Neat Lanyard Solution for Novatac

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
Juz to share what I have discovered when toying with some Surefire lanyard rings to overcome the less than perfect lanyard retention design for the Novatac.

You would first need to get a Surefire tailcap lanyard ring (either a Z26 or Z33) The Z26 or Z33 by itself would be too small to fit on the Novatac, while the bezel ring (Z12) would be too big for the task, so please buy the right lanyard ring.

You would need to insert the ring into a solid round body (minature anvil or anything you could improvise) & use a hammer & tap lightly on the ridge for the lanyard to increase the circumference of the ring to fit loosely in the gap b/w the tailcap & the body. Repeat the process until you got the right size.

Make sure your Novatac is around to ensure that the fitting is perfect & the light could be switched on with the ring attached.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I was hoping that one of my LeefRings would fit, but none do. As they are aluminum this mod won't work. I'll have to see if I have one of those lanyard rings lying around somewhere... I probably do.

Maybe we can get Leef to make a run of LeefRings for the NovaTacs/HDS'??? :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS sold a lanyard ring which should work just fine as a lanyard attachment point for the novatac. I only found them yeaterday on Lighthound.com.
I was supprised and have a couple on order. I will report my experience with them when they come.
Yaesumofo

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
For either Novatac or HDS EDC, try what I use. Obtain a stout neoprene o-ring of a size that will fit tightly around the "waist" portion of the light *after being passed around twice*. In other words, about twice the circumference. Thread it through a small o-ring, give it at twist and then roll the ends over the light. (Gee, a picture would be worth a hundred words here...). Anyway, this gives you a tight, doubled wrap of o-ring (kind of like a stout rubber band, if you get my drift) holding a small o-ring that sticks out a right angles. Clip to the little ring, or pass a cord through it, etc. Very secure but easy to remove when you want to.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is it I was so exicited to find it I did not see the fine print.
It looks like the part can be expanded a bit to fit I am still going to try.
It really would be ideal.
For all I know the Doesn't fit messge comes from the competition who may not want their accessories used on the upstart.
Who known at $8.00 If it doesn't work on the NovaTac It will work on one of my HDS EDC's so it reall is a win win deal.
That small print thing get's me every time.
Yaesumofo

Is it this?:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1238

There's a note on the product page stating:

"Does not fit NovaTac"

Bummer.

Dave

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I simply used a constrictor knot around the 'waist' of the light with a hitch already in the cord. Working really well so far.

4m2c9if.jpg

Dadof6

Enlightened
Try this approach. Using a surefire lanyard, cut to size you want, and then using the clip that comes with the Novatac, insert both ends through hole on the clip, using some small dull isntrument to force the ends through.

Once you have the ends through the tiny hole on the clip, take some dental floss wrap it around the ends and tie it (about 3/8ths of an inch is perfect). Then take a match and heat the floss and rope until it melts just a bit to keep the ends from fraying.

The same melting process of the ends that are wrapped with floss will create an end to the lanyard that will have a near impossible time coming back throug the hole and you then have a wrist lanyard attached to the Novatac which doesn't mess up the finish on the Novatak.