Arc AAA problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by karlthev on 8-02-07 HERE.

My mother in law still has the Arc AAA I got her several years ago. Recently the little bugger has been giving her some problems--sporadic performance. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The contact point in the head is flattened quite a bit and I am presuming that the contact is insufficient to give a reliable electrical path. I have cleaned the contact though, checked the battery with a meter, wiped out the threads and still, sometimes on, sometimes off. This is not a high tech light here folks, where to look next?

Karl

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

BT13243508-02-2007 03:27 PM
Re: Arc AAA problems

Did the battery nipple or positive section of the battery get pushed in? That happened to me a few weeks back and i just replaced the battery, now it works fine.

karlthev08-02-2007 03:28 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

No, that doesn't seem to be it. The contact point is a bit crushed but not on the battery.

Karl

greenLED08-02-2007 03:45 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlthev (Post 2050337)
The contact point is a bit crushed but not on the battery.

Reshape the solder blob?

Did you clean the (-) contact (inside the tube)? Wipe the threads real well?

karlthev08-02-2007 03:55 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

"Reshape the solder blob"--I think that's the ticket but, I'm a bit antsy about waving a soldering iron around the head and LED. Am I just a big chicken? Tips?

Karl

greenLED08-02-2007 04:52 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

Take the foam ring off.
Clean everything real well using the pencil eraser trick, and then some alcohol.
Make sure the soldering iron is warm enough
As you melt the old solder, add some new solder.

A little trick that I used to use was to solder a small metal ring as part of the contact blob. I forget what I used exactly, though. The metal ring is harder than the solder material and won't get flattened with time.

karlthev08-03-2007 03:19 AMRe: Arc AAA problems

I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks!

Karl

karlthev08-03-2007 03:08 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

It works, it works!!! Thanks. Simple fix should get me points with the MIL!

Karl

greenLED08-03-2007 03:29 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

So, which of the above did the trick?

karlthev08-03-2007 04:47 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

Well, I dunno??:thinking: I cleaned the threads, used an eraser on the contact point, wiped the head contact area with a paper towel wet with acetone, removed the foam washer, added a blob of solder and, SHAZAM, it worked!! Probably is working better now than it ever did!! I think it was the solder blob bringing the contact point into range so to speak. Thanks!!!

Karl

greenLED08-03-2007 04:54 PMRe: Arc AAA problems

Cool.

If it ever stops working again and no amount of cleaning will help, use a flat-tipped screwdriver against the crimp and give the screwdriver a quick tap with a hammer. Repeat a couple of times around the crimp.

If that doesn't work, send it back to Peter. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.