surefire E2e vs E2d

msr

Newly Enlightened
I apologize if this has been asked but the search function is not working! Other than the bezel, is there any other advantage of the E2d over the E2e? Does the 'extra thick glass" make a difference.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Different Tailcap, black colour instead of natural HA, as far as the bezel on mine it throws a bit better than my normal e2e.

Check out www.surefire.com for pics and all the feature differences.

If it is for pocket carry, I would lean you towards the e2e as the crenelated bezel on the e2d can be a hinderence. Just my experience, I bet there will be other opinions about this.

Also, if given a choice between my E2e, E2d, and L4, I would pick my L4 over the others every time. May not be as much 'throw' as the incandescents, but for me it has other features that make up for this (great spill, led etc). Just my opinion.

Hope that helps :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Different Tailcap, black colour instead of natural HA, as far as the bezel on mine it throws a bit better than my normal e2e.

Check out www.surefire.com for pics and all the feature differences.

If it is for pocket carry, I would lean you towards the e2e as the crenelated bezel on the e2d can be a hinderence. Just my experience, I bet there will be other opinions about this.

Also, if given a choice between my E2e, E2d, and L4, I would pick my L4 over the others every time. May not be as much 'throw' as the incandescents, but for me it has other features that make up for this (great spill, led etc). Just my opinion.

Hope that helps :)

I really prefer the E2e myself. It's short and simple. The E2d is uncomforable in my pocket and has too much extra jazz on it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2x form factor is one of my favorites. I have both. If its for pocket carry get a E2e. I use a V20 holster to carry my E2D. My E2D came with very sharp teeth and will shred clothing very easily if not careful. In fact the teeth are chewing up my V20 holster.

The E2D is a very cool looking light. I've got an older version with the domed lense. It's supposed to be more impact resistant. It just looks cool.

Oops, to answer your question, the E2D will give you a false sense of security. The "Walter Mitty Syndrome." I think I will be able to flash, bash, and dash with mine. On paper it works, on the street...

kelmo

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Personally I prefer the E2D because of the tailcap - it can tailstand!! :grin2:

Since I carry the light in my cargo pocket using the belt clip, the bezel doesn't eat through any of my clothes. It's more like a kubotan than the regular E2E because the tail end side can be used as well. (E2E just has the rubber switch that protrudes).

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I never noticed that the E2D has thicker Pyrex! That would be nice to have across the entire E series. I dropped one of my E2Es onto a concrete floor once and the Pyrex developed what looks like a bubble in it. I wonder if the thicker Pyrex would prevent stuff like that.

quokked

Enlightened
I apologize if this has been asked but the search function is not working! Other than the bezel, is there any other advantage of the E2d over the E2e? Does the 'extra thick glass" make a difference.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... *meh*

The main differences are,
- E2d Tailstands, and the tailcap is protected by this shroud so theres no accidental activations
On standard E2e's the tailcap is not protected and unless you use lockout the tailcap can be activated accidentally
(i've melted the top of a SF nylon hoster in this situation and the E2e got too hot to touch)

- The Crenulations in the E2d bezel are handy to know if the light is turned on face down...

- The E2d is lightly taller than this E2e-SG mostly due to the impact bezel adding a bit of height

- I think the Black HA-III looks nicer over the SG or HAIII lights too

Last edited:

msr

Newly Enlightened
I have received a couple of e mails directing me to look at the E2L. It looks interesting.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have received a couple of e mails directing me to look at the E2L. It looks interesting.

It is a great light! 45 Lumens for 9 hours in regulation (according to a runtime test here by a CPF member who's name I cannot recall, sorry), what's not to like? There is one in my pocket right now.

carrot

Flashaholic
My E2L has now become one of my favorite lights. Make sure to pick up the new version with "KX2" etched on the bezel.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the E2e, E2O, L4, E2D, and the old style E2L. I sold the E2D and L4, I preferred the regular E2e over the E2D, much easier to carry, easier on the pockets, and a newer style E2e with the semi-crenelated bezel will still hurt like hell if you hit someone hard with it.

If I were to lose all of my E2X lights today, I would buy a new style E2L and be done with it.