Surefire A2 Aviator add-ons

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Beside the aviatrix, are there any SF A2 add-on or mods on sale somewhere on the net? For an example, I would gladly buy a new kind of tailcap, filters or a different bulb, but can't find anything.

Grubbster

Enlightened
AFAIK the aviatrix is the only aftermarket accessory for the A2. Other than the LEDs, there is not a lot of room for improvement. It is a great light out of the box.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
AFAIK the aviatrix is the only aftermarket accessory for the A2. Other than the LEDs, there is not a lot of room for improvement. It is a great light out of the box.

Yep you're right on that, but was thinking minor mods like tailcaps. The aviatrix already does the job done getting the lighting right :)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bushwacker brand colored filters (size #1) can be stretched over the A2's bezel. Lumens Factory has said that they were thinking of developing a few more lamp options for the A2.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
Bushwacker brand colored filters (size #1) can be stretched over the A2's bezel. Lumens Factory has said that they were thinking of developing a few more lamp options for the A2.

Lumens Factory offering us new lamp options would be nice, but it will probably be a ''20 hour of life'' bulb, which I am not a fan of. If they ever made longer living lamp (MORE than 100h), using the soft start, I would be a taker.

Illum

Flashaholic
the A2 allows the user to have ambient light and a lumen overdose light hose but nothing really in the middle, where its bright enough but also relatively long battery life...something in the luxeonI range

thats the only grudge I have on the light....I own 3 [well ones coming in] so Im not complaining

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Lumens Factory High Output globe.
Would be a great addition to their line up. If for no other reason their products have higher outputs at a lower cost.

A new LED (aftermarket) ring with better tinted (white instead of purple) LED ring would be great too.
It seems as if the head of steam aviatrix had built up has petered out.
I have heard that modding the led is not that difficult.

My A2 has a wonderful regulated hotwire beam. the LED part of the light is not at the top of my light for tint quality.
One would think that with the advent of larger aircraft ( AB 380) that with larger tail sections that new lights would come out in order to accodomate those larger aircraft. (I understand that the B 747 tail section can be lit with the A2. Maybe the A3 will have better Leds and be able to light up the WHOLE tail section of a AB 380. Wouldn't that be great?
Hell I have never used an A2 ti light up a 747 tail section. But I like that I can do it and I want to be able to do the same thing with the Airbus A 380.
More accessories for the A2 would be great. A good holster would be great (horizontal carry please) Filters I suspect are not at the top of the list since the light is available with different color Leds. Personally I wouldn't normally use a filter on this light. the beam is so perfect that throwing a color disk would do nothing for the light in the way I use mine.
Yaesumofo

winston

Enlightened
I must confess to feeling "boarding a roller coaster" excited, whenever LumensFactory's thrown its hat into the ring. I predict they're going to knock this one out of the park.:rock:
-Winston

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
A
One would think that with the advent of larger aircraft ( AB 380) that with larger tail sections that new lights would come out in order to accodomate those larger aircraft. (I understand that the B 747 tail section can be lit with the A2. Maybe the A3 will have better Leds and be able to light up the WHOLE tail section of a AB 380. Wouldn't that be great?
Hell I have never used an A2 ti light up a 747 tail section. But I like that I can do it and I want to be able to do the same thing with the Airbus A 380.

If you can light up the tail of a 747, you will be able to light up the tail of the 380 too with the A2. Top of 747 tail stands at 19.4 meters, 380 tail stands at 24.1 meters. That's only 3.5 meters differences... not so much higher that it would completely overwhelm the throw of the aviator.

http://larsholst.info/blog/2005/01/20/airbus-a380-vs-boeing-747/

Nathan

Enlightened
CPF member fivemega used to offer bulb sockets that allow the A2 to accept inexpensive Strion lamps. It increases output slightly, and gives the beam a rounder shape (instead of the usual oval), but at the expense of reduced runtime.
I haven't seen these around lately though.

DM51

Flashaholic
More accessories for the A2 would be great. A good holster would be great (horizontal carry please)
CPFer qarawol makes horizontal holsters for the A2 and other lights/items.

He made this one for me - the quality is superb:
qarawol-1.jpg