORE) I would had given him the L1T v2.0. If he liked the first one, he should love this one, brighter and with momentary on(and if I'm not wrong, also delivered with the regular reverse clicky). I love my L1D CE, but often I wish that the light had a momentary on button. The beauty with the L1D UI is that you can use it as a simple 2-mode light and not bother with the other modes, but it happens that I cycle in to a mode I don't want when I use the light for burst. And all the different brightness modes arent that different, low and high is all I need. Strobe is fun, but I have never used it for anything other than playing around with it. SOS, well it just annoys me when I get into that mode by accident. So if he's not a gadgetfreak, get him the L1T.

Lobo,

From your reply, I think I will gift the L1T v2.0.

I had to chuckle about your SOS comment. He lives in Los Angeles. You know, the "town" where when a jumper holds up traffic, the drivers all yell "JUMP already!!!"

You could have a 10,000 lumen totem pole blinking S-O-S and folks wouldn't pay it any mind.

Thanks,

Andy

paulr

Flashaholic
I would go for an L1T v 2.0 unless there was some reason to think he'd want a 2 cell light. I'd rather have 1-cell compactness than a few more lumens, assuming he is already using rechargeables. If he's not, then include an Eneloop kit (2 cells + charger) with the L1T v2.0.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
I would go for an L1T v 2.0 unless there was some reason to think he'd want a 2 cell light. I'd rather have 1-cell compactness than a few more lumens, assuming he is already using rechargeables. If he's not, then include an Eneloop kit (2 cells + charger) with the L1T v2.0.

paulr,

My bud would happily exist with his L1T until the end of time. I just gotta nudge him along every so often.

He and his family landed in Kansas City, MO, last summer (110 F. in daytime) and his (i forget the relation) man of the house was a retired Navy Seal and HE just couldn't get over it, saying "now that's what we could've used!" Or so #1 Bud claimed. Sadly they spent most of the three days in the basement staying cool and didn't partake of the fine BBQ that KC is famous for. The BUMS!!!

All the best,

Andy