Help me fix this problem.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Our facility buys two flashlights similar to the plain ole generic light here http://www.officesupplieslane.com/rayiv2dm.html minus the magnet and strap, per dorm (6 dorms) to be shared amongst 240 offenders. As you can imagine, batteries get used up quick as do bulbs. Now, the flashlights are CHEAP but the cost in batteries and bulbs I'm sure is high.

What I'd like to do, is make a suggestion to the Major about replacing these with an LED flashlight.

Requirements...

Must be roughly the same size as the light in the link above. Slightly smaller is fine. Preferably needs to be a C cell because offenders have been stealing the batteries out of the D cells to use in their portable battery powered fans.

They must be fairly resistant to abuse. They do occasionally get dropped.

They must be CHEAP. They don't have to be $3.00 cheap but they have to be in the $6-$10 range or I don't think I'll be able to convince the powers that be that its a good deal.

Brightness isn't a serious factor but they need to be useable. Dorms are kept dimly lit at night with low wattage "count" lights mounted high on concrete pillars. However, when offenders are rummaging through their property boxes, they do need additional light to do so.

Last thing is, energy efficient. If they don't see an improvement in battery useage, I'm going to look really bad for getting them to go this route. I honestly don't see how they won't though. I'm sure run times HAVE to be better on any low wattage LED than these energy hogs they are using now that seem to always be dim within the first few uses after changing batteries.

I've done some scoping online and not had a lot of luck. Figured I'd hit up Target on Friday and see what they have.

Oh, one other thing, they must be plastic bodied. Metal bodied lights would be bad for obvious reasons within a prison.

Have a good day.