Question for you GM mechanics:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 83 Olds Delta 88 w 307 (5a) engine. I need to know what style seal the rear main is and how difficult it is to remove, especially if it's a rope style seal. I already know how to do the other steps, my question involves just the seal itself. Also your opinion of "stop leak" products as I
am not a believer in fixes in a can but am willing to try it if it will last a year or so. Thanks. :thinking:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
From memory, the rear main is in two pieces (for a 700R4 tranny). It was a PITA if i recall but, it's been about 10 years.

The products that swells the seals are a last resort. I tried and liked a product by I believe "Engine Restore". It was from autozone and you can buy the 4, 6 or 8 cylinder sized can. I always found that nifty! It worked well on bad valve seals one an '87 MC SS with a 305HO :)

Hope this helps!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be easier to pull the motor and trans and just regasket the whole motor?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much are you willing to put into it? I like the G body cars but learned an expensive lession after sinking 15K into an 87 Monte SS.

It was wicked nice but, when I sold it my GF's cousin who hit a telephone pole in 2 weeks, the fun was gone :(

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since I and a friend would be doing all labor the only cost would be for gaskets,oil etc. He and I just put a clutch in a 97 Saturn SC1, I'm sure it can't be any harder than that. The exhaust system is the hardest part, that was all repaired by me, new manifold studs and bolts all coated w anti-seize so it should come apart easily. I figure $100 and a weekend should do it.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody else wants to comment? I'm suprised, I thought there would be alot of mechanics on this forum.